Ofsted chief warns of change for childminder regulations: Nursery World article
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted chief warns of change for childminder regulations: Nursery World article

How many of you have had the email through with this is in

Does this sound like the words of someone who hasn't got a clue what childminding is about or how good we are?

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/b...eryWorldUpdate

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sir Michael, (pictured), said, ‘In childminding, the registration process is pretty expensive.We spend a lot of money on it. But we need to thinkabout the future and how we inspect childminding institutions. I don’t think we can carry on doing it as we have been doing. Every time a youngster goes into a childminding setting….two children…that’s unsustainable.

What on earth is he on about? i dont understand what this means....am i stupid?
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just read it too and my impression of it is that he thinks childminders are just delivering care and support And not educating. Clearly this bloke has not got a clue of the job we actually do. When he mentions the outcomes for Children are 'stark' when compared, I get the impression he is talking about childminders...that's just my thoughts.
    I actually find it quite insulting. I know that in my local area, there are no Outstanding nurseries and preschool doesn't go the extra mile, Staff I talk to are only there becAuse it fits in with wchool hours and even the leader just eants to get a GOOD to keep ofsted happy, whereas I seem to constantly putting children first, going above and beyond my expected duties, counselling families etc... Oh and th elist goes on. I'm sure all you lovely ladies are the same. So it really peeves me when I read something like this about how we're simply good for 'care' I.e changing nappies, feeding and ensuring their safety.

I coulda go on but I wont
    Last edited by MAWI; 02-03-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

just sounds like yet another person who has no idea of what we actually do and what we deliver. Everything we as childminders do we do with the EYFS in mind. Lets just see who else wants to undermine us and make us out to be lazy people sitting on our bums babysitting all day
    That's made me really cross now

xxxxx

June 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Sir Michael Wilshaw should come and spend a week with me and see what we do all day then let's ask his opinion again I bet he would soon change his opinion. When I heard he was fronting Ofsted next I was in a meeting with some teachers, ofsted workers etc and he was not very popular he headed up the academies before this so has very little experience of early years. People like this make me

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It was the word 'Institution'. I am not an institution that is the whole point.

I don't know what people like this think that children should be doing at 0-5 but we are the laughing stock of Europe the way we institutionalize our children and 'teach' them at such a young age. Most European children don't go to school until they are 6 or 7.

Is it a wonder we have so many teenage problems and they switch off so early. When will these people learn?

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I take that he thinks very little of childminders . Ignorant
    As I have just posted on another thread, I am slowly losing the will to childmind. I now expect increased bashing from all parties who will jump on this stupid mans comments, what hope have we got in the future within this governments plans for Early Years education.
    I am seething
    Carol xx

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Carol M. I feel that no matter how much I do, (studying 15 hours a week, keeping up to date etc in my spare time,: All with a view to improve outcomes for children) we are still held in such low regard.

Seriously thinking of a career change in the near future

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It's no wonder really that the inspections are all over the place when this is the attitude of the chief inspector.

Jan 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Unhappy CM

He's going to set Childminders back to being seen as babysitters and not professionals at all!

I have also emailed NCMA about it. Unbelievable!

Oct 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we need to get someone on all our behaves to write a report that we could all put our names to telling him exactly what we do and why we do it, the hours we work, our part in the EYFS, the extra hours of training ect, ect , ect and invite him to spend a day with one of us.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    It was the word 'Institution'. I am not an institution that is the whole point.

I don't know what people like this think that children should be doing at 0-5 but we are the laughing stock of Europe the way we institutionalize our children and 'teach' them at such a young age. Most European children don't go to school until they are 6 or 7.

Is it a wonder we have so many teenage problems and they switch off so early. When will these people learn?
    I could not agree with you more and have said this many times myself. Luckily my son goes to a school where many of the teachers have spent time in Europe and while they admit children are expected to hit certain levels at certain ages they have an excellent nurturing attitude toward teaching. They would rather support the individual child than be the best at the league tables. They are completely supportive and I am so happy that my son goes to this school and its not all academic advantage shoved down his neck from 4!
    While we all deliver the EYFS we can offer so much more in terms of support, care, individual growth etc etc which are so much more important in developing a strong confident child! He says care and support as if that is the worse thing we could provide but we have the advantage that we offer this on top of everything else and can be far better at it because of the unique situation of the environment in which we welcome children in. sorry not putting this very well but it just seems like some people have a very strong view of childminders and not in a good way!

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's time they let us go completely!
    After all the most important thing is happy well cared for kids it's not about the eyfs and ticking boxes.
    I for one think life would be much happier without ofsted and their constant damands of us.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol M View Post
    Well I take that he thinks very little of childminders . Ignorant
    As I have just posted on another thread, I am slowly losing the will to childmind. I now expect increased bashing from all parties who will jump on this stupid mans comments, what hope have we got in the future within this governments plans for Early Years education.
    I am seething
    Carol xx
    Exactly what I have been thinking over the past few days with all the negativity towards us . I'm seriously considering going back to nannying.

xxx

onceinabluemoon Guest

Well, what an insult.

I don't know what to think, but it feels like they've put us up there on a level playing field and are now saying we can't be there because they messed up finances and can't afford us to be...
    Last edited by onceinabluemoon; 02-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish the right hand knew what the left hand was doing. Sounds like he would want us to go back to the old ways, pre EYFS, and concentrate on care not education as we don't have a clue and can't deliver it

Does he really know what we do? Liz Bayram is sticking up for us

Actually I liked the old days I am with pinky33 bog off and let me do my job! Oh and I am not an institution I have a home which I share
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

When Social Services inspected us, we had regular contact with the same person who inspected us. She came and spent a morning with us, watching the children and talking to us. Not something that happens with Ofsted!

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parsleypetal View Post
    Sir Michael, (pictured), said, ‘In childminding, the registration process is pretty expensive.We spend a lot of money on it. But we need to thinkabout the future and how we inspect childminding institutions. I don’t think we can carry on doing it as we have been doing. Every time a youngster goes into a childminding setting….two children…that’s unsustainable.

What on earth is he on about? i dont understand what this means....am i stupid?
    how I'm reading it, is that he saying its too expensive (for ofsted) to go into a 'small' childminding setting with few children attending, compared to a larger 'nursery' setting with 50-100 children. Its probably me being thick now

cant help feeling that its a massive step back for chilldminders, after fighting for so long to be recognised along side nurseries and pre-schools and for us all singing from the same song sheet
    Helen xXx

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

agree with all of the above especially Carol M and Jellybean, i would definitely sign something, what ever happened to the importance of childrens secure attachments and emotional and physical well being needing to be high before they can even think of learning

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nell57 View Post
    how I'm reading it, is that he saying its too expensive (for ofsted) to go into a 'small' childminding setting with few children attending, compared to a larger 'nursery' setting with 50-100 children. Its probably me being thick now

cant help feeling that its a massive step back for chilldminders, after fighting for so long to be recognised along side nurseries and pre-schools and for us all singing from the same song sheet
    right...i get it now....it was very badly written though.

and a load of complete too!!!!!
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast