Panarama, the rising cost of childcare
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Panarama, the rising cost of childcare

What's everyones views on last nights programme?

What people are forgetting is that we childminders are trying to make a living too. I had to go part time from my job because I couldn't afford the childcare fees for my daughter to attend nursery full time, but it didn't mean I wanted to sit on my backside and do nothing so I registered and TRAINED to be a professional childcare provider, A childminder! I work for less than the average wage, do more hours than most, including unsociable hours, jump through hoops to satisfy OFSTED, spend hours updating and completing paperwork and never get a tea break! AND they think we charge too much!

Could it be that the government aren't supporting working parents enough and there's no bonuses for Mums going back to work?

I'm just hoping that people who watched last night aren't thinking that childminders are greedy and see that we're trying to earn a wage to support our own families, in a job that's not as easy as some would think.

Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have recorded last nights programme but am just watching The Wright Stuff and my blood is boiling!! He's just said childminders charge £10 per hour! You are right that we are trying to make a living too - they are making out that we are all millionaires! We wish! I charge £3.30 per hour including meals. We are looking after their most precious things in the world I cannot believe these peoples views!

Not sure I can watch panorama after this! It's making me soooooooo angry!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle3005 View Post
    What's everyones views on last nights programme?

What people are forgetting is that we childminders are trying to make a living too. I had to go part time from my job because I couldn't afford the childcare fees for my daughter to attend nursery full time, but it didn't mean I wanted to sit on my backside and do nothing so I registered and TRAINED to be a professional childcare provider, A childminder! I work for less than the average wage, do more hours than most, including unsociable hours, jump through hoops to satisfy OFSTED, spend hours updating and completing paperwork and never get a tea break! AND they think we charge too much!

Could it be that the government aren't supporting working parents enough and there's no bonuses for Mums going back to work?

I'm just hoping that people who watched last night aren't thinking that childminders are greedy and see that we're trying to earn a wage to support our own families, in a job that's not as easy as some would think.
    Twinkle there is a whole thread here and a link to the BBC Complaints Site.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/...light=Panorama

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched it too and felt that it wasn't an accurate portrayal, but it was only half an hour long. It didn't make it clear about the rising cost to providers of resources, fuel, food etc. which unfortunately have to be passed on to parents, although it did explain that governmnet help in the form of tax credits is being reduced, and vouchers have been frozen at the same rate for six years. In Norway and other countries childcare is heavily subsidised by the government but it does come at a cost of very high taxation for everyone, not sure that would go down well in this country especially amongst the childless. Is there any way we could reply to the mistakes made on the wright show?

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

It made me very cross how they constantly linked childminders and nurseries yet they didnt speak to one childminder. If they had, we could have explained that, for example in my situation, I have an 18 month old myself which means that I can take another two under fives. At £3.50 per hour including meals, that means I can earn the grand sum of £7.00 per hour during the day. Then when you take off food, any toddler club fees, petrol to get there, soft play days etc, I will probably clear about £4.50 per hour. I think we should all club together and make them do another programme showing the point of view of the childminder. Childminders and nurseries are in no way one and the same. Very unfair I thought.

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just complained to the BBC about the misrepresentation to childminders. Think we should all get together and make our own documentary!!

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Also the programme never actually mentioned cost per hour (other than once to say the average cost per week for a child in 25 hours was £100). The rest of the time it was just things like "my childcare bill is £900 a month" - well that might be 3 children full time which is actually pretty good! Or it could have meant 1 child part time which is awful. They didn't give it any context.