Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Advice please

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice please

A lady has asked me to look after her two children one is two the other five months it's in her house and it's 3 days for two and half hours waiting for her hubby to get back, I have a ten and half month baby- my own child, I assume I must apply for varation from ofsted even tho it's in their home, am I correct? What do people think the likeness is?

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

if its in her house then you cannot work as a cm, you will have to work as a nanny.

but no variation will be needed as different rules apply.
    Marnie x

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on your insurance. I'm with MM and mine covers me to babysit mindees at their homes, I'm sure you would still need a variation though.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unsure, I would have thought you would be a nanny but havent looked into childminding at someone elses house before.

If you are going to be a nanny then no variation would be required....and no paperwork (unless things have changed)

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

http://www.*************/about_ncma/be...insurance.aspx

if you are with NCMA (PL Insuranc)they provide cover for babysitting but you have to complete a checklist

Cx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I phoned ofsted- it's not childminding and believe it or not you don't even have to be registered its basically babysitting.

Ofsted are so helpful and polite

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

So when does it become ''nannying'' then and not babysitting?

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie1989 View Post
    I phoned ofsted- it's not childminding and believe it or not you don't even have to be registered its basically babysitting.

Ofsted are so helpful and polite
    BUT to protect yourself you need to ensure your Public Liability insurance covers you

Cx

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

if I've read the op correctly, she is to go and work in someone else's house for 2 and a half days a week.................... how is that either babysitting or chlidminding, as as a cm you can only work from your own home??????????
    Marnie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

It's being a 'home carer' ofsted explained this and you don't need to be registered, yea I agree must be insured to protect your self so it relys on your insurance really, if unsure ring ofsted as I have found out.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnieb View Post
    if I've read the op correctly, she is to go and work in someone else's house for 2 and a half days a week.................... how is that either babysitting or chlidminding, as as a cm you can only work from your own home??????????
    That's correct can only childmind in your own home

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

That's correct - it's a home childcarer and being registered is not a requirement, it's something you can choose to do an a voluntary basis.

I'm a registered childminder, but also registered as a home childcarer as I have worked as a Nanny in the past. The two are completely separate and in my experience parents prefer a registered Nanny and the fact I was registered as a childminder also, worked in my favour with regards to the training etc you need to have.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady756 View Post
    That's correct - it's a home childcarer and being registered is not a requirement, it's something you can choose to do an a voluntary basis.

I'm a registered childminder, but also registered as a home childcarer as I have worked as a Nanny in the past. The two are completely separate and in my experience parents prefer a registered Nanny and the fact I was registered as a childminder also, worked in my favour with regards to the training etc you need to have.
    Thats just what ofsted said I'm on all registers but have filled in home carer application, the family are glad I'm a childminder as it proves I have all relevant documents in place, however they know they don't need a childminder
    Thanks for clarifying tho

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnieb View Post
    No its for 21/2 hours a day for 3 days a week to wait for Dad to get home so it is babysitting but in order to be covered by her Public Liability Insurance if she is with NCMA she need to complete one of their Babysitting check lists.

Here:

http://www.shop.*************/shop/Bab...Checklist.html