Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not feeling good about this

A parent has asked me if I will become accredited to recieve NEF.
    So Ive had a visit and need to do a business plan. Just been forwarded the template and after 10mins Ive got a headache already..Im so upset now

She went through it with me yesterday but now Ive sat down and looked through it, its just so hard. Its just so formal...
    Its asking for:
    internal and external opportunities/threats
    What key groups are going to be interacting with your business
    How are you going to sell places and how are you going to keep them
    How are you going to be flexible with hours etc
    Marketing strategies/customer strategies

Arrgghhhhhh......i dont know??.....LOL

aug 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would be intrested in the replys to this, as i was thinking of doing this but want to know more first

Aug 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a parent a few weeks ago who told me she wanted me to become accredited so she could have funding with me as well as at the pre-school she attends

I told her I don't want to go through all the paperwork just for the one child as only have her of that age group. she will only be with me until next September as she will then go to school out of the catchment area that i pick up from.

If I did it I would do it because I want to not because a parent wants or has told me to.

Hope you manage to fill it in okay

Pipsqueak Guest

I didn't do a business plan to become accredited. All I done was prove how I can and do meet the CARE and LEARNING criteria.

Personally cannot see the point of a business plan... its extra bumpf and waffle. I'd be questioning the purpose of it

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Trouble is I do care a lot about my business and I thrive to offer the best service I can. But coming to write it down is so hard.

Silly questions like 'Who is going to interact with your setting' Parents who are looking to go to work........
    'How are you going to sell childcare places to exisiting customers? Well...Im not unless they ask me...
    I'm not going to ask a parent.....'Tommys had a good day today, oh by the way can I sell a thursday afternoon to you?

Describe how the customers are going to be approached....They approach me if they are looking for childcare not the other way around??

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bexc View Post
    , oh by the way can I sell a thursday afternoon to you?
    Sorry, ihave nothing constructive to offer but did at that

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solly View Post
    I had a parent a few weeks ago who told me she wanted me to become accredited so she could have funding with me as well as at the pre-school she attends

I told her I don't want to go through all the paperwork just for the one child as only have her of that age group. she will only be with me until next September as she will then go to school out of the catchment area that i pick up from.

If I did it I would do it because I want to not because a parent wants or has told me to.

Hope you manage to fill it in okay
    Same here, they don't realise how much extra work it means for us and we also have to attend X amount of meetings per year. I will only do that kind of thing for myself, not so that a parent can save some money at the expense of my own family time.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bexc View Post
    Trouble is I do care a lot about my business and I thrive to offer the best service I can. But coming to write it down is so hard.

Silly questions like 'Who is going to interact with your setting' Parents who are looking to go to work........
    'How are you going to sell childcare places to exisiting customers? Well...Im not unless they ask me...
    I'm not going to ask a parent.....'Tommys had a good day today, oh by the way can I sell a thursday afternoon to you?

Describe how the customers are going to be approached....They approach me if they are looking for childcare not the other way around??
    yes but exactly what is the purpose of a business plan in becoming accredited. you are already running a (succesful) business therefore a business plan such as what you are describing is a pointless exercise. Its all silly speak that is so not applicable.

Who is going to interact with your setting....... well people you accost randomly in the street and force yoru childcare on of course.

I am all for looking at the bigger picture but I am successfully accredited without unnecessary silly speak.

I care very much about my business - like you.. however its MY business and I run it the way I see fit and to benefit me financially.....

Post Thanks / Like

If you look you can see a couple of other threads about accreditation. I am doing it and haven't been asked to do any type of business plan. It looks like all LA's do it differently.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [I
    bexc;1042505] A parent has asked me if I will become accredited to recieve NEF.
    So Ive had a visit and need to do a business plan. Just been forwarded the template and after 10mins Ive got a headache already..Im so upset now

She went through it with me yesterday but now Ive sat down and looked through it, its just so hard. Its just so formal...
    Its asking for:
    internal and external opportunities/threats
    What key groups are going to be interacting with your business
    How are you going to sell places and how are you going to keep them
    How are you going to be flexible with hours etc
    Marketing strategies/customer strategies

Arrgghhhhhh......i dont know??.....LOL[/I]
    I agree with the others ONLY do this if you want to, not because a parent wants to. I didn't have to do a business plan either but here are my thoughts on what you need:

Internal / external opportunities / threats: You will let all existing parents know once you are accredited and that they can access 3-4 year old funding through you if they wish. You will include the fact that you can offer funded places on any advertising you do. Not sure about threats though.

Key groups who interact with your business: Working parents, possibly those whose hours don't fit into the usual pre-school hours and those working shift patterns, children's centre staff - who once they know you are accredited may also be able to promote the fact,

How are you going to sell places?: As above - you will ensure all existing parents know that you are now able to offer funded places once their child turns three and that they will be able to combine this with group settings if they wish. You will also tell all new families who approach you, you will include it on advertising and add it to the info that you FIS hold about you.

How are you going to be flexible on hours?: EASY - you are open 8-6pm (for example) and willing to work whatever hours parents need to best fit around their work. This is where childminders beat every other setting hands down!

Marketing / customer strategies: As above

I'm sure there are lots of things I haven't thought of but this might start you off if you decide to go ahead with it. Local authorities have to show that they are meeting the needs of ALL parents so having some accredited childminders means they can show that they are meeting the needs of those parents that work unusual hours. They also have a duty to support you in ensuring your business is sustainable so I assume that is why they are asking you to provide a business plan.

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I also didn't do a business plan - Had used a lot of what I had put into my SEF to complete the questions I was asked. Good Luck - I have only recently being accredited.
    CWR