Do you have a "Grab bag"?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you have a "Grab bag"?

I am just sorting out my fire safety and evac procedures. I currently have a key on a hook next to my door. I am thinking of making a grab bag but not quite sure what to put in it. I have got a small first aid kit, contact cards for all the kids, an emergency phone (Pay As You Go) charged and tested weekly. What else would/should I put in?

I remember one we had from work and that had a whistle, torch, pen and paper etc but dont know why I would need that... Am I missing anything?

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG have never thought of anything like that.
    Nicki xxx

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of having a phone in one, what a good idea
    Maybe some of the foil emergency blankets if you haven't already got some in your 1st aid kit. A torch is a good idea now it's getting dark earlier, the path to my house is really dark so I might add one to my bag.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Helen79 View Post
    I A torch is a good idea now it's getting dark earlier, the path to my house is really dark so I might add one to my bag.
    Ahhh now that is why I post in these forums lol... Good point.

Post Thanks / Like

My set up is just to take my normal bag out as I now keep my front door keys in it as well as the emergency phone which I carry as standard along with my normal mobile, I have my purse in it...just the things I might need normally

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an emergency bag in the car all the time and it says on my emergency procedure that we would which ever way we get out of the house go to the front and get in the car to keep safe. If needed I would move it off the front drive and park safely until help arrived or to my nearest childminder friend. I have a sealed envelope by each door with emergency contact details for each child and I have my main keys by the front door and there is a car key on the back door key ring.

I carry my mobile with me all the time. In a pocket or in my bra!!

Bottles of water, everlasting milk, baby milk if I have one that age, disposable cups, beakers and a platex bottle with the disposable liners.

Biscuits, cereal bars, jars of baby food and spoons.

Space blankets, old socks

Fleece blankets

Torch

A few toys and books.

First Aid Kit

Changing stuff and nappies

Portable Potty with bags and toilet paper

Oh and I do have some cash in the car in case.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I have an emergency bag in the car all the time and it says on my emergency procedure that we would which ever way we get out of the house go to the front and get in the car to keep safe. If needed I would move it off the front drive and park safely until help arrived or to my nearest childminder friend. I have a sealed envelope by each door with emergency contact details for each child and I have my main keys by the front door and there is a car key on the back door key ring.

Bottles of water, everlasting milk, baby milk if I have one that age, disposable cups, beakers and a platex bottle with the disposable liners.

Fleece blankets

Torch

A few toys and books.

First Aid Kit

Blimey!!

If I'm ever in an emergency situation I hope I'm at your house at the time!

You are Mrs organised - very impressive!!

To answer the original question - no I don't have a grab bag but I think I'm going to put one together after reading this as it sounds a very sensible idea

P.S. Just wanted to mention that I was told it's not a good idea to carry a mobile in your bra - there's a risk from the mobile to the delicate breast tissue which could cause cancer. Don't know if it's proven or not and don't want to alarm anyone, but thought I'd share x
    Last edited by Cazz; 29-11-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Cazz x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Fleece blankets

Torch

A few toys and books.

First Aid Kit

Now THATS what I call being organised

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No. If I had to evacuate then I'd be going round to a friends house, or the unit evac point. All needs will be met there.
    I have stuff in car like most people in case I break down or get delayed etc, but not for going to my safe evac place on foot.

Penny1959 Guest

I have a grab bag - it is the same one I use when go out - so first aid kit, bottle water, cups (found some really good stacking ones that can be used with or witout lid in Poundland, snack, contact numbers, my diabetic stuff, nappies, wipes, nappy bags, folding changing mat, dog poo kit, small purse with emergency money.

If a planned trip I take out poundland cups and put in mindees usual cups, add purse.

Used to keep my front door - but now keep in room where we play - mobile phone also there and car keys - as realised that may not be exiting via front door in an emergency

Like Rickysmith's idea of bag in car - so going to add one to my car - still have grab bag - but one in car would have blankets, wellies for emergency use if exited without shoes, - buggy, bigger first aid kit and more snacks / diabetic stuff kept in car anyway.

Penny

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Same as singingcatus. Blimey rickysmiths wouldnt even think about having all that

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

OH my word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not sure i could fit all those things in my car as well as all the children.

As my mum lives almost next door think i would go there where she would have most things i need, always have mobile fone to hand with contact numbers

Is a grab bag a requirement these days?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
    Blimey!!

If I'm ever in an emergency situation I hope I'm at your house at the time!

You are Mrs organised - very impressive!!

To answer the original question - no I don't have a grab bag but I think I'm going to put one together after reading this as it sounds a very sensible idea

P.S. Just wanted to mention that I was told it's not a good idea to carry a mobile in your bra - there's a risk from the mobile to the delicate breast tissue which could cause cancer. Don't know if it's proven or not and don't want to alarm anyone, but thought I'd share x

I think the same way as for men not carrying their phone in their pocket and the concern about those who are on the phone all the time. To a large degree these theories have been found unproven. I did make it sound as if it was in there all the time didn't I! Don't worry its not it is usually on the table very close or in a pocket or if out on the buggy or in the side pocket of my bag.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    OH my word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not sure i could fit all those things in my car as well as all the children.

As my mum lives almost next door think i would go there where she would have most things i need, always have mobile fone to hand with contact numbers

Is a grab bag a requirement these days?
    They do fit into quite a small bag with the blankets on top. I do have a huge boot though!!

I forgot to add in the winter I always have a spade in the boot and I have rubber mats in the car in case I get caught in snow.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    I have a grab bag - it is the same one I use when go out - so first aid kit, bottle water, cups (found some really good stacking ones that can be used with or witout lid in Poundland, snack, contact numbers, my diabetic stuff, nappies, wipes, nappy bags, folding changing mat, dog poo kit, small purse with emergency money.

If a planned trip I take out poundland cups and put in mindees usual cups, add purse.

Used to keep my front door - but now keep in room where we play - mobile phone also there and car keys - as realised that may not be exiting via front door in an emergency

Like Rickysmith's idea of bag in car - so going to add one to my car - still have grab bag - but one in car would have blankets, wellies for emergency use if exited without shoes, - buggy, bigger first aid kit and more snacks / diabetic stuff kept in car anyway.

Penny

I can see the logic in that Penny unless you have 4 under 5s and if you have to carry any of them it might be hard to carry the bag as well. That is why I decided to put mine in the car which is always parked on the drive and we would assemble in or drive a distance away in to wait for help.

Penny1959 Guest

I can see the logic in that Penny unless you have 4 under 5s and if you have to carry any of them it might be hard to carry the bag as well. That is why I decided to put mine in the car which is always parked on the drive and we would assemble in or drive a distance away in to wait for help.
    You have a point there - however have thought of that and my bag has a long strap and I carry like I do my handbag - strap over head and arm through it - so both hands free.

Penny