Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Teachers strike

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Both my children are off and I have text my two favourite families to say I have a space for them - is this wrong??? I don't really care .... I'm going to have a lovely day with lovely children and be paid extra for it.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I decided I would charge half if they dont attend so no one is coming and I get a lovely day with my two high school sons, got a letter from primary last week to say they werent closing so younger two will be in. Think cinema and retail therapy might be on the cards,younger two hate shopping so its ideal opportunity. And dh is on strike so can collect the little ones

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

our local primary still hasn't informed us and preschool as well - not even sure where they stand. I have too many parents fighting for not enough spaces and will probably be scrabbling around tuesday night to make it work. Joy! Its not even that I want the cash to be honest - its a pretty busy day wednesday anyway!
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just sent my invoices out with a polite note to ask who will want cover.
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

My own children are no longer at school, so in theory I don't know anything about it

Gonna keep quiet (I always feel a bit awkward asking in case they think I am only after the extra money ) and then see if the parents of my 2 schoolies I have on a wednesday suddenly panic next week if our school is closed, they can then think I am wonderful if I can help out at short notice If school not closed, nice quiet day (well as quiet as it can be with a screamer )

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my mums a teacher and has just told she is planning a day shopping while *****mind !! Also just told me she left the her younder son in the house screaming becasue he wants to come to my house as his elest brother comes on a wednesday as the dad isn't in work today (can't understand why you would drop the older one to me at 7.15am when dad at home). Its not just schools on strike is it.
    CWR

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggoblin View Post
    Opposite problem for me, have just got a text asking if I will still charge as mum is off and can keep mindee. i want to say I wont if everyone is off as I would be happy to have a day with my big kids but cant decide if thats a really mean thing to do, parents will then know I have considered not charging.
    I have told a parent I won't charge if she keeps her children, 1 usually afternoons and 2 after schoolies which will bring my total down to 5 inc mine unless colleges strike too then I'm down to 4 :-)
    Paula

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxtree7 View Post
    One of my mums a teacher and has just told she is planning a day shopping while *****mind !! Also just told me she left the her younder son in the house screaming becasue he wants to come to my house as his elest brother comes on a wednesday as the dad isn't in work today (can't understand why you would drop the older one to me at 7.15am when dad at home). Its not just schools on strike is it.
    No thats right its all Public Sector workers so some of them will be able to take care of their children won't they. Not so many parents will be having problems or forced to take a day off. They were talking on the radio this morning about how they plan to cover the Boarder Force staff at Ports and airports around the country. One day in how long our workers stand up for their basic rights and we get all this fuss?

Yet we have a plan of action that is used regularly as a matter of course when France goes on strike and we can't use our Channel Ports

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I still haven't heard anything about my son's school, really will not be surprised if we don't find out until Tuesday!

It won't affect me minding wise I don't think as both mindees are babies, they do however have older school age siblings so I'm hoping if siblings are at home they might keep the babies at home too!

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Our school have said they might be off, on further quizzing of staff they are saying it is 99% certain. My issue is it is my 40th birthday and I don't really want to have the before schoolie that I normally have all day!! But will be working anyway and will get to spend the day with my kids and maybe my nieces too so will probably just say yes as I normally do!

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

still no information from our schools its going to be very little notice...

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm stuck - I only have 2 after schoolies - one is not with me at the moment because her dad is on leave until january. I work one day a week at preschool- which happens to be a Wednesday.

If I have mindee it means I lose a day's pay at preschool which is double what I would get for having mindee the extra hours. I should be able to take my own 3 along to preschool with me so thats not a problem. Going to have to tell mum that she will have to make her own arrangements for that day.

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

We got told tonight, at parents evening, that the school will be closed.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i am over joyed to be getting the extra work at £3.50 per hour will help sort tax bill

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard today (unofficially) that our family of schools will all be closing but nothing has been said by school yet - wonder when they will decide to let parents know!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found out that my ds and mindees school will be open. I'm hoping that one of you maybe able to help. He brought home a letter saying 'Governors and the Leadership Team have undertaken a risk assesment bearing in mind the number of staff who are working on this day. Governors feel the health and safety of pupils will not be compromised by this one day action'

So to me some teachers will be striking last time all 6 teachers striked, so will this be the same again? Also who will be teaching the children? I thought they weren't allowed to bring in supply, Mindees Mum a teacher said TAs aren't allowed to take the class so who will be teaching the 170 kids?

Thanks Lou x

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123