Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers strike

Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Groan...guess what we've just had a letter (whole school is closed).

Cunning plan...Maybe I should update my poster advertising that I have spaces and put it over the top of the one on the school notice board!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Opposite problem for me, have just got a text asking if I will still charge as mum is off and can keep mindee. i want to say I wont if everyone is off as I would be happy to have a day with my big kids but cant decide if thats a really mean thing to do, parents will then know I have considered not charging.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine would have to still pay their normal daily fee if they did not send the child to me for the day or indeed if I didn't have room for them for the whole day because the term time only ones only use the before and after school places. Its not my fault the school is closed, I'm still open so they would be charged as normal and I wouldn't feel guilty about not having a child all day. If they pay for inset days and come in the holiday then I would feel I should have them if required.

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

nothing here from schools as of yet.

Trouble is if I don't have one mindee because mom decides not to bring her because siblings are off. Then College won't pay me as they don't pay for days students don't attend.
    Nicki xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a letter on Friday (although DD only gave it to me today ) saying that they can't say yet what's happening, but they're not planning on shutting the whole school. DD says her teacher isn't striking, so she's not happy!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I will text back and say I cant afford not to charge at this time of year, I suspect I will have at least one and dont want to work for £3 an hour!

Question - if a whole school is closing do they still pay the teachers who dont want to strike?

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

just got our letter out of ds's book bag whole school closed.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggoblin View Post
    I think I will text back and say I cant afford not to charge at this time of year, I suspect I will have at least one and dont want to work for £3 an hour!

Question - if a whole school is closing do they still pay the teachers who don't
    want to strike?
    They do pay the teachers who don't strike even if the school is closed. The ones who are on strike don't get paid.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    They do pay the teachers who don't strike even if the school is closed. The ones who are on strike don't get paid.
    I was hoping that, feel a bit less guilty if I know parents are being paid (or can choose to not strike).

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for school to decide yet. I mentioned it to the parents who all seemed unaware that the school may close. Don't they watch the news?

Post Thanks / Like

Just received an email from my daughter's High school saying as 68% of staff will be striking that the whole school will be closing down, seems that the Junior schools taking more time as would seem that if a particular form teacher not striking that class goes in, already had hysterics between 2 children in one family where one gets a day off and the other has to go in!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Great - just got my text from the school who have also decided to close which means I now have to entertain my DS (4) who is more trouble than the other three (1, 2, and 2) put together!!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The strike happens to fall on my day off so a nice lovely lay-in with no school runs or requests for me that day!

Pipsqueak Guest

We still have heard nothing from the school at all - primary or secondary. The one and only letter we got from primary about 10 days ago just stated that it would probably 'last minute' before we got notified - when asked we were verbally told... oh Tuesday more than likely!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and just had a mum turn up whose child I collect from school on a Wednesday only and asked about what the school were doing re the strike. "Don't know" she said "don't think we've been told but it'll be your problem not mine"
    If it wasn't for the fact I have the younger sibling all day anyway I would have had something to say about that!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The teachers don't have to inform the school until the day of the strike that they are going to strike so it can make it difficult to plan.

I can't blame the teachers though. They are being asked to make unreasonable changes to the Conditions of Employment that they signed up to some like my dh over 20yrs ago. The government is threatening to charge them more for their Pensions when they are part of a successful Pension scheme that pays easily for itself and is more than capable of supporting all their conditions including Final Salary pensions. It is a separate scheme, not not part of the rest of the Government schemes and the government have no right to 'raid' and change a system that has never been under their control anyway to subsidise their failing pension schemes.

If they are going to do that then Raid the Bankers bonuses and Pensions and outrageous payoffs as well. They belong to all of us after all.

Oh and there were a large number of teachers who last time said or would have liked you to think they were on strike, but they were not and had a paid day off when the school closed. How hypocritical is that?
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 23-11-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The teachers don't have to inform the school until the day of the strike that they are going to strike so it can make it difficult to plan.

I can't blame the teachers though. They are being asked to make unreasonable changes to the Conditions of Employment that they signed up to some like my dh over 20yrs ago. The government is threatening to charge them more for their Pensions when they are part of a successful Pension scheme that pays easily for itself and is more than capable of supporting all their conditions including Final Salary pensions. It is a separate scheme, not not part of the rest of the Government schemes and the government have no right to 'raid' and change a system that has never been under their control anyway to subsidise their failing pension schemes.

If they are going to do that then Raid the Bankers bonuses and Pensions and outrageous payoffs as well. They belong to all of us after all.

Oh and there were a large number of teachers who last time said or would have liked you to think they were on strike, but they were not and had a paid day off when the school closed. How hypocritical is that?
    I hear what you are saying Ricky but tbh, frankly i don't really give a monkeys about the poor ickle teachers. Yes yes the majority of teachers are hard working, do a good job etc etc....

what I give a stuff about is me and mine and its different if you want or need to take your child out of school isn't it but its ok for the teachers to disrupt a childs learning and screw up a good majority of the parents in that school and spring stuff on them at the shortest of notice. what I give a stuff about is teachers not giving my child a proper chance or proper education and hiding behind claptrap.

yes yes - the recession is hitting us all and frankly let the teachers go and tell a solider how hard done by they are... let them go and tell some pensioner worried between choosing between food and heat this winter..... the bloated bankers, the, lets face it - got a job with not half bad pay teachers and all these big companies with bloated profits - my heart bleeds for them - really.

I don;t mean to cause an argument and of course you are entitled to your opinion, I know you will defend your husband being a teacher and all that and you are explaining it from that POV.....

Lady Haha Guest

I actually want the work if they strike, so I'm being crafty and not warning any of my parents til the last minute, so that they may not have time to arrange family or take the day off themselves ....... Will be texting them all on Tueday afternoon to say I'm available if they need me

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Our school is closing for the day. I usually have 3 before and after on a wednesday so may well get a few extra.

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have now got Wed free apart from an afterschooler who will still be in school but big sis won't be so she will pick up! I don't mind though! My ds is in but my dd isn't in as they are only closing the classes that are affected.
    Last edited by LChurch; 23-11-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast