Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default are childminders loosing their identity

i feel quite strongly about this i think childminders are loosing their identity with everything we have to do, i am just a little fed up today after having a visit from my child development officer and saying my learning journals are not quite good enough need to elaborate on them a bit more, more bits of work that i need to do, i should risk assess my house everyday and tick it off, said i should be sharing information with the school dont know how i am susposed to do that because as soon as i pick them up from school they all come running up to me so my only interest is to stop them running off and getting into danger let alone speak to any teachers should this not be the job of the parents after all i only have them for two hours a day, she said i need to move away from plastic as ofsted dont like it she said i could do things like cover my table with cling film and just let them have some paint and do some mark making ok this is fine but it is still my home and i really dont want paint everywhere. Also need to get some construction things in my garden like bits of wood for them to build ok this is fine but it is at the end of the day it is a garden and do like it to look a bit like a garden. All this is fine but what happned to being a childminder and a home from home enviroment i had one parent visit said she wanted a child minder as she prefered it because it was home from home and nursery were to structured and did not want that, another parent is happy as long as their children are happy, all my parents are happy with what i do i love my job but all this paper work just gets me down i work very long hours sometimes 12 hour days with no break i am not a nursery where i get a lunch hour, or have a cleaner, or a cook, or paid holidays i am a childminder what it says in the title so why cant we be childminders.

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said - couldn't agree more!

Pipsqueak Guest

you'll only loose your identity IF you go along with crazy and daft suggestions by people who actually have no clue about childminding and only from a nursery viewpoint.

Ok the suggestions may be well meaning but challenge them and explain the childminders view.

A DO's word is NOT gospel, law or enshrined in the EYFS... its their interpretation of something and suggestion only. If you aren't confrontational then just nod sweetly to them, thank them for their interest and input and then file it away

dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Think your do is being a little over the top , my ofsted Inspector told me there's no need for too much paper work , just as long as I show that I Do different activities through photos etc she was more than happy , different people have different ideas so don't just take her advice and stress about it
    H4H supporter 'per mare per terram'

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree i just ignore my do, take all her bits of paper smile and say goodbye then carry on doing it my way.

xx

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

every time she comes i have more different types of paper that i should do to be honest it just does my head in i just want to childmind and enjoy the children without worry and stress of paper work and planning and working out next steps which i struggle with.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ***suz*** View Post
    i agree i just ignore my do, take all her bits of paper smile and say goodbye then carry on doing it my way.
    xx
    This is what i would do.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

next time she visits, smile sweetly and sing 'lalalala' in your head, nod and say 'bye' then carry on as normal
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked my DO if her visiting me was compulsory - she said it wasn't so I said no thanks then. I don't mind sensible suggestions but have heard some of the ridiculous expectations they have and much prefer to do my own thing and let ofsted judge me

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    you'll only loose your identity IF you go along with crazy and daft suggestions by people who actually have no clue about childminding and only from a nursery viewpoint.

Ok the suggestions may be well meaning but challenge them and explain the childminders view.

A DO's word is NOT gospel, law or enshrined in the EYFS... its their interpretation of something and suggestion only. If you aren't confrontational then just nod sweetly to them, thank them for their interest and input and then file it away
    Well said Pipsqueak - A DO (or what ever your person is called - we have IA now - Improvement advisors) can only visit if you agree to it and can only suggest - they can not make you do anything - ok they can say you can't have this or that funding or attend such and such training for free - but there areother ways of getting support and ideas (like on here) and there is training available through other organisations.

I am thinking about setting myself up as the forums DO - after all been one in the past - even have the T. shirt to prove it - and at least I only suggest things and I understand there is more than one right way to do most things

Penny

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a DO or IO. If I have they have never bothered to make themselves know, never mind visit.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive never had a DO, thank goodness because what I read about these people they haven't got a clue.

I would not do the cling film thing...no way!
    Maybe if they actually do a childminding job for a week they might rethink thier stupid ideas

Honestly, don't worry about any extra paperwork. A daily ticked RA is not essential, and don't make your journals too in depth as its just not needed. Don't waste your energy on extra paperwork, as long as you are following eyfs and linking to it and doing next steps that's fine

Pipsqueak Guest

Have to say in defence of DO's though... mine have been lovely... yes they have come up with some half cocked ideas..... but to be honest they aren't pushy and have been amazingly supportive in the main

the development worker/network co-ordinators that were NCMA (who have now gone because of 'funding cuts') were an absolute godsend..... knowledgable, friendly, helpful, supportive, proper on the ground grass roots understanding and support at your fingertips

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I must say my DO b4 she left was the best.. she gave me a pat on the back before she pulled me up on anything

but

this one is driving us all mad and i almost started smoking again because of her
    she has no people skills and just throws negatives at us..

almost reduced me to tears last night until a cm phoned and picked me bk up

keep with the forum lots of gr8 ideas for home settings and do what makes you feel happy not the DO as a happy cm makes for happy mindees

xx

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    input and then file it away

in the big round filing cabinet!!!!
    also known as the dustbin...well said Pip

Nurseries are being made to look more like schools all the time and I'm sorry I didn't give up teaching to become a childminder only to have to jump through all these hoops. I bet if you told your parents what the DO told you to do, they would laugh...I mean come on, cling film on your kitchen table?????

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My network advisor is there if we need her but on the whole leaves us to get on with it. I have breathed a sigh of relief at not having some of the do's I have read about on here!

( the clingfilm on the table is lots of fun by the way - we manage it without ruining the house! And even less mess if you put a second layer of clingfilm over the top of the paint so they can squidge it and mix it without the painty fingers!)

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    Well said Pipsqueak - A DO (or what ever your person is called - we have IA now - Improvement advisors) can only visit if you agree to it and can only suggest - they can not make you do anything - ok they can say you can't have this or that funding or attend such and such training for free - but there areother ways of getting support and ideas (like on here) and there is training available through other organisations.

I am thinking about setting myself up as the forums DO - after all been one in the past - even have the T. shirt to prove it - and at least I only suggest things and I understand there is more than one right way to do most things
    Penny
    I'll be your deputy Penny

I think the problem is, if you get a DO or network co-ordinator who has not had Childminding experience. I had several years of CM experience before I worked as a DO and we were not allowed to visits indiviual's homes, only advise through groups or phone. That way if someone wanted to ignore advise or not get involved they could. although In the main I seemed fairly well accepted, although I'm sure I put a few backs up along the way We no longer have any support in our county which I think is sad for those who need it

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My CO was the one who reported me to SS on something a CM told her and got me into major issues - why did she not come a talk to me and support me?? not that I needed it but I wasn't given the chance to explain before big trouble came and hit me between the eyes

she has now moved on - with the cutbacks . I dd not go for the farewell drinks and now have nothing to do with most local CM as I know it was of them stirring trouble.

And I don't cling film my table and I have a lot of plastic - and natural material toys/equipment too!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My DO upset me so much that I cancelled my next appointment with her and won't be having anymore to be honest! I did however email her to let her know that Ofsted gave me a 'good' and said if I carry on as I am I'm on my way to outstanding! I cried after my DO came as she didn't have a nice word to say about anything!
    xx

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I have never had a DO or IO. If I have they have never bothered to make themselves know, never mind visit.
    Same as Ricky, did make a coupleof calls once asking for somebody to come visit me, never materialized into any thing
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast