Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Managing Behaviour

I feel like I have posted about a million questions already lol

I have a mindee who is 15 months old, she is very forward and wants to touch EVERYTHING! My TV is on a stand and has a touch on/off button. The TV has never been an issue before as my children were brought up to never ever go near it, however mindee's TV is high on a wall out of reach so has an absolute ball when coming to my home touching my TV at every opportunity and turning it off.

I have said NO and moved her away every time and distracted her however the TV's powers are far greater that the mountain of toys she has to play with and as soon as I go to the loo, the kitchen, turn my back she is at the TV....Help lol what can I do??? Usually for an older child I would say no, warn them, then put them in a time out and explain the reason why not to touch the TV.

Pipsqueak Guest

Consistency consistency consistency along with tone of voice (firm), body language (disapproving) and swift action from you (intervention, distraction, removal - of child). 'fraid you will have to be a broken record for now....

She will get it eventually - my 1yr old mindee is into everything too and I have to be on my toes.....

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Consistency consistency consistency along with tone of voice (firm), body language (disapproving) and swift action from you (intervention, distraction, removal - of child). 'fraid you will have to be a broken record for now....

She will get it eventually - my 1yr old mindee is into everything too and I have to be on my toes.....
    Thank you. Also as you seem to be my saviour and have been answering all my questions I have one more for you lol.

Same mindee as above is becoming a bit of a tinker, hitting, pushing, snatching. The others are older boys and just look at her, but obviously I want to correct this behaviour. Again I have been doing the above saying no and distracting. But she is a female and very persistent lol

Pipsqueak Guest

lol I just happen to have some free time today!!! lol

as we all know us females are very persistant (I have one female mindee who is stubborn as the proverbial!!!)

again lots of above. laying down the rules - how old is said persistant mindee?

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    lol I just happen to have some free time today!!! lol

as we all know us females are very persistant (I have one female mindee who is stubborn as the proverbial!!!)

again lots of above. laying down the rules - how old is said persistant mindee?
    Said mindee is 15 months old. She can defo hold her own, other mindee is her bro and even he doesnt mess with her.

My nephew as much as I love him is 3, large and sometimes a bully. He took a toy from her, she walked up and smaked him one and took it back...needless to say he doesnt mess with her either. I like she has confidence but I think it may need downsizing a considerable amount lol

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

unplug the tv at the wall so it doesnt go on, mindee should lose interest soon enough!!!
    Marnie x

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Said mindee is 15 months old. She can defo hold her own, other mindee is her bro and even he doesnt mess with her.

My nephew as much as I love him is 3, large and sometimes a bully. He took a toy from her, she walked up and smaked him one and took it back...needless to say he doesnt mess with her either. I like she has confidence but I think it may need downsizing a considerable amount lol
    I would keeping an eye on her - like a hawk and ready to intervene at the drop of a hat.
    A sharp firm no hitting, remove the toy (and/or) remove her and give fuss to the wounded child, whilst ignoring her.
    A fair bit of working on the being nice to each other - lots of praise for everyone who is being nice
    She is only 15 months and its all a steep learning curve for her. If others won't stand up for themselves - like you know its your place to do it for them.

Firm and consistent (I have honed mine to the look now! lol)

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, is your tv a flat screen? if so i would consider putting something in front of it as they can a bit wobbly, she might knock it over if she is that interested??

Post Thanks / Like

Marnie has mentioned what I was going to say...turn off at the mains/unplug