Should I include concerns in development review?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I include concerns in development review?

You might have seen my other post about concerns I have over a nearly-2-year-old who walks stiffly who I have concerns about... he flings his arms and legs around and is generally uncoordinated and wobbly.

I've mentioned concerns to mum and suggested she takes little one to the doctor, but she doesn't see the problem - she thinks he does it to be funny and isn't planning to take him to the doctor. I'm still very worried there is something wrong...

I've documented my concerns and our conversations, but I'm wondering if I should mention it in his termly development review, and if so, what wording I should use?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would word it in a positive way, so when you are writing your ideas for next steps, I would put something like 'visit soft play areas, sing action songs etc. to increase agility and develop co-ordination.' What are his fine motor skills like?

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I would word it in a positive way, so when you are writing your ideas for next steps, I would put something like 'visit soft play areas, sing action songs etc. to increase agility and develop co-ordination.' What are his fine motor skills like?
    Thanks, that sounds good...

His fine motor skills aren't great - they're also very uncoordinated, but he's still young so it's very hard to tell whether it's his age or something's wrong. His fine motor skills don't worry me quite as much as the walking, but things like spoon feeding are a struggle for him - sometimes he's fine but then he'll miss his mouth, or his arm will jerk and the food will fly everywhere.

OCT 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep it factual with links to eyfs and next steps rather than your opinion ifswim. Your gut instinct and experience is telling you something is wrong but you can't put that on paper as such.

Some of the next steps in the eyfs are a bit vague and maza's suggestion of personalised next steps is a good idea.