Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I believe I am a professional - I work hard even though I don't go out to work and I produce professional paperwork - even though I don't get paid time to do it in like teachers or someone who works in an office.

The reason I said that about going out to work is to highlight the often perceived link between professionalism and leaving the house wearing a suit every morning which seems to be a pre-conception of the older generation and many of my 'professional' friends such as teachers and lawyers.

I am professional with the children - I work with them on a much more focussed level than they get in group settings and I am respectful and clued into their needs, both learning and care.

A professional is about attitude and the value you place on the job you do. At the end of the day the majority of people can choose to be a childminder (with a CRB and a house to work from) but only those with passion for the job and and a professional outlook will strive to do their absolute best for the children, whatever the cost.

Some of my parents see me as a professional - some see me as a babysitter - some see me as a necessary evil because they need to go out to work. I work to change their views but they are often ingrained from their own upbringing with the 'baby minder down the road'.

One parent a few years ago remembered her time with her baby minder fondly... the television she watched, the biscuits she ate - I think she was actually sad that her child was missing out on that kind of life!! Yet in her day that childminder probably would have told you she was a professional as well - she never lost a child or caused a child ill, she kept them fed and watered, she chatted to them and helped them make their biscuits etc etc...

Good luck with your essay

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely see myself as a professional however I think it is an extremely subjective statement. What I see as being professional may not be another persons perception and I think the way in which childcarers are viewed is a societal issue that won't be changed quickly.

My parents see me very much as a professional and in fact I had one Mum yesterday who doesn't often say much, say how lucky my parents and children were that I was so involved in the volunteering side of NCMA and how much commitment to the profession that shows on my part.

Interestingly enough the perception of childminders as professionals is high on NCMA's strategic plan at the moment. Currently there are consultations going on around the country in order to get members views on developing professional standards for childminders. Most other professions have these already and although it won't make a difference overnight it is just part of the uphill battle that we face to be seen by both parents and the sector as professionals.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't all hate me for saying this but I just don't see myself as a professional, certainly not in the way that I was in my previous career. Yes, my paperwork looks professional, yes, I attend training, yes, I try to treat parents in a professional manner but at the end of the day I am just a stay at home mum trying to earn a little extra money. Anybody can register as a childminder, it doesn't actually require any formal training or experience. It takes years of training and practical experience to become a doctor, solicitor, accountant, gas installer, electrician etc. Becoming a childminder only really requires a CRB check and a few really basic courses. Over time some chilminders will acquire vast knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications but these are not actually a requirement of registration. So, I would say that individual childminders may become professionals in the long term but as a group I would not say that all childminders are professionals.

You can start sending the hate mail now

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab replies thanks guys!

More food for thought:

ARE NURSERY NURSES / PRE SCHOOL WORKERS PROFESSIONALS?
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are childminders professionals? UPDATED!!!

Have a look at the updated questions!

Really interested in your opinions?

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    yes, childminders are professionals but some are more professional than others.

i know some childminders who, after 20 years of being a childminder, still see it as a way to stay at home and drink coffee, that i don't see as professional.

the public perception though, is generally that childminders are babysitters and i don't think we are seen as professionals.

I completely agree! I work extremely hard taking care of children, it is constant - providing different activities, outings, clearing round after them, doing paperwork at the end of the day - even parents who treat me as a professional seem surprised I'm not doing my housework/shopping/laundry. I am being paid to look after their children! I do not have time to do it and I do it in my time like any other working person would!

Most people have heard of childminders but do they actually know they have to attend a course, safeguard training, first aid training and go through rigorous Ofsted registration? Most people I know have been surprised at all it entails and it doesn't stop there - it is ONGOING! There was a documentary recently where an illegal immigrant who was been arrested for something and was described as a childminder. Really?? what kind of childminder was she?!
    I have to say if I ever describe myself as a childminder I always put 'Ofsted Registered Childminder' Purely because it sounds more, well, - 'professional'!

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

DO YOU WANT CHILDMINDERS TO BE CLASSED AS PROFESSIONALS?

IF YES, WHAT WOULD NEED TO HAPPEN TO CHILDMINDING IN THE UK TO MAKE CHILDMINDING A PROFESSION?

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I professional? Do the parents think I am?

Yes I am definately professional and I work in the childcare profession which encompasses schools, preschools, nurseries and childcare. In my role as childminder I have liased with the Early years director at our local council on joint partnerships. Became the chair of the advisory board for our childrens centre, set up a childminding group, liaised with the school and run their toddler group for them, i work closely in partnership with the local preschool, work closely with the local nursery, work with the reception teachers. The local preschool manager and reception teachers have been to my setting to visit and see me in action - and were delighted with what they see and come back time and again.

I have undertaken countless courses, I am quality assured, I am accredited I am an enabled childminder, I have my level 3 diploma and am now studying towards my foundation degree.

I have a SEF which is a working tool, I use headed paper, I send invoices using a proper invoice template. I know my policies, I read them, run my setting by them and review them regularly.

How do I know my parents think I am professional? because I ask them - its one of the questions on my questionnaire to them. They all say YES.

How do I know that other childminders think I am professional? because they tell me - frequently.

In everything I do, the way I carry myself, my setting, every correspondance and interaction with children, familes, other childminders, early years team, our NCMA office, the childrens centre, the school I act in a professional way. I take my reponsibity very seriously and that is reflected in everything I do, being professional extends beyond training, its who you are and the way you present yourself. It wouldn't be professional to go out, get drunk as a skunk and post lurid pictures of yourself on Facebook for everyone to see. Nor is having a shouting match at the park with another mum because she was having a bad day. Nor is making a comment about a rubbish day at work on FB and a friend of a parent seeing it. These are all things I have seen, not done and they don't smack of professional. Now thats not to say a professional individual can't get drunk, have a bad day or get involved in an arguement - I just think where children are involved in your profession the stakes are higher and you can't publically do these things or broadcast these things.

Another thing is bitching about other childminders - that something that I see ALL the time - constructive critism is fine, healthy even - but derogatory comments is totally unprofessional and unless that kind of thing is curbed I doubt anyone will see childminding as a professional trade.

Those who consider themselves professional, carry themselves well and do a great job - they are all helping to make sure the job is more professional. If you convince a few more people when you meet a new crowd that we are professionals then slowly they will come round, some may never!!!

My dad is a classic example of this:

When I first started minding he called it babysitting

3 yrs on we have progressed to - you missed your vocation - you should have been a teacher. To which I replied - oh but I am dad, I really really am.

For dinosaurs like my dad - some minds are set in stone.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe we are professionals and I was on a course recently and the tutor said you are all professionals you care for the most precious people in the world and you certainly don't get the recognition or the wage you deserve!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    ARE CHILDMINDERS PROFESSIONALS? DISCUSS!
    Hmmmm

Okay I think there are many who do not see childminding as a Profession (or a career choice) and therefore to them we cannot be Professionals.

To me there lies the difference many people would think of a professional having a profession (apologies for any spellings) but I do see myself as a Professional.

I am professional in the way I approach my job and how I work and I also behave in what I would think of as a professional manner (completely different to how I possibly am in my spare time if that makes sense). I do not necessarily think being a professional is about being trained or qualified although for many you would have to do these to be 'a' professional ( and it may be the addition of that one letter that makes how you see it - if that makes sense).

For me my qualifications and training are what help me to be professional but I also know some who may do these but are not professional in the way they speak to the children in their care or talk about their parents there are also those who do not do this but update their knowledge in different ways e.g. they may not be confident doing written work. I am very overweight so some may think I am not professional because I may not look like what they imagine a professional to look like but I do not open the door to parents in a dressing gown (which to me wouldn't be professional).
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

WHAT MAKES A PROFESSIONAL?
    Attitude to how you approach your work. To people could be doing exactly the same job but one could be a professional and the other not.

If one approaches their job with enthusiasm, willingness, enjoyment for what they do then they will probably be more of a professional then someone who hates their job, doesn't make an effort, etc.

Probably not the best way of describing it but hopefully you understand what I mean.
    love Kate

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

DO PARENTS THINK CHILDMINDERS ARE PROFESSIONALS?
    How long is a piece of string?

Some do but probably more don't. But is that because society in general don't view childminders as such and many still have the old fashioned image of childminders as someone doing it for a bit of extra money while their children are young.

I have had prospective parents (and other childminders) question why I am a childminder as I don't have children. One parent actually said she wouldn't use me as I didn't have children (although other children were in the setting -and believe me that hurt).

I can honestly say of my three sets of parents one set would probably answer yes one would definitely say no and the other I'm not sure about.
    love Kate

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No hate mail I promise - well at least not from me

Quote Originally Posted by mummyMia View Post
    Please don't all hate me for saying this but I just don't see myself as a professional, certainly not in the way that I was in my previous career.

I find this interesting that you say you don't see YOURSELF as a professional (and do you see all childminders as not being professional or just yourself). Can I ask what was your previous career? (nothing meant by this)?

Yes, my paperwork looks professional, yes, I attend training, yes, I try to treat parents in a professional manner
    I agree these help towards being a professional but don't actually mean anything with some some people I could name some with no qualifications who are more professional than some with.
    but at the end of the day I am just a stay at home mum trying to earn a little extra money.
    but I have no children and this is my career so that is where we differ but it doesn't make you any less of a professional unless you think it.

Anybody can register as a childminder, it doesn't actually require any formal training or experience. It takes years of training and practical experience to become a doctor, solicitor, accountant, gas installer, electrician etc.

Becoming a childminder only really requires a CRB check and a few really basic courses. Over time some chilminders will acquire vast knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications but these are not actually a requirement of registration.

So, I would say that individual childminders may become professionals in the long term but as a group I would not say that all childminders are professionals.

I see where you are coming from but on the same lines then all Doctors/solicitors are qualified and in a profession but would you call a teacher who has been arrested for downloading images of children a Professional.
    This is where I think there is a very subtle difference between the two words of Profession and Professional hope that makes sense
    love Kate

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I see myself as a professional. My qualifications enable me to be a nanny, nursery nurse or childminder.
    I chose to be a childminder over the other two because I didn't see the point in getting childcare for my own two children.
    I have a professional approach to my job and strive to become better.

Some childminders I meet are far from professional and it's these people that give parents he idea that we just sit about all day chatting and drinking tea

Although its funny because although I feel professional, when I meet parents at toddler group and they find out I'm a childminder, the look I get doesn't make me feel professional. Unfortunatley people do not know how much work is involved

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just come back from a pre-reg meeting and for the first 5 minutes of the talk all she was talking about is that we ARE professional and that we are up there with teachers etc. Back in the day when the level 3 wasn't required, then she said that wasn't so much classed as a profession. But now the level 3 is/will be a requirement, that has changed all of that. Her words, not mine! - and to be honest I quite disagree with her! All you girls that have been doing it for x amount of years, I am sure you show far more professionalism and knowledge than those who are a bit green around the ears!!

may 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Very often when I approach some of the parents I work with to discuss their children development/behaviour, etc...they don't fully 'trust' or 'consider' what I am talking about and end up the conversation usualy saying things along the line: I will talk with x,y or z who is a primary teacher, or I will contact a professional such as psicologist or even I will ask my mum...
    Sometimes I do wonder why i even try to discuss their children deelopment and behaviour with them...

jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as i am concerned childminders are professionals.
    i have trained as a nurse therefore i am seen as a professional, i have workes just as hard doing my training for becoming a childminder (if not more as in nursing you don't make up your own policies) so i believe i am a professional. Personally in regards to being a professional, if you have first hand experience and the training/ following of the curriculum you are a professional. Those who just do the training but never experience things first hand are the ones who i don't feel are the professionals. It is the experience and knowledge that make people worthy of the trust.

just my opinion but i always contacted my mum or her friend (both were childminders) when i needed help in regards to a chiuld (usually when a friends child was ill). Who better to ask for advice: the one who deals with children every day or the one sat behind a desk with a book?
    hugs and lollipops

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12