Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

so does everyone only drink milk and water like the children?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

We have everything, do not ban any thing, all in moderation and according to age.
    Fresh fruit is full of sugar

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

We offer milk, water or very weak juice. When one little one started his mum said he would only drink water with squash in it. Well I did this for him for about a week then just gave him water which he was very happy to drink so this is what he gets now.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    Water and milk between meals and fruit juice and squash is also offered with meals but not inbetween - advice of my dentist. What do you do though if children (LO's) are already used to having squash all the time at home, I know they shouldn't and its really bad for their teeth but if thats what they're used to its really hard to say no - especially if they bring a beaker with squash in from home.
    I would probably state somewhere that as sodium benzoate and sweeteners like aspartame and saccharin are banned in foods for children under three (these are found in squash and fruitshoots too! Campaigns to ban them forthe under 7s as the potential negative health affects can be huge) I won't allow anything containing artificial sweeteners and preservatives on the premises. Parents read this before they register with me so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Only water or milk for mindees. One mindee brings his own drink and it's always squash. Mum has been trying to cut it out but he just wont touch water at all and obviously it's a worry that he will dehydrate.
    My own son has very weak pure fruit juice, or now and again might have very weak squash if we run out of juice. He will drink water but only a couple of sips through the day which isn't enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of mine drink water at home! but a couple will only drink squash and rather than them go thirsty I admit I let them have squash

I know it may not be good for them, but its hard when they are only here a couple of days a week and at home having whatever they like the other 5 days!!!

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends which child and what time of day. I offer milk or fruit juice with breakfast, water with lunch and milk or water with tea. Inbetween they have their own bottles of water. However, babies parents have requested she is offered squash with snacks as they think she is thirsty (she goes home and gulps squash - my belief is it's because it's squash rather than thirst), another brings squash from home because mum knows I won't provide it, another has soya milk because this is what's on offer at home, my full timer is only allowed water unless out for a treat (eg soft play you get a free squash and biscuit and a grown up coffee - I'm not forfitting mine so he gets his )

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    I drink water most of the time - can't drink milk am allergic. Have a camomile tea in the afternoon.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine get water to drink or milk if they ask,, in the snow we come back in and have a hot chocolate for those I deem old enough,,
    I drink tea coffee or water during the day ,, my own two either drink water or milk and somtimes fruit juice if we have any.

Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer weak squash or water and I specifically avoid the stuff that contains aspartame.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I only drink water tea coffee at
    Home. And a beer in the evenings lol
    Very occasionally we'll have some fresh juice in.
    I did just think of something else I offer my kids to drink though, which is smoothies - either homemade or the innocent smoothies or fruit puree pouches from organic or plum baby.
    I usually serve these as part of a snack or as a snack on its own.
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    We have everything, do not ban any thing, all in moderation and according to age.
    Fresh fruit is full of sugar
    Yes it has got sugar in it but its not isolated from the whole fruit and fibre so is absorbed differently by the body
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Regularly we drink water, squash, the additive free kind, robinsons squash the bad sort , fruit juice, hot choc, smoothies.

We don't do tea of coffee or fizz.

Do think its the same as food all things in moderation.

Have ds whos has adhd and is sensitive to loads of nasties in food so do police them but dd is fine .

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Im addicted to tea. I also like fizzy drinks and alcohol. None of these I would let the children have

Post Thanks / Like

we have managed to get all ours liking water, its that or milk, we used to offer dilute squash also but they all love pouring their own water from a special mini plastic jug - so we no longer need to offer the juice. Surprisingly they all appear to drink more than ever now as with everything it helps t make things novel and appealing

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annsplace View Post
    we have managed to get all ours liking water, its that or milk, we used to offer dilute squash also but they all love pouring their own water from a special mini plastic jug - so we no longer need to offer the juice. Surprisingly they all appear to drink more than ever now as with everything it helps t make things novel and appealing
    What jug do you use?
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I was speaking to a dietician recently about drinks for little ones - as part of a training course. I have one child who will drink nothing all day if I don't provide squash. She suggested adding a couple of drops of vanilla extract (NOT essence) to the water (or milk), as this will give it a sweeter taste without the sugar. Then you can work on reducing the number of drops over time. Seems to have fooled her so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Milk, Water, Squash, Juice, Hot Chocolate and the occasional cup of tea for the secondary school children if they want one.

I do mainly provide water but thats only because I get fed up of throwing away half drunk drinks and not because I think anything other than water is the devils work

Everything in moderation as far as we are concerned - we have even had the odd bottle of fizzy lemonade with party food!

onceinabluemoon Guest

milk, water, milkshake, juice, squash, smoothies with meals, teeth cleaned afterwards. Water freely available.

and I drink the same (but have coffee before and after work)

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on age, I offer milk, water, Sugar free weak squash and fruit juice.

On special occasions we have tea, hot milk, hot chocolate, milk shake or smoothie.
    Toothfairy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast