Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nannying

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nannying

Hello, just wondering if i could pick your brains please.

I am a registered childminder although ive not had any children yet due to finding out i was pregnant and now im still on maternity leave!

Anyway my query is about nannying. I was approached today at a baby and toddler group by a lady who asked me if i would consider being her nanny for her 3 children to start in Jan 2012. I would be able to take my 2 girls with me too.
    Her childrens ages in jan will be twins 3yrs 4 months, baby 10 1/2 months. my children will be 7 1/2 months and 2yrs 7 month. Would i be able to do this as an approved nanny or does the ratio childminders have to adhere too still exist?
    Also being an approved nanny, are you expected to do all the work a childminder does?

Thank you in advance.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i actually don't know hon. I imagine the 3 under 5's still applies but then nannies don't HAVE to register. I would have a look on the ofsted website or the EYFS document on line it will state ratios in there.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    i actually don't know hon. I imagine the 3 under 5's still applies but then nannies don't HAVE to register. I would have a look on the ofsted website or the EYFS document on line it will state ratios in there.
    Thank you Juggler, i thought the same - that the ratio would still have to be adhered too however like you say nannies dont have to be registered. Guess the best thing to do is ring Ofsted tomorrow and speak to them. Im just impatient and wanted everything yesterday!

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think that if the family wishes to use the childcare element of working tax credits to pay a nanny then he/she does have to register

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you register as a nanny they can claim tax credits but I don't think the ratios apply when nannying. It sounds like a good move for you. I am considering going back to nannying but all the jobs I have seen would mean I wouldn't be able to take my DS to and from school so at the moment am staying as I am.

xxxx

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so so so very jealous!! Id snap her hands off!! I really dont know about the practical side of it (numbers etc) but cannot think of a better job - taking your own little ones, still getting to care for children, and coming away at the end of the day and leaving work behind!! Fingers crossed that things all go to plan - would be interested to know what the position is re numbers and things if you find out officially xx

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1! View Post
    I am so so so very jealous!! Id snap her hands off!! I really dont know about the practical side of it (numbers etc) but cannot think of a better job - taking your own little ones, still getting to care for children, and coming away at the end of the day and leaving work behind!! Fingers crossed that things all go to plan - would be interested to know what the position is re numbers and things if you find out officially xx
    I rang Ofsted and they said working within the childrens' own home ratios dont apply as its up to the parents to determine what they think a nanny is capable of looking after. So having 2 under 1 and 3 under 5 would be acceptable!

Parents can still claim tax credits if i stay on the voluntary register.

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who recently moved from chilminding to Nanny and they don't have to do any of the paperwork either - i'd say if the money is right, and it suits you it would definately be good option for you.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you don't have to implement EYFS if you nanny and risk assessments, medication forms, etc are all optional and if you're employed rather than self-employed you won't even have to do accounts. I think I might become a nanny too. 5 children under 4 sounds like an awful lot of hard work though!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if you can be a self employed Nanny or do the parents have to employ you?
    By being true to myself I live life to the full