Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Illegal childminding

How do I go about reporting someone who is childminding illegally? i.e not registered but looks after the child for more than 2 hours a day

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Ofsted but I don't think they will do much, just advise the person to register . I bet this person isn't declaring this "income" either

xxxx

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting didn't think about the income, should I report them to the income tax people as well?

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Id got to Ofsted and tax credits myself. How do you know for sure that this person is not registered or a relative of the children?

Could she be helping a friend out? I think this is allowed as long as no payment of any kind is being given
    Crazy Crackers

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

It's ''reward'' which could mean anything from payment, to being able to work.

I used to childmind this child, and her mum terminated the contract with immediate effect because ''I'' lost her childs comforter, then she threatened to go to Ofsted and made malicious accusations if I forced her to pay 6 weeks which stated on the contract.

I know this lady isn't a childminder as it's the parents friend and I've known her from dropping her daughter off, they only met through Nursery so no relative.

And it's up to 2 hours with no reward, anything over 2 hours is considered childminding. I saw her this morning with this child and she drops her off at school after lunch, and she collects her as well.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are sure they are childminding for financial gain and the children are under 8 years old then notify ofsted. Not sure how easy it would be to prove they are receiving payment though unless they are advertising their service as a childminder.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, I'd leave it. if she is a friend of the family she might just be helping out and not getting paid for it.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter if they get paid or not.

"Ofsted rules state that friends cannot receive a 'rewards' for looking after a child for more than two hours outside their home. Ofsted claim that although the mums never exchanged any money, the fact both were able to enjoy free childcare for their daughters was judged to be a reward. "

http://www.madeformums.com/mums-and-...-law/1996.html

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion its murky water. If the person in question is not receiving any payment of any form money/gifts ect I think its ok. It becomes a problem if the parent is claiming tax credits to 'pay' the friend.

Its up to you what you do but if it was me I think I would leave it tbh unless you are 100% sure of that facts.

Im a believer in what goes around comes around so if she is doing it illegally then she will get what she deserves and I sincerley hope that no accidents happen, as she will have no insurance which will be the fault of both the friend and parent.
    Crazy Crackers

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after my niece one day a week without payment though. Am I doing wrong too?

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i believe since that case the rules have been changed - reward has to mean physical goods, not reciprocal childcare. you'd have a hard job proving that any money was changing hands tbh.
    Blessed Be!

Post Thanks / Like

If she isn't being paid then it's not illegal, she's just looking after her friend's child, even if it is for over 2 hours.

If you know that she's definitely being paid or the parents are claiming tax credits to pay her then I would give ofsted a call. If she's being paid and claiming tax credits and isn't registered then they may be using someone else's ofsted reg no to claim tax credits.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleW View Post

"Ofsted rules state that friends cannot receive a 'rewards' for looking after a child for more than two hours outside their home. Ofsted claim that although the mums never exchanged any money, the fact both were able to enjoy free childcare for their daughters was judged to be a reward. "

You've misunderstood this case, it was TWO sets of mums caring for each others children so they could BOTH work. What you are talking about is one friend looking after another friends child. The friend doing the looking after is not getting the reward of being able to go out to work, so if she is not being paid then there is no reward for her so she is well within her rights to look after her friends child.

Either way, I wouldn't let it make you so angry, try to move past the whole thing.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I would leave it too, I believe in karma too

It also annoys me that the state try and dictate who we as parents can and cannot look after our own children, Ive looked after my friends children over the last week as a favour coz thats what friends do, its been for over 2 hrs a day but no money exchanged at all, at the end of the day if i couldnt have them then she couldnt work, i would have thought this country should be encouraging people to get out and work because lets face it there are way to many layabouts who dont work for a living these days

Why are u so dead set about getting this lady in trouble, seems like u really have something against her

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    You've misunderstood this case, it was TWO sets of mums caring for each others children so they could BOTH work. What you are talking about is one friend looking after another friends child. The friend doing the looking after is not getting the reward of being able to go out to work, so if she is not being paid then there is no reward for her so she is well within her rights to look after her friends child.

Either way, I wouldn't let it make you so angry, try to move past the whole thing.
    i thought that too. I am sure that in the end the ofsted ruling on that case was that as long as the women WERE friends and no reward (other than the childcare itself) was given that it was ok with them. Also agree singingcactus, that in this case it's entirely different as it (could be?) a friend looking after a friends child for no reward - she's not getting anything back.

Think OP is understandably angry as the mum gave notice over something petty, refused to pay up the notice and threatened a malicious complaint. This woman is now helping out. But Nicole it is not this woman's fault that the mum treated you like this. If you think she is minding for money illegally I'd have a quiet word with her to remidn her she needs to register.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll find that's changed now. Friends can look after friends children as long as their is no financial reward. Look at the latest Ofsted information on it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicole, you're looking at info from 2009.

This is a link to the current Ofsted fact sheet

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/f...etween-friends

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice.

I think I was just looking at something to vent my frustration out on after how she treated me. Oh well, live and learn and move on and all that.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Since this the rules were overturned you can now look after them as long as you are not receiving a reward.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast