How have things changed?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    VINASOL Guest

Default How have things changed?

A few people have asked me what they need to do to become a CM. Actually I do not know how to answer it because when I became registered (back in July 2010), I had to:

* attend an information session regarding becoming a CM (free);
    * pass the paediatric first-aid course (fee applicable but sometimes funded through SS centres at minimal cost);
    * attend an ICP (introduction to childcare practice) course and take an exam (free);
    * have a pre-registration visit from Ofsted (free;
    * send off registration forms to Ofsted and this includes Enhanced CRB forms (fee applicable to Ofsted);

Then wait for CRB checks to come back in certificate forms, then wait for your registration certificate from Ofsted and you're ready to go (i've probably forgotten to add a stage so sorry)....but is that it?

Registered Childminder since
    Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VINASOL View Post
    A few people have asked me what they need to do to become a CM. Actually I do not know how to answer it because when I became registered (back in July 2010), I had to:

* pass the paediatric first-aid course (fee applicable but sometimes funded through SS centres at minimal cost);
    * attend an ICP (introduction to childcare practice) course and take an exam (free);
    * send off registration forms to Ofsted and this includes Enhanced CRB forms (fee applicable to Ofsted);

Then wait for CRB checks to come back in certificate forms, then wait for your registration certificate from Ofsted and you're ready to go (i've probably forgotten to add a stage so sorry)....but is that it?
    Things do indeed change... when I registered in 1996 it consisted of a brief, ie, 30 minutes, visit from Social Services and a letter letting me know what safety measures I needed to take, ie, put up one safety gate, and that was it!!! LOL.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    Things do indeed change... when I registered in 1996 it consisted of a brief, ie, 30 minutes, visit from Social Services and a letter letting me know what safety measures I needed to take, ie, put up one safety gate, and that was it!!! LOL.
    I remember those simple days fondly! I registered in 1994
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helendee View Post
    Me too. I registered in 1996 & wasnt life so simple then. The good old days HaHa

Cupcake22

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VINASOL View Post

I started my process in Sept 10 and it was exactly the same as you've said, except I was told I should do an online Safeguarding course too (council gave me link to it free). Finished and got registered at end of Feb 11.

might of changed since then though I guess... x

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if you have to have a level 3 in childcare to be a childminder? My husband wants to become a childminder himself instead of an assistant he currently holds a level 2 in childcare and first aid

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emily'bubbles View Post
    Do you know if you have to have a level 3 in childcare to be a childminder? My husband wants to become a childminder himself instead of an assistant he currently holds a level 2 in childcare and first aid
    No you don't need any formal qualifications x