Looking after relatives
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking after relatives

I have two mindees, one of them is my lovely nephew.

Am I right that Ofsted won't be interested in seeing planning/observations etc for him?

Do I need to have all the other paperwork up to date for him such as accident book, register etc?

Thank you.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure about nephews... they're not interested in grandchildren and grandparents who mind family also have to have other children on their books to be graded.

But yes to cover yourself legally you need all the paperwork in place.

Hth

Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah. I thought as much. It is good practise to do all the paperwork anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it is the same for nephew's as it is for grandson's! You should be minding other children too (or at least advertising as much as possible to have other mindees) as OFSTED will not register you for just your own family! You must treat them as if they were not your nephew in your setting, so that means all paperwork and obs and contracts etc!!

I know because I mind my nephew and he was with me when the OFSTED lady came to do pre-reg! She went through it in great details for me and I was really grateful for that as it took a while!! x
    Just when I find the key to success, someone comes along and changes all the locks!

Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

So you do have to do obs etc for your nephew?

I have one other mindee who isn't related to me so it's ok. )

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi i mind my nephew and do all the paper work and obs etc but he still wont count if ofsted come and do an inspection, i will still have to have another mindie here as well or all i will get is satisfactory.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

My lady at my pre-reg meeting went into great detail about how family DON'T count! How NOT to do anything other that care details for paperwork such as all about me and contracts. DON'T waste time on obs, daily diary and learning journal as Ofsted won't be interested.

I have just applied for an increase in numbers if my hubby works as my assistant to enable me to carry on looking after my nephew in the holidays and I was told that I stand a very good chance as he's family he 'doesn't really count'!!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have looked after my nephew who is 8 yrs and niece who is 5 yrs for the past 4 years. I do contracts, signed permissions, LJ until end of EYFS. I also did contact books with pre school and reception teacher at school. Ofsted told me that they wouldn't look at any of this at my inspection but I still completed them as it was useful info for my sister and felt sharing info with preschool/ school was still important for the continuity of care. Grandchildren, nephews and nieces do count in your allowed numbers though.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

How would ofsted know if the child was your nephew though?? (apart from you telling them).
    Blessed Be!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    How would ofsted know if the child was your nephew though?? (apart from you telling them).
    When Ofsted ring to arrange your graded inspection they ask who you are minding and their ages. They also ask now whether any of them are relatives.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

oh right - when I had my last graded inspection she only asked if i was caring for any children in the early years group and on what days...

I may be caring for DH's grandchild next year so I presume that will mean I don't need to do any obs etc for her?!
    Blessed Be!