Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold callers

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold callers

After reading a thread on another forum, I was wondering do any of you have many cold callers and do any of you have signs on your front doors discouraging them? If you do have a sign what does it say?
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had nine cold callers on the phone last week in one day
    Cherry x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cherry View Post
    I had nine cold callers on the phone last week in one day
    Ask them where they got your number and ask to be removed from their Data Base.

Oh Cherry sign up to the Telephone Preference Service. We don't get any cold callers on the phone anymore.

If you sign up to the Postal Preference Service you can stop junk mail as well.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Ask them where they got your number and ask to be removed from their Data Base.

Oh Cherry sign up to the Telephone Preference Service. We don't get any cold callers on the phone anymore.

If you sign up to the Postal Preference Service you can stop junk mail as well.
    we have signed with the tps and we still get calls, as with door knockers, i stick my head out the window when i have kids here!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We get a few cold callers at the door here. I live on a long road & they just start at one end and work ther way along

I'm always polite, tell them I'm not interested in whatever they want to talk about and that I don't discuss personal details on my doorstep with complete strangers. If they're still persistant, I shut the door on them

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

here are a couple of good links regarding Cold Callers. The first one has a sign you can download.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...ghts/DG_194562

phoebe-alice Guest

I can't even tell mine to stop as I get a robot who only says goodbye, even on the answer machine! It is so annoying as it happens a few times a day and we have no idea how to stop it as the number doesn't even to come up after 1471ing it. I can understand people trying to sell you stuff you don't need but a robot that just says bye, that's batty. Fingers crossed it will just give up eventually.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We have the same robot as you!

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

You can usually spot them a mile off. With the phone there is often a pause before they speak, and the ones who come to the door just get me poking my head around the door. I never bother to listen to them, just say - No Thanks, far too busy and close the door on them.

When DH first moved into my flat he was quite shocked - but is now far ruder than I am!!
    Grindal

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i peek through the peehole or window and if its someone idont know i turn up the nursery rhymes and carry on regardless lol
    if its important they wiil leave a message

phone calls al parents know if they need me to ring and hang up and i will ring back
    and my family text lol

xx
    Jennie x x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmadines View Post
    we have signed with the tps and we still get calls, as with door knockers, i stick my head out the window when i have kids here!
    Same here but as soon as I mention they should not be contacting me they put the phone down.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grindal View Post
    You can usually spot them a mile off. With the phone there is often a pause before they speak, and the ones who come to the door just get me poking my head around the door. I never bother to listen to them, just say - No Thanks, far too busy and close the door on them.

When DH first moved into my flat he was quite shocked - but is now far ruder than I am!!
    I'm the same as you. Had to girls knock on the door a couple of weeks ago and sent them packing about 3pm. They came back again at 7.30pm They got a very short response then

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my sign for the door:-

STOP
    BEFORE YOU KNOCK!

We do not discuss the following:

Our Utilities
    Religion
    Politics
    Home Improvements
    etc.

We do not purchase items at the door
    We do not take part in surveys

Thank you for your
    understanding.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just mention the word HARASSMENT and you will find that this usually does the trick.

If that doesn't work mention trading standards, as people that knock on your door or ring you can be prosecuted by TS if they feel that they are harassing you or being a nuisance.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How funny I was going to post something similar!

Our drive really shabby so we get loads of Cold callers!

We had a sign from Thames Valley Police stuck by our doorbell saying we don't but or sell at the door. Still had loads of people ringing especially as they try and make you think they aren't actually selling anything.

We now have one from Oxfordshire CC stating "NO COLD CALLERS. It's an offence to ring this door. Please go away and do not return" We get fewer but still some call. Especially dodgy looking people in pick up trucks offering to tarmac our drive!

I've taken to not answering unless I'm expecting somebody. However I always then worry afterwards that it might be Ofsted or Environmental Health and I'll be in trouble

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by linda2girls View Post
    This is my sign for the door:-

STOP
    BEFORE YOU KNOCK!

We do not discuss the following:

Our Utilities
    Religion
    Politics
    Home Improvements
    etc.

We do not purchase items at the door
    We do not take part in surveys

Thank you for your
    understanding.
    Does it Work?

Post Thanks / Like

I am also registered with TPS and still get calls Got a phone call at 8.02 am Monday morning (unexpected day off so not impressed) from some lady at the National Research Centre in Switzerland wanting me to do a survey!! Told her (non too politely ) that I wasn't interested at that time in the morning

onceinabluemoon Guest

I used to have a sign that read:

CALLERS PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU KNOCK
    UTILITIES

I do not want to change my GAS, ELECTRICITY, PHONE or BROADBAND - I dont care if yours is bigger, smaller, cheaper, more expensive or comes wrapped in floral paper with a big pink frilly bow. I DONT WANT IT, DONT KNOCK ON MY DOOR.

RELIGION
    I respect your right to believe in whatsoever you choose. You will respect my right not to listen to it on my doorstep.

DOORSTEP SELLERS

If I want to buy something I will go to the shop and buy it. I do not buy from the door. This includes, but is not limited to, cosmetics, household cleaning items and drinks. Please dont knock on my door pretending not to sell something when we both know that's exactly why you are here! Please note: Any brochures posted through my door will be given to the children to cut up and glue with, thank you for helping me to support their learning

CANVASSERS/POLITICS
    Simply put, NO THANK YOU!!

IF YOU ARE A FRIEND, OR AN EXPECTED VISITOR, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO KNOCK ON MY DOOR AND EXPECT A WARM WELCOME.

It worked!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just think though, for some peolpe, this is the only work they can get.

Last summer my 17yr old son had a temporary job as a door-to-door windows salesman. He absolutely hated it, but in the current economic climate it was all he could get and he was desperate for a summer job (especially as the Bank of Mum & Dad had shut its doors!).

I hated the thought that people would be rude to him when he knocked on the door (as I usually was with anyone who knocked on my door) when he was just trying to do his job. I stressed to him that if peolpe said they weren't interested he should respect that, but of course, that's not what the training told him to do He only lasted 3 weeks at it, but it did make me think a bit more about the peolpe knocking on my door. Now, I'm always polite, but firm. I only get rude when they won't go away

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Since my childminding registration was approved I have been getting loads of callers (on the phone). They all want me to advertise on Facebook or in some other random publications that probably don't even exist. I have started asking where they are getting my details from as they all clearly know I am a childminder. It seems that childcare.co.uk is the source It seems like anybody can register on there and start harassing childminders accross the country! One even said he was looking at my website as we were speaking. I felt like he was really invading my privacy! I am glad I decide not to put my house number on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast