Childminder doesn't provide anything? is this common?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminder doesn't provide anything? is this common?

Hi a good friend of mine has been desperately trying to find a childminder near her for her little boy and daughter, the only one who has spaces has told my friend she will have to bring everything with her, as well as the normal nappies/wipes etc she has to bring all food for the children for the day including snacks and she has to bring her own drinks. I know a lot of childminders do not provide meals but had never heard about bringing your own snacks and drinks. Also she has been asked to leave her double buggy everyday for the minder to use. (She isn't a new minder so I would have expected her to have her own)

I am quite surprised by this and just wondered how many actually do ask parents to do this. I know food can be an issue in some areas regarding environmental health issues.

I provide all meals/snacks etc and have my own buggy. shame she lives too far away from me otherwise I would have her children.
    Last edited by Pixie dust; 28-06-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Pixie Dust

Post Thanks / Like

I provide meals, snacks and drinks and have all necessary equipment such as buggies of my own.

I know that some cm's ask for food to be provided and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask parent to provide a buggy solely for their child's use BUT I do think it's excessive to be asked to provide all snacks and drinks.

If I was the parent I'd be thinking that this cm didn't seem to want to do anything for my child

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing i ask parents to bring are nappies and baby milk.
    Wonder what this childminder does if the parents forgets?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I ask for nappies and wipes, I provide food or drink.

Is the childminder's hourly rate low? x

~Chelle~ Guest

I can understand providing food for babies. I have a little one who is now 3 and have had since she was 1 and she brings a packed lunch with her, but that was mainly because mum did one for herself and her older son anyway.

I provide all drinks and snacks.

Also with regards to double buggy, if the parent is willing to leave her double buggy for the minder to use, then that would save the minder having to pay out for one. However, I have never done this and have a double buggy, single buggies x 2 and several car seats for all ages (except baby car seats).

I think it is all down to the individual childminder, everyone runs their business in their own way.

At the end of the day it is about the care that is being provided and as long as the children are kept safe and are happy and well looked after then I see no problems, as long as your friend is happy with the arrangement.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know of any childminder around here who doesnt provide snacks and drinks.I only ask my parents to provide a packed lunch, nappies and wipes(having said wipes i provide them also). As for pushchairs we all use our own, parents do not usually have to leave theirs nor would not ask them too.
    She might be a lovely childminder, just seems a bit strange ie a pushchair is a tool of our trade?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the childminder's hourly rate low? x
    No it is average for the area she is in.
    Pixie Dust

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i supply drinks , snacks and a cold lunch,, if parents want them to have tea then they send either a ready meal or somthing I can reheat,,I supply a pushchair

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is all down to the individual childminder, everyone runs their business in their own way.

At the end of the day it is about the care that is being provided and as long as the children are kept safe and are happy and well looked after then I see no problems, as long as your friend is happy with the arrangement.
    I am a not passing judgement just curious if this was normal as not come across this in my area. As you say everyone runs their business as they see fit.

To be honest she is not 100% happy but is struggling to find anyone else.. she is on another childminders waiting list but no spaces have come up yet.
    Pixie Dust

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont and never have provided food, i am happy to provide snacks and drinks but all the children bring their own packed lunch. I have never had a problem from any parent with this and i wouldnt do it any other way

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I provide snacks, drinks & meals. Only have one who provides lunch but that is due to dietry reasons.

As for buggies. I did use mindees buggy as mom said I might as well as I said I'd got to get one. She was leaving her buggy at mine as she walked to me in the morning. Which was fine by me

All I ask parents for is nappies/wipes, spare clothes, wellies, suncream & hats.
    Nicki xxx

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    I am a not passing judgement just curious if this was normal as not come across this in my area. As you say everyone runs their business as they see fit.

To be honest she is not 100% happy but is struggling to find anyone else.. she is on another childminders waiting list but no spaces have come up yet.
    Is there no other option in the meantime, ie nursery, au pair, nanny, after school club or she could look at joining childcare.co.uk, as there maybe childminders on there, that she does not know about.

My friend is a childminder literally a 5-10 minute walk away, yet she does not appear on our local FIS as she comes under a different council. Maybe your friend could look at a childminder near to where she works?

I would look at all options, if she is not entirely happy x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i know minders who have parents who send packed lunch and all snacks and drinks (cos they choose too) but minders provide extra snacks etc at their choice BUT.... asking parent to provide a buggy is very odd
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Nov2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Chelle~ View Post
    My friend is a childminder literally a 5-10 minute walk away, yet she does not appear on our local FIS as she comes under a different council. Maybe your friend could look at a childminder near to where she works?

I would look at all options, if she is not entirely happy x
    We have the same thing in my area - I live 3 miles from another CM but because the postcodes are different the FIS database shows one but not the other depending on which area you search.

I have been CM for 12 years - I provide snacks and drinks (unless parents choose to send their own) and a hot meal if a child attends for 4 hours or more and over the lunch period!! An evening meal is available at a charge of £1 per child.
    I have 1 double and 2 single buggys and I also have 6 assorted car seats and 2 travel cots. This is my business and as far as I am concerned it is my responsibility to provide the correct equipment - after all you wouldn't take your own drill to a dentist or hairdryer to the hairdressers now, would you??

onceinabluemoon Guest

I dont know what area you are in but where we live if parent supplies all food and drink we dont have to be registered with environmental health, maybe that is a factor? (Or maybe EH have said she must not provide food/drink etc?)

Maybe the CM feels that the children will be more settled in a buggy they already know, maybe it's better than hers, why not ask?

If the mum is not happy,she should go elsewhere really as things will just fester and end up turning into massive problems. x

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

my x-childminder didnt provide ANYTHING either and charged me more than i charge my parents & i pay for everything apart from nappies & formula.
    What a crock!!!

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask parents to supply a packed lunch. Ususally there is enough food in them for 2 kids so i don't need to supplement them. Also most of them with younger kids put in juice too but i think this is so the child can have the beaker they are used to.

I will happily provide an extra snack and plenty of drinks.

I would expect a cm to have all necessary equipment like buggies, car seats high chairs etc.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't provide snacks or food. I offer only water to drink so many parents will bring a cup of sugar squash for their little ones. It's all to do with environmental health and the fact I live 20-30 minutes down the motorway for the nearest shop, so cannot possibly keep my home stocked up with food for my 2 teens, my 5 year old, my husband, myself and the 7 other children I care for, whilst working 10 hours every day! A trip to the shops takes me almost 2 hours for a quick shop.
    I don't see as it's unreasonable for anyone to ask parents to supply food for their own children, schools don't provide squashes and snacks and no one questions that. Maybe this childminder doesn't want her kitchen filled with food for children who only visit, maybe she'd prefer to have food for her own family in the house.
    As for the double buggy, the parents of my siblings routinely left their double here telling me to use it! Maybe that's what this childminder has had before so is what she is used to. If the parent doesn't want the childminder to use the children own buggy for the children then she can say no.
    Seriously if your friend is having a problem with a childminder because she has to provide food for her own children, then I'd say the problem is with your friend not the childminder who is asking for a pack up for the child.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I am hoping she gets something sorted soon.
    Pixie Dust

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I currently provide snacks and drinks, do provide a cold lunch, but some provide a packed lunch. I currently provide a hot meal in the evenings, but wont be in September unless a child stays until 6 as its such a rush. Parents provide nappies and wipes, but I also have wipes here and have lots of other bits ie hats, raincoats etc.

One of my parents brings a buggy some days when I dont need my double, its for their convenience otherwise they have to walk carrying the child and it suits us both. But I do have double and single buggies, so dont expect them to provide along with all the usual high chairs, assorted beakers, travel cot, you name it I have it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast