Childminder doesn't provide anything? is this common?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember though, if a childminder is not registered as a food business they CANNOT provide food, and drink for the child, they can legally only provide water so if the parent wants the child to have milk or sugary drinks then the parents must provide them. I don't see that it is a hard thing for a parent to pop in an apple or banana for their own child for a snack.
    As for the person who mentioned me getting in 2 or 3 additional delivery shops a week, at 6.50 a delivery. so that I can then make it easier for parents who travel off this compound and DO have access to shops that is simply ridiculous. I'm certain the parent would soon baulk at having those extra rates passed on to them, as well as the time I would be trapped in my house waiting for the additional deliveries which come in 2 hour timeslots after having worked my 10 hour day. Unless you are suggesting I accept deliveries whilst I am caring for the children which is also not on.
    A parent is more than able to provide the food their own child needs, it's not hard, it's not the big deal it is being made out to be.
    As for the double, maybe the childminder can see that the eldest of the 2 will be walking very soon and does not want to pay out 100's of pounds for a double that will only be used for a month or so.
    The number of posts I have read on this forum about how the kids waste the food you all provide, and how you are all overwhelmed by paperwork, and your house is bursting at the seams with equipment, and here is a minder who has a solution for all that and so many of you have a problem with that. I'm very surprised by this. But then I am frequently by things that are said on here at times lol.

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A lot of childminders around here expect the parent to provide lunch, snacks and drinks as well as the usual nappies etc.

I provide everything but nappies and formula
    Paula

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

this childminder should be providing at least water for the children to drink as it is part of ofsteds requirments that fresh drinking water should be availiable at ALL times
    foxy

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had several new parents show surprise when I say they do not need to bring equipment (pushchairs, cots etc) each day so it must be common round here

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I only supply lunches to preschool children that i collect but do not drop off (as the preschool cant store the lunchboxes) and i only supply evening meals to those that leave after 6 for obvious reasons. I hate being in the kitchen leaving all of the bods to run riot elsewhere I do provide milk, water, juice and all snacks - plus all outings and the occasional cheeky celebratory macdonalds..

I have car seats, buggies and all other equipments that i consider to be the tools of my trade. 1 mum provides her car seat as it is an all singing all dancing, squillion pound jobbie and she thinks that mega bucks means unbeatable quality...which is fine by me but unless she is going to give me a juicy xmas bonus i shant be buying one anytime soon!

I dont supply nappies but do provide wipes and suncream because I go through wipes like there's no tomorrow and parents NEVER EVER EVER EVER remember to provide the suncream and if they do its a factor 15 or something equally useless. I insist on using factor 50 and so it saves all arguments I like the smell of my suncream too (nivea)

I think that if you run your own business then you should be able to provide what you want to BUT that you should also make sure that you are equipped to do your job properly...

I would find another cm that has the basic equipment...lets face it a buggy is a must have item - even if youre a baby wearer you will probably need a buggy at some point i think?
    What's for you, wont pass by you

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzle View Post
    Can i ask why it's such a bad thing that a childminder chooses to ask parents to provide own buggy? After all if they're leaving that child with you it's not like they're going to need it during the day. I was going to ask parent's to do this as i don't see why i should pay out a huge cost i can't currently afford when they will have a perfectly good one? I also don't have tonnes of storage space and we would be left tripping over it all the time when not in use.

Because that buggy will get a lot more use out of it than just parents use so would be getting a lot of wear and tear on it - and it is a business essential. I agree to asking to borrow one temporarily perhaps but really it would be a 'just until I get my own one'.
    Last edited by The Juggler; 29-06-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone

When I posted this thread I didn't expect such a debate... that's what I love about this forum everyone has an opinion.
    Pixie Dust

may 84
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ask for nappies and wipes although often use my own wipes. Provide all food, snacks etc.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask for nappies/wipes and formula - though more often than not I end up using my own wipes as parents usually forget.

I do know a minder locally who asks parents to supply food as she is a vegetarian and will not cook meat for minded children.

I provide all equipment including car seats and buggies etc and that's quite usual round here.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not think its unreasonable to ask a parent to pack a bag every morning for their lo. Enough nappies, wipes suncream, and a packed lunch and snacks.

Its not exactley difficult.

I have 3 kids of my own who i manage to get up, ready for school, make at least 2 sometimes 3 packed lunches, water bottles, gym kits, show and tell etc and have out the door at 8.45.

During which time i also have 2-3 mindees being dropped off.

I do however think its unreasonable to expect a parent to provide any other equipment. As someone says these are the tools of our trade.

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't provide food I used to but they all started with me under 1 and I said food for under 1's needs to be provide by parents and they have just carried it on and to be honest that is what I am going to say to any new parents that I have decided not to provide food. Especially now with having to be registered and my parents also bring drinks but that isn't something I asked them to do but it has acutally worked out well as they all know what cup belongs to who. I do provide snacks and juice or water.

I do provide all the equipement and would not expect a parent to leave a pushchair for me to use or a highchair etc.
    Love
    Lorraine xx

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I used a childminder previously she used my buggy. I needed to leave it there during the day and she just used it without ever asking me. This was quite annoying, especially since she broke it and I had to buy a new one! Not to mention all the juice stains that kept appearing on it ...

I never complained because I didn't want to seem mean.

I know that in some Scandinavian countries it is common practice for parents to provide a travel cot.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't provide meals, but do snacks & drinks.

I would never ask parents to leave equipment though. The places we go, I would feel bad giving it back caked in mud, andbe constantly worried about it breaking in my care.

Never known a cm not provide anything...

xx

Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    I don't provide snacks or food. I offer only water to drink so many parents will bring a cup of sugar squash for their little ones. It's all to do with environmental health and the fact I live 20-30 minutes down the motorway for the nearest shop, so cannot possibly keep my home stocked up with food for my 2 teens, my 5 year old, my husband, myself and the 7 other children I care for, whilst working 10 hours every day! A trip to the shops takes me almost 2 hours for a quick shop.
    I don't see as it's unreasonable for anyone to ask parents to supply food for their own children, schools don't provide squashes and snacks and no one questions that. Maybe this childminder doesn't want her kitchen filled with food for children who only visit, maybe she'd prefer to have food for her own family in the house.
    As for the double buggy, the parents of my siblings routinely left their double here telling me to use it! Maybe that's what this childminder has had before so is what she is used to. If the parent doesn't want the childminder to use the children own buggy for the children then she can say no.
    Seriously if your friend is having a problem with a childminder because she has to provide food for her own children, then I'd say the problem is with your friend not the childminder who is asking for a pack up for the child.
    In some respects I agree with what is said here. I determine my hourly rate on what i can provide and i believe if a child is happy that should mean more to the parent than the use of a buggy and some food!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    I don't provide meals, but do snacks & drinks.

I would never ask parents to leave equipment though. The places we go, I would feel bad giving it back caked in mud, andbe constantly worried about it breaking in my care.

Never known a cm not provide anything...

xx
    I agree, I would hate to break someone else's buggy I do use a baby's carry car seat if they arrive in it, although I do have one of my own should the need arise.

All my mindees bring a packed lunch, and if any need to have tea (only 1 at present) I ask parents to provide something I can warm up. We don't have tea until late and I don't really want to be cooking two lots of meals. Plus the parent's know what the child will/won't eat.

I provide snacks and drinks and breakfast (cereal and toast) for those that haven't had it before they arrive.

I provide wipes (unless a child needs a particular sort due to allergies, as I buy what ever is on offer). I ask parents to provide sun cream, nappy cream, formula and as I said packed lunch/meal.

I would have thought most minders would have at least one single and one double buggy (unless you are just starting out obviously ) and if I knew I was going to need one would be on the look out for a decent second hand one if I couldn't afford a new one.

FEB 99
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    Hi a good friend of mine has been desperately trying to find a childminder near her for her little boy and daughter, the only one who has spaces has told my friend she will have to bring everything with her, as well as the normal nappies/wipes etc she has to bring all food for the children for the day including snacks and she has to bring her own drinks. I know a lot of childminders do not provide meals but had never heard about bringing your own snacks and drinks. Also she has been asked to leave her double buggy everyday for the minder to use. (She isn't a new minder so I would have expected her to have her own)

I am quite surprised by this and just wondered how many actually do ask parents to do this. I know food can be an issue in some areas regarding environmental health issues.

I provide all meals/snacks etc and have my own buggy. shame she lives too far away from me otherwise I would have her children.
    hi the only thing i ask for is nappies and fresh wipes

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I only supply water - mainly because it is to expensive to cater to every one's likes dislikes.

I know about registering with environmental health but not about as a food business - is this the same thing?
    Also, if you just re-heat food you have to register don't you, and also because you store it .......

TheBTeam Guest

I would rather use my own buggy than a parents just in case i damaged it! I only offer parents the chance to provide their own first stage car seat although i have one, but i offer in case they prefer such a small baby to be in a seat of their own, as they dont have liners etc like a pushchair can.

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I provide, snack, meals, buggy, group fees ,buggy. I do sometimes ask for a small donation if going a little further afield..otherwise I provide everything.

Without sounding harsh if this cm is charging same rate what would she claim for if doesnt have a buggy or provide any meals. Tax man must love her as appears she has no real expenses ????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123