Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default text received this morning

I received a text from a mum this morning that went like this: mum'' just to let you know I've got to work late tomorrow so I can't collect children til half 6'' (I only work until 6). Me'' I'm really sorry but I'm running Race for life tomorrow night and I cant have them any later than usual''. Mum'' Well I'm sorry too, but I've got to work and there's no one else to have them''. What am I supposed to say to that..gobsmacked. If she'd actually asked in the first place, it might have been nice.
    Julie X X

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to say in your shoes

Well its not my problem, I dont work after 6 and its not convenient anyway

But would probably say

ok

and resent it hugely

q

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

WHAT?!?!? That is outrageous!!!!
    You are busy and it's not your responsibility to act as an after hours babysitter when she demands it.
    I'm not sure of what you CAN say - she seems determined that you doing it - the problem is, she has you in a difficult positionand she knows it - whether you are prepared to do it or not, she knows full well that if she just doesn't turn up, you're not going to turf her child out and go are you? Grrrr this makes me SO mad!!!!
    I would suggest you send a quick text back saying you will discuss this properly with her later.
    Georgina x

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by georgie456 View Post
    WHAT?!?!? That is outrageous!!!!
    You are busy and it's not your responsibility to act as an after hours babysitter when she demands it.
    I'm not sure of what you CAN say - she seems determined that you doing it - the problem is, she has you in a difficult positionand she knows it - whether you are prepared to do it or not, she knows full well that if she just doesn't turn up, you're not going to turf her child out and go are you? Grrrr this makes me SO mad!!!!
    I would suggest you send a quick text back saying you will discuss this properly with her later.
    I agree, she has no intention of turning up until 6.30 and what can you do, you cant leave the children on the doorstep, but it would really make me wonder if I could continue working with this parent.

I got treated really badly by a parent who I had worked with for 4 years and our relationship hasnt been the same since, luckily the boys are older now and leaving at the end of term.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell her your contract states that you do not look after LO after 6 o clock.....therefore your not insured to do so

Unless she wants to change said contract but that will not come into affect for 4 weeks
    Needs to Zumba

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    I would like to say in your shoes

Well its not my problem, I dont work after 6 and its not convenient anyway

But would probably say

ok

and resent it hugely

q

This is exactly what i'd do too

But seriously, why is her work more important than yours?
    Ali xx

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

text back saying as it's emergency childcare/non-working hours, you'll charge her £15 for the extra half hour!!! Wouldn't be surprised if she managed to get there on time then!!!!
    Marnie x

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=georgie456;934637]WHAT?!?!? That is outrageous!!!!
    I would suggest you send a quick text back saying you will discuss this properly with her later.[/QUOTE

Absolutely agree, if she doesn't turn up, what are you supposed to do. What a cheek! Good luck. x
    Sue

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    I received a text from a mum this morning that went like this: mum'' just to let you know I've got to work late tomorrow so I can't collect children til half 6'' (I only work until 6). Me'' I'm really sorry but I'm running Race for life tomorrow night and I cant have them any later than usual''. Mum'' Well I'm sorry too, but I've got to work and there's no one else to have them''. What am I supposed to say to that..gobsmacked. If she'd actually asked in the first place, it might have been nice.

YOU: well I'm very sorry but I am registered to run a race to raise money for a cancer charity and people have sponsored me to do so. You will need to make arrangements for someone to collect at 6pm as usual. I don't want to seem inflexible and I am usually more than happy to work later than usual where I can accommodate this, but I will only be able to do so if I am not already busy. It would be easier therefore if you checked with me if I can do the extra time you need before you commit to work late or make other plans.

Thank you

if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnieb View Post
    text back saying as it's emergency childcare/non-working hours, you'll charge her £15 for the extra half hour!!! Wouldn't be surprised if she managed to get there on time then!!!!
    I like your thinking.

Actually do you have a late collection policy, say collection time is 6 and you will be implementing your late collection fees from that time.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooh good idea!!!! I vote for doing that!!!
    Georgina x

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post

YOU: well I'm very sorry but I am registered to run a race to raise money for a cancer charity and people have sponsored me to do so. You will need to make arrangements for someone to collect at 6pm as usual. I don't want to seem inflexible and I am usually more than happy to work later than usual where I can accommodate this, but I will only be able to do so if I am not already busy. It would be easier therefore if you checked with me if I can do the extra time you need before you commit to work late or make other plans.

Thank you

Like^^^^^^
    totally agree with this and i think at some point you may have to explain to her that you are not at her beck and call and that you do not respond well to demands.

Cheeky moobag

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that I would tell her that if you hadn't had prior commitments that you can't get out of, then you would have done it. However you DO have prior commitments so therefore you can't do it and she'll have to arrange for someone else to collect them at normal time...else leave them with your hubby/partner/suitable adult?

Hels xx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take them to her place of work if she didnt collect and would be telling her so,
    or telling her you will be contacting her emergency contact (as thats what they are for) and if you cant get an answer calling SS

or ringing in sick tomorrow
    IS BACK

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

good plan, if u can stay late i would say this

but if u cant do the extra half hr then i agree with this, from juggler:

Thank you

or as hebs said threaten that u will contact emergency contact and then social services

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with reply from juggler. Tel her its also cost you thirty odd quid to enter the race as well as sponsors. And if she.should deliberatley be late then you shall be implementing large charges. I think sometimes parents think we have no life out side minding.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    I would take them to her place of work if she didnt collect and would be telling her so,
    or telling her you will be contacting her emergency contact (as thats what they are for) and if you cant get an answer calling SS

or ringing in sick tomorrow
    I was just going to say that!!

I would tell her that you cannot work late because you have a prior commitment.

If she is adament that she will not come the normal time or make alternative arrangements.Tell her you will Have no option but to drop lo to her at work. Make it clear that this will be earlier than normal pick up because you will have to get back home by normal pick up time in order to get to you commitment (and for oter parents to collect? so maybe even earlier?).

If this is not practical then phone one of the emergeny contacts now and make alternative arrangements in advance and have it in writing for mum tomorrow morning..

Post Thanks / Like

Tell her thats fine, but it will cost her all the money you have been sponsored for Running the Race for Life, as you will be letting people down!!!

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

that is outrageous but I am afraid i would just have to say no sorry. I am busy i cannot work later then agreed.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say no, and then tell her that non-agreed late collections are charged at £5 per 15 minutes as per my policy and that if she is not on time, I will drop the children off at her place of work. She will be charged at the late collection rate from 6pm until the children are safely deposited at her place of work once you have established she is in the building.

I might also point out that I am not her employee, and that if she needs someone who can offer the service she is looking for here, she needs a nanny not a childminder.

If she's going to be a PITA, I'd be happy to risk losing her.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast