Provision box to stay in the boot of the car.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Provision box to stay in the boot of the car.

Hiya!

Can I just check...what would you put in it? I was thinking:-

First aid kit
    Couple of bottles of water
    Couple of snacks
    Blanket
    Wet wipes
    Towel

Now obviously I will take things like hats/suntan creams etc...in our daily bag but is there anything else you can think of that could go in the box to stay in the car?

Thanks ) x

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

nappies if you have a child in them

in my first aid kit i have some foil blankets they are good for warming up if it is cold keeping us dry if it's wet and sitting on if we want to sit the children down

how about some colouring books too and crayons or other activities just in case you are stuck for a little while and have to keep the children entertained

may 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this the other day. I would also put some activities in, a couple of story books, a card game along with water and a few snacks. x

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

In a bag in the boot i have ...
    * first aid kit
    * my partners details on a laminated piece of card
    * spare hoodie for me
    * couple of spare jumpers (various sizes, usually bigger than needed) for the kids picked up from carboots
    * handful of nappies (various sizes)
    * pack of babywipes
    * 2 or 3 books
    * 2 or 3 bottles of sealed bottle water
    * a large bottle of tap water - for cooler, windscreen washer etc
    * a sheet of tarpulin (to sit on if ground is damp)
    * 2 fleece blankets

In my glovebox i also always have a few hats, as well as a bottle of kids suncream and packet of babywipes!

HTH xx

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't thought of keeping a box of provisions in the car, I always take what I need on the day.....What a good idea

I have these sorts of things in emergency bags at each fire exit but will now do a box..... thanx for the idea

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What about some change for a public telepone box in case of a mobile breaking, no signal etc
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Great idea's for me - thanks everyone! I like the idea of abit of change for emergencies - great! x

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

can i ask without being sarky although i know it sounds it but i dont mean it that way honest!! but do you all live out in the sticks or something?? i wouldnt even think to put a box in the boot, i just take what i need out with me each time in go apart from my first aid kit which is in the car, but i live in a big built up city and am never far from help

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kitty2910 View Post
    can i ask without being sarky although i know it sounds it but i dont mean it that way honest!! but do you all live out in the sticks or something?? i wouldnt even think to put a box in the boot, i just take what i need out with me each time in go apart from my first aid kit which is in the car, but i live in a big built up city and am never far from help
    my thoughts too

was is the worst that can happen? you break down? surely the children can last an hour without a drink and snack while you are waiting for the AA. or you walk to a shop and buy fresh water or do you change the bottles in your car daily. Even worse that can happen is that you are in an accident, surely drinks and snacks etc would be the last thing on your mind.

not being funny, just interested but in what situation would you actually feel the need to have all these provisions in the boot?

apart from a first aid kit nothing else is needed!

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kitty2910 View Post
    I keep the same things i mentioned earlier in my own personal car (minus nappies etc as i don't have children of my own!) in case of emergencies. I broke down once on the motorway and despite all the breakdown agencies promises of being with me within 40mins cuz i was a single female it took them 2+ hours to get to me! I was flippin freezing and very thankful that before i left i had purchased a magazine to read when i got home or else i would have been very bored also! I had just registered as a minder and remember at the time thinking 'gosh what would i do if i had a car full of kids?!' - so thats my reasoning xx
    ps i also live in Devon so most of the bigger attractions ie the zoo, aquarium etc mean a good 30min+ drive on the motorway :-P xx

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh i also forgot to say that i have often raided the bag when a child runs out of nappies on a day trip or the weather suddenly turns cold and we all need a spare jumper haha! xx

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in a small town and if I go anywhere I'm not always near a garage/shop etc. There are lots of fields and open land between the places that we visit.... so a box of handy bits and bobs could come in handy if I broke down

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Playtex Baby bottle which is used with disposable bags and a couple of cartons of which ever milk the baby I have at the time is on.

In the winter I add a 500ml carton of everlasting milk for older children and a couple of jars of food if I have under ones. I have biscuits, raisins and cereal bars for older ones anyway.

I have 5/6 Space blankets, one for each passenger.

I hi- Vis waistcoat per passenger.

If I have to go out in the snow I add two large thermos flasks of hot water so I can make a coffee , warm milk or food.

Plastic drinking cups.

A small plastic bowl, spoon and bib if I have under ones.

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in the middle of the country but even if I didn't I would still have my rucksack packed with all my "what if I need them things"

I broke down not too long ago and the AA took over 2 hrs to get to me because they sent the man the wrong way !!!!!

I am glad I had water biccies ect for my own dd and me.

It can't hurt to be too prepared can it???

May 86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A torch is useful, (not just for when minding)

feb 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Having broken down with a few children I have a box....and it includes a porta potty...and wasnt I glad as one cherub didnt just want a wee. Worried about leaving the car as The beloved yellow men said they were just around the corner....just didnt mean the corner near me. I Live inside the m25...

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My box ( well , bag!) has similar to what has been suggested . It was originally there as my car is always accessible if we have to evacuate home for any reason - with the best will in the world I wouldnt remember or have handy everything I should take if we had a genuine emergency. i know some people have bags by the door with these things in but that wouldnt work for me .
    Having waited over 3 hours for the rac on easter Saturday ( luckily woithout los) I can see the benefit of having it in the car from another angle now!

The only other thing I remember reading on here that someone suggested was slippers / old pe pumps as in an emergency you wouldnt want the kids to stop to get their shoes!

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Emergency wind up charger for mobile

Cx

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    My box ( well , bag!) has similar to what has been suggested . It was originally there as my car is always accessible if we have to evacuate home for any reason - with the best will in the world I wouldnt remember or have handy everything I should take if we had a genuine emergency. i know some people have bags by the door with these things in but that wouldnt work for me .
    Having waited over 3 hours for the rac on easter Saturday ( luckily woithout los) I can see the benefit of having it in the car from another angle now!

The only other thing I remember reading on here that someone suggested was slippers / old pe pumps as in an emergency you wouldnt want the kids to stop to get their shoes!

In my emergency bags, I have half a dozen pairs of thick sports socks.... they take up less room as I'm reg for 9 at a session (I don't work alone). I figure that they are better than nothing and it doesn't matter if they don't quite fit

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont have room for much in the boot of my car i tend to take what i need for the journy i have a first aid kit and 2 fleece blankets in my boot all the time.
    total loss so far - 10lbs & 12 inches (all over)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast