Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default shift worker mums

hiya, i am newish to here and childminding (after yrs of nannying)

i have a family coming to look on sun but mum works shifts and therefor days and hours will change each week. the mum works 26 hours a week but some of these maybe night time so therefor mum wouldnt need me.

i was thinking about asking for a min number of hours booked/paid for each week (maybe 15?) i just ideally need to 'know' what i will be 'earning' each week and as little one is 1 and i have 2 of my own children under 5 he will be taking my only space.

what would you do?

thanks in advance!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lulubelle View Post
    hiya, i am newish to here and childminding (after yrs of nannying)

i have a family coming to look on sun but mum works shifts and therefor days and hours will change each week. the mum works 26 hours a week but some of these maybe night time so therefor mum wouldnt need me.

i was thinking about asking for a min number of hours booked/paid for each week (maybe 15?) i just ideally need to 'know' what i will be 'earning' each week and as little one is 1 and i have 2 of my own children under 5 he will be taking my only space.

what would you do?

thanks in advance!

does she need these hours over a certain number of days hon. TBH I would set a certain no. of hours per day and a min. number of days per week with retainers on the other days if she might need to use them
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

phoebe-alice Guest

Definitely set a minimum amount of hours as I am learning the hard way and didn't set a minimum and not I haven't a clue whether I am coming or going and what I will be earning from week to week and it can really grind you down.
    Heres hoping I develop my nerves of steel for bringing it up when we next have a contract renewal hehe!
    I hope you get on great, and don't make my mistake hehe.

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bear in mind he/she will be taking up your only under 5 space and you cannot fill that space with anyone else. I used to work for one family when my children were young, but they paid a premium for me being available to work only for them. I worked 3 days a week then and I was happy with that. Are you happy with just those hours and the money it brings in? Or ideally would you have preferred more? Definitely need to retain the space and have a minimum each week. Hope that helps.
    Clorogue

mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ideally i would like/need full time hours but it seems the work is few and far between. from the little she has said so far it sounds like it is any days mon-fri. any hours. think i will def ask for a min of 15 hours. at least that is something i can bring in for now! She will be working at the local hospital so i am hoping if things go well she will recomend me to other doctors/nurses etc.

she doesnt need me to start til aug so what deposit/retainer shall i ask for?

i got mucked about by a family a few weeks ago and dont wanna do that again!!!

Penny1959 Guest

My shift worker mum pays for 15 hrs min and this is fine with me as I tell her when I am available (she is agency nurse)- she also works a lot more hours most weeks so I do earn a lot from this one.

However remember that if she does not work - ie ill or holidays you will only get the 15 hours worth - so don't bank on the income from any extra hours.

Also i would be concerned about holding a full week for just 15 hours if I could not say when available and so would up the min hours to 25 a week (as my working days is 10 hours that is half hours for week).

Hope works out for you

Penny

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lulubelle View Post
    ideally i would like/need full time hours but it seems the work is few and far between. from the little she has said so far it sounds like it is any days mon-fri. any hours. think i will def ask for a min of 15 hours. at least that is something i can bring in for now! She will be working at the local hospital so i am hoping if things go well she will recomend me to other doctors/nurses etc.

she doesnt need me to start til aug so what deposit/retainer shall i ask for?

i got mucked about by a family a few weeks ago and dont wanna do that again!!!
    Personally, I'd make it a min. 5 hours per day over the week. Then you can either let her shift those 5 hours to other days, giving you maybe a free day without her LO or you can choose to charge her top up hours for the days she goes over. Personally if work is slow I'd offer to let her move the hours to other days so in effect the 5 hours on days she doesn't need work like a rtainer.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

If this is your only under 5 space then 15 hours pay a week does not sound much in return for it tbh.

It really does depend what the work situation is near you and whether you want to hold out for something more lucrative.

I don't charge retainers but I would take a month's deposit to hold the place, non returnable if place is not taken up.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd def be askng for a min of 25hrs (1/2 week)

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

15hrs work per week doesn't sound a lot. Obviously you can take on before / after schoolies but even so is that amount of income going to be enough for you to live on and be happy with? Seeing as this is your only under 5 space I would think hard about this.
    I am pretty full but had 1 FT space available but didn't want a FT child so I have taken on a shiftworker. They guarantee me a minimum number of hours per month which they have to pay for whatever but as it happens they usually need me for more than the minimum in fact next month they need me for double the minimum hours. It's worked out well for me but only because I already have quite a few children I mind and I only needed a PT mindee to bring my earnings up to what I wanted.
    Think about it before agreeing, your 1 under 5 space is precious

xxxxx

mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i really dont know what to do as there seems so little work about at the moment but i really need to be earning at least some money! maybe i'll ask for 20 hours min!

i also didnt realise you can get variance from ofsted, my husband works in retail so works weekends but gets time off during the week so therefore i could see if i can find another child one or 2 days a week and have hubby as an assistant or technically having one of our children! so guess that may help!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted do not allow you to take another child if your child is being looked after by some one else or even in full time nursery, and it is unlikely they will allow a variation for new business only for a child that is already with you. You could have your numbers increased if your dh is registered as your assistant.

I have a shift worker but she only works mornings. She pays a set amount every week whether she uses the hours or not and she said she wanted 3 mornings care over the 5 mornings so she pays for 3 mornings and pays a 50% retainer for the other 2 mornings.

This works well financially for me and I know exactly what I am getting paid each month and mum is happy, do not commit to using up your last space unless you are happy with what you will be paid or you will resent it.

Good luck

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Where r u lulu belle? Sounds like a mum I had approach me a few weeks back. She gave me a years Rota showing when she would need me. Some months just 2 days! Max was 10 days. They were all over the place with times and days that I just said no, she would have to do min hours and trainer for days not in use. I hope you can get something o work fo you x