Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drying hands?

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default drying hands?

Hi I was wondering what everyone uses for the children to dry their hands on. My DO said ofsted would prefer us all to use paper towels. I really dont want to do this because even if I kept a bin just for paper towels I just know they would end up down the toilet causing problems, and that's apart from the cost of the towels.(as I know they'd use loads) If I didn't want to use paper towels she said the children should have a towel each which should be changed after every use then washed at 60'. All this seems a little extreme , so I just wondered what everyone else does. Thank you.
    Julie X X

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My lo's have a small towel which they've decorated with fabric paint so they know which is theirs (a fun activity). They get washed once a week or more if needed. I also have a basket with paper towels in it just in case

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use kitchen towel
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Flannels that are put in washing machine after every use

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a hand towel for each child which gets washed after each use - but only cos they're all part time. Should I have full time children I don't think I'd wash on 60 degrees every day! However, for older children I have cheap kitchen towel!
    Mrs.M x

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

The children used to have their own towels, but when we ended up with 19 on the books I gave up on that idea........ (We are reg for 9 at a session).

We do use paper towels in the bathroom and in the playroom, they got used a lot when it was all new but now it's just normal to the children and they don't abuse them

karen

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a hand towel dispenser. I never wanted one either but they are good.

More hygenic and the kids don't use too many towels now they are used to it... I have never ever had any towels go down the toilet!!

Oh and i have found the cheapest way to buy them is in bulk-you can buy big boxes (think thats roughly 20 packs) this lasts a good 6-10 months xx

VINASOL Guest

I have 6 mindees....they each have their own coloured (to match their plates/cups/cutlery) handtowel and face flannel. This gets washed once a week (sometimes more depending on how much they use it; some mindees go more than others lol)....my Inspector said it was much better this way and surely better for the environment?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindees are colour coded!
    They each have a towel in their own colour (same as their box for their stuff, snack box, bottles, cups, diaries etc)
    When they were smaller I put their picture on the hook, but now they all know which towel is theirs.
    I wash them at 60 along with all the bedding, blankets, muslins etc at the end of the week. Ofsted were very happy with that

Post Thanks / Like

I have packs of flannels from Ikea which are used once then go in the wash

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We use kitchen roll all the time. This is the same as our local preschool and primary school. Works well here.

Apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a terry towing nappy for each child (new ). They are all hung on individual hooks on the door with a name tag above (depending on whose here on the day).

I love the idea of the lo's decorating them. Off to buy some fabric paint yey!

xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have a big stack of cloth towels - single use and then hot washed

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a combination of Ikea flannels (a good size & coloured tags on them) and kitchen roll.

The children chose which they want to use. Paper towels go in the waste paper basket & flannels go in the washing bag (after each use) and get washed every evening. I would add though that all of my mindees are little and in nappies - none use the bathroom alone, so hand washing/drying is done under my direct supervision.

mar1981
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

all my mindees have their own flannels and pegs, this works well for us!

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fi fi View Post
    Flannels that are put in washing machine after every use
    me too.

We have a basket which they go in and I wash whats in it every day
    Love Amanda

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think single use flannels are better than children having individual towels as who can guarantee they actually use or don't in some other way contaminate the other towels.

personally I have one towel which is changed daily. I wash it on a 30 degree wash with all my other washing and no-one has yet got sick in 6 1/2 years. I know more 'precautions' should be taken but to this is my home, I want to help save the environment, and I think children are too sanitized these days. However, if I ran a nursery I would maybe have a different approach as I know these children and families really well if there were 30 or more families I think I'd want to take a few more precautions.

If I had a sick (d&v/conjuctivitis) child I'd give them their own towel for the day and make sure they'd use it.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindee is only 1 so had wanshing is done by me, so I know they are done correctly. We use kitchen roll at the moment but I am loving the idea of decorating there own towel.

We currently dont use upstairs, he doesn't sleep there and sleeps in the pram and I dont have a downstairs toilet, would you still take him upstairs to wash his hands?

c x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

when i only had 2 mindees they had there own towel that i hung over the bath, (teeny tiny bathroom!) when i started getting more mindees it got a bit ridiculous so we now just all share one towel which is washed regularly.

all my mindees are littlies so are supervised washing their hands anyway so i know they are clean before they use the towel.

anyway children need a few germs! we keep them far too clean nowadays

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have flannels colour code for each child they have one to wash with and one to dry with and they are changed daily.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast