Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice needed ASAP please

Posted before bout said family, late payments of fees!!

Have just had a text off child's parent saying they need to change days so I replied saying if I have space that's fine.
    Reply I got was "we just need one day now so I'll come on morning to change contract."

I replied saying I need four weeks notice of any kind of contract change especially since they text while I have their child and have told me they don't need him cared for tomorrow.

It's alot of money to lose inmediatly so what would you all do?

Tell them I have to have four weeks written notice and then they will only be charged for the one day?

Sorry if this is rambling but need advice ASAP!!

Shall I ring Ofsted or someone for their advice??

Thanks in advance

X
    Sarah x

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah,
    Yes, you're right: if you have 4 weeks notice to end contracts then its 4 weeks notice to end the current arrangements and its up to you whether you want to agree to the new ones .
    You don't need to tell/ask anyone - just write a letter accepting their 4 weeks notice to change/end contract. If its just a change to hours but no other terms, I'd probably just add a bit to the letter for them to sign saying they agree xxx are the new hours, with start date etc and state all other details remain the same as on the original contract. Then I'd staple the signed letter to the contract and give them a copy (also signed).

Stand up for yourself and don't let them tell you how you'll be running your business

best wishes,
    Wendy

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick to the terms of the contract hun!
    Good luck
    Carol xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted dont get involved in money issues at all, I dont know about any one else.

I would definitely expect 4 weeks notice as this is in my contract and 4 weeks payment.

If this is what is in your contract then explain that you will be happy to change their contract and fees to 1 day after the 4 weeks notice period.

Post Thanks / Like

They are being cheeky - they need to give/pay you whatever notice period is on your contract.

If they want to drop down to one day immediately, fine but they must still pay you for however many days a week they are contracted until the notice period ends.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had a very snotty reply when I told them I needed the four weeks notice

He said it doesnt state anywhere about changing hours just four werks notice about leave.(my period to completely end the contract is 6 weeks so they can either take my four weeks or give me my notice period to completely end contract) And they "certainly" don't need the next four weeks if care!
    What do I do if the refuse to pay the next four weeks of fees??

I'm quite new to minding only been going since nov so not sure how to handle this!!

Thanks x
    Sarah x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If it says 4weeks then stick to it....can you imagine what they would say if it was the other way round?
    If you told them today that you can only do 1 day from tomorrow...they wouldnt be happy

be strong
    becky x

Edited to say I would state that it is an end of contract as you have to draw another one up. I cant believe the nerve of some people

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick to the notice period hun, they need to pay you for the four weeks.
    Hope you get it sorted out ok

Jan 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Nursery Nurse
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah sunflower View Post
    Just had a very snotty reply when I told them I needed the four weeks notice

He said it doesnt state anywhere about changing hours just four werks notice about leave.(my period to completely end the contract is 6 weeks so they can either take my four weeks or give me my notice period to completely end contract) And they "certainly" don't need the next four weeks if care!
    What do I do if the refuse to pay the next four weeks of fees??

I'm quite new to minding only been going since nov so not sure how to handle this!!

Thanks x
    If the contract says it is 6 weeks notice to end the contract then that is what is due, as they are asking to end the current contract and have a new one put in place. By asking for 4 weeks notice you are actually letting them off two weeks notice.

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am annoyed to say the least!!

I'm not a good confrontational person!
    I HATE it!!

Dreading them coming to pick child up but will have a word when they do. Will explain it's four weeks to change the contract and they can either use the two days or pay for the two and just use one!! Grrrr this is the first "problem" family I have. They finish altogether at the end of July anyways!!

Thank you everyone. I'll be back tonight to tell you all what happened

X
    Sarah x

Post Thanks / Like

Be prepared that they may walk away owing you fees especially if they are not happy.

They've tried it on (I suspect they know very well that they should give you 6 weeks notice) now you have to stand firm and I hope you will get your money.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What happens if they do walk away owing me money??
    Sarah x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah sunflower View Post
    What happens if they do walk away owing me money??
    Are you with NCMA? I would phone them now & explain the situation. You then have some back up when parents come to collect their child as yu can say you have contacted your insurance company and they have advised you.... (whatever advice they give). Also ask what will happen if parents leave owing you money. Again, you will then have your answer ready if parents say anything about leaving immediately.

Get your facts ready before parents arrive. It makes any confrontation much easier if you know where you stand legally

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the parents pay in arrears? A lot of childminders now charge a month in advance to avoid parents leaving owing money, so it might be worth thinking about that when you get new parents. I hope it's sorted soon for you x

Jan-10
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I had a parent try to do this the other day, I checked the contract - where does it state 4 weeks to change current arrangements? When I checked the contract mine didn't say it anywhere - just 4 weeks notice of leave etc as this parent has stated!

I need to re-do my contracts I think

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mine in arreas
    I would explain to the parent that by changing days they need to end the current contract and start a new one therefore your offer of 4wks noitice instead of 6weeks was a good will gesture and that if they are not happy then maybe its better to end the contract alltogether and to give you the full 6wks notice,, if they dont pay ring your insurance company who will assist you in getting back moneys owed.
    good luck and let us know what happens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skytvaddict View Post
    I thought I had a parent try to do this the other day, I checked the contract - where does it state 4 weeks to change current arrangements? When I checked the contract mine didn't say it anywhere - just 4 weeks notice of leave etc as this parent has stated!

I need to re-do my contracts I think
    If you're using NCMA contracts there is space on the last page to put the number of weeks needed to terminate the contract.

If a parent wants to do less (or more) hours then the current contract needs to be terminated and a new one drawn up unless cm and parent agree otherwise.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    If you're using NCMA contracts there is space on the last page to put the number of weeks needed to terminate the contract.

If a parent wants to do less (or more) hours then the current contract needs to be terminated and a new one drawn up unless cm and parent agree otherwise.

Miffy xx
    Agree with Miffy. What the parent is asking you to do is finish the present contract and change it so a new one is needed. In this case it is x weeks notice to terminate contract before a new contract with new hours can start.

Any major change means a new contract and termination of old contract otherwise parents could drop from 40 hours a week to 2 without notice to us or decide to change days without our agreement.

The contract stands until 4 weeks notice is given to change the terms and conditions or terminate the contract.
    Last edited by tulip0803; 12-05-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say they need to give 4 weeks written notice

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mum came to pick up and I was brave and told her that she was meant to give me 6 weeks notice to change contract as she is ending present contract and starting a new one. However I will allow 4 weeks notice but want the cash when she brings child tomorrow and I will have a letter for her to sign stating that in four wks time she will be going onto a differnt contract and money will be expected in advance (as iv been chasing her for money every week!)

Glad its all done but tomorrows another day so we will see what step dad says tomorrow!! grrr!!! Glass of wine is needed now my lo is in bed!!

Thanks for everyones advice u have all been fab!!

I shall be back tomorrow to let you know if anything happened with step dad!! fingers crossed nothing happens

x
    Sarah x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast