Game.....points of view please??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Game.....points of view please??

Morning guys, I am just after a general opinion on allowing lo's (more mainly after schoolies etc) to use the Nintendo Wii.

I have had a Wii for a couple of years and I never use it so was going to get rid of it but a couple of the after schoolies have asked to use it during their half hour wind down while Im doing tea.

Just wondered what everyones opinions were on this and whether, if you do it/are agreeable to it etc you could recommend something educational they could play on?? xx

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My schoolies play on the wii before school and I don't expect them to do anything educational as they have that all day at school but someone has told me about this that sounds interesting

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-045...pd_sim_vg_h__2

Talk to the children and see what they would like because it is no good to you if you buy something and they never use it!

Cx

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Oo thanks Christine that looks fab - the reason I was swaying towards educational was because everything else I could think about I anticipated a problem with - fighting games, etc. I do have the sports one that came with it so could maybe just let them burn off some energy on that!!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine use it somtimes, they are allowed half hour of wii or tv an evening each but because of the nice weather I wont put it on untill at least 4.30pm now to give them a chance to play outside, the trouble is if I put it on for one child they all come in and either sit and watch or want to play it aswell and when its nice i would rather they play outside, I do say to the parents that we have a wii and the children are allowed to play on it then they can objecti if they want to.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1! View Post
    Oo thanks Christine that looks fab - the reason I was swaying towards educational was because everything else I could think about I anticipated a problem with - fighting games, etc. I do have the sports one that came with it so could maybe just let them burn off some energy on that!!
    I wouldn't allow fighting games either and wii sports is still a firm favourite here

Cx

jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a wii and the minded children do use it however it's more in the school holidays that before/after school.
    However my only rules are that all games must be age appropriate and trying to expain that to 6 yr olds who play 18yr old games at home can be a pain and that if there is any arguing/fighting then it gets switched off.
    We tend to play more the wii dance and am thinking about getting dance juniors as another childminder has this and the children love it, we play the wii sport games and the mario games. But sometimes I do allow the children to bring games from home however if they are unsuitable they get sent home with parents when child arrives so I have no constant questions to play on it.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a WII but the mindies don't play on it Well I only have under 2's atm but before when I had older children it was still a no. I feel it is something I want to keep just for my family as most kids these days have WII, DS etc etc.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

my older occasional school holiday mindees play on it - they are 12 and 11, my own are 14 and 17.

I had them as babies and toddlers, know the family well and we only play mario kart, sports and a car race game for the older boy and my DS

I know at home and with friends the 12 year old has played 18 games as he told me, but NOT here

They come for long days but only have it in short bursts and taking turns.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My after schoolers use it sometimes in the holidays but like others have mentioned we only play the sports games.
    Pixie Dust

Post Thanks / Like

I have one, but its in my lounge (older children use lounge for reading watching tv, quiet things, but not littlies as I have a 40 inch tv and leather furniture in there that I don't really want trashing ). My 3 year old mindee brought a Wii game with him the other day because he knows I have one (even though they don't play on it) I was a bit annoyed especially as I also had a very boisterous 2 year old and a 16 month old that day. As it was it was a nice sunny day so he didn't mention playing on it again, but wasn't very happy that mum had let him bring it without asking if it was ok!!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Wii, and the firm faves here are the just dance/just dance 2 and wii sports

have just downloaded Where's Wally today

but i REALLY want one of these.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/uDraw-Tablet...55269&sr= 8-1
    IS BACK

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i only allow mario karts or big brain (or other sitting down games) after school as I don't want the biggies clonking or treading on the littlies whilst they are playing
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are allowed to play on ours.

It doesnt tend to get used after school much but was a life saver during the wet Feb half term!

They play Wii sports, Mario Kart, etc and I also bought a Hasbro game which has mouse trap, cludo, game of life and some others on it which they all love.

Post Thanks / Like

My after schoolies use the Wii sometimes. I rarely say no because they rarely ask I have 4 of everything so they can all play together and they tend to play mariokart or sports games.

They are only allowed to use games that I provide though - that way I can control the age limitations.

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Wii Party is really good for group play
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats brilliant - thanks so much for your feedback guys - my newbie is totally obsessed with Wii and after a chat with mum it turns out hes on it at home all the time. He gets upset if I say he cant go on it so as a compromise we have decided that I will let him have half hour in the morning and half hour in the afternoon (instead of his TV time). Some of the games youve suggested look great - so a few more pennies for me to spend!!! and Hebs - that looks fab - I love my little gadgets!! xxx

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

crazy golf is a good cheap game too! when i had after schoolies i used to tie it up with a bit of PSR+N by getting them to tell me their scores or add them up - which number is higher etc.
    Blessed Be!