Panic Panic HELP ME!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Panic Panic HELP ME!

I started advertising last week and have had my first enquiry today.

She is coming to see me later at 5.30! AAGGHH!

To begin with it would be a short term contract for 8 weeks and just two days a week from 3-6pm which I know isn't much at all but it is a start isn't it. She may need more in September and I may not need her at all in September if I get more work in the meantime so it works well.

I am going to have a tidy round and have my portfolio and parent pack ready and my Ofsted and poster for parents up. Is there anything I am forgetting?

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

relax and think positive i just normally have a tidy round, if possible depending on how many kids are here, if i am seeing them during working hours i usually provide a small activity for the child to do. Get your paperwork sorted out and your portfolio/parent pack. If you need to, sit down for half an hour and read through your paperwork to refresh yourself incase she asks questions, but if you dont know the answer dont be afraid to say 'hold on i'll just double check'. I was soooooo nervous the first time. I always make a point of asking if they have looked at any other settings. I also dont ask them to sign up there and then, i ask them to go away and have a think about it and come back for a second visit if i am what they are looking for. GOOD LUCK and dont forget to post later and let us know
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be yourself as well as all the other advice offered. Good luck let us know how you get on.

Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I am so nervous!

My seven month old is teething so is really miserable and the lady is coming when I would normally be starting bedtime so she is going to be extra grumpy!!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I wold have my portfolio ready and some pics of what we do to show the parents,, maybe a few age appropriate toys/books out, I wold also tell this lady that if she decided to go ahead i would only offer a weeks notice incase a more permanant posting came up as you dont want to loose a permanant mindee over a short peroid one. other than that just be yourself and stick to your guns, dont be pushed in to offering somthing or doing somthing just because its your first mindee as there will be plenty more out there.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good lick, hope it goes ok. Let us know how you got on

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    13/03/11
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck, I know how you feel as only been minding since feb, I am sure you will be fine and it sounds as though you have everything in order. I always try and have first visits out of minding hours (something mentioned in our Introductory course to assist in our safeguarding) so these visits tend to be close to bedtime, I just explain my own little ones may be tired, and as a parent they should understand that.

Let us know how you get on

onceinabluemoon Guest

Too late to offer advice as she will be there in 2 minutes but just to wish you good luck xx

Feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it went really well and she has signed a short term seven week contract starting on the 2nd May!

It is only going to be six hours a week but it is a start and it did my confidence the world of good! She was really, really nice and her daughter is the same age as my daughter so a nice playmate for a few hours a week.

The only difficult part was gettig her to sig everything, she was in a hurry and I totally forgot to get her to fill in the Child Record Form. I will definitely get this sorted before I start minding her child.

Thanks for the encouragement all!

So now I need to notify Ofsted and sort out registering as self employed and my national insurance etc.

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yay!!

mandy xx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

great news honx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!!! It might only be a few hours, but its a start, and if she is happy she may well recommend you to others! How old is the child? just thinking if she is as school (going by hours) there may be others at the school needing care as well, just get mum to give them your name