Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Holidays?

Registered Childminder since
    may10
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Holidays?

just woundering how many holidays everyone takes over the year and do you charge for your holiday. Do your children pay for when they are on holiday.

after working with another childminder for the last year im starting up on my own next month and was reviewing my contract of care.

At the momoent we charge half price for our holidays ( 2 weeks and any bank holidays) and the children pay half price when they are on holiday

what does everyone else do ???

Aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for my holidays but take up to 5 weeks (which is in the contract). All parents have to pay 1/2 rate for their holidays.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melanieabigail2004 View Post
    I don't charge for my holidays but take up to 5 weeks (which is in the contract). All parents have to pay 1/2 rate for their holidays.
    I'm exactly the same.
    I don't charge bank holidays as it's too confusing. Just take them as my hols. But if anyone did want me to work a bank hol I would charge double
    Blondes have more fun!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fee for child's holiday, but no fee for my holiday as I am not available to work.

For bank holidays I am prepared to work, but at an enhanced rate (double fee). If parents decide to keep the child off they have to pay normal fee as I am available to work. I don't work Christmas or New Year bank holidays, so don't charge for them.

Basically I say that if I am available to work I charge, if I'm not available to work I don't. It makes it straight forward to understand.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melanieabigail2004 View Post
    Out of interest, what happens if parents use another childminder while you're off? Do they still have to pay you half fee as well as paying the other minder?

EDIT - Ignore that, I've read it wrong!!

Can anyone else answer though. If you charge half fee for YOUR holiday, do you still charge if parents have to pay another childminder?

I had a parent (not one of mine) asked if it is usual to have to pay 2 lots of childcare when her cm is on holiday.
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge no fee for my hols, full fee or 50% fee for childs hols depending on how much notice they give me (min 4 wks notice for half fee)

xxxx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i charge full fee for 3 weeks for all year round children (but all children are p-time so amounts to no more than 6 days). Other children are t-time I take max 3 days paid.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge half fee for parents holidays and half fee for mine. i have offered parents the option of paying full fee for their holidays and nothing for mine but every parent has gone with the half fee option. They know my holidays well in advance and say they are better off if they take their holidays at the same time as mine but if they occaisionally have to find and pay for other child care they have no objection. xx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Out of interest, what happens if parents use another childminder while you're off? Do they still have to pay you half fee as well as paying the other minder?

Can anyone else answer though. If you charge half fee for YOUR holiday, do you still charge if parents have to pay another childminder?

I had a parent (not one of mine) asked if it is usual to have to pay 2 lots of childcare when her cm is on holiday.
    Yes definately. It's not your problem. We all need holiday
    Blondes have more fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

This is one of the reasons I don't charge for my holiday. I am not available, therefore parents have to make alternative arrangements which may mean having to use another childminder (at least one of my parents does), so don't see how them having to pay twice for me having time off is fair but that's just my opinion

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Carolyn, I don't charge for my hols but charge full rates for theirs.

may10
    Post Thanks / Like

What does everyone do regarding children who only come in term time. when i first started minding i didnt charge but alot of my parents are teachers so only needed term time so i put my fees up to half price term time. What does everyone else do. Also do you charge the after school children in the holidays. I dont at the minuet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adele1985 View Post
    What does everyone do regarding children who only come in term time. when i first started minding i didnt charge but alot of my parents are teachers so only needed term time so i put my fees up to half price term time. What does everyone else do. Also do you charge the after school children in the holidays. I dont at the minuet.
    I have 1 lo who has the whole summer off, but not the rest of the the holidays (dad lecturer) and I charge half for her during the summer as she takes up one of my under 5 spaces (aged 2 1/2). The after schoolies I have term time only I don't charge a retainer for!