A reminder about facebook
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A reminder about facebook

One of my parents was chatting about facebook today. She said that she was really glad that I never make any comments about childminding other than the occasional 'what a fab day I'd had'.
    She was telling me that her husband was horrified when one of their facebook friends (who is a childminder) had posted comments about what a horrid day they'd had, children being awful and weren't parents ungrateful so and so's (and a few other choice things too apparently). She observed that because 'it's a small world' and we often share friends/work colleagues without knowing it (cos we're not facebook friends with everyone we know), and it would be very easy for such comments to get back to the people about which they were made IYSWIM. And whilst many parents would not mind their childminder telling them to their face, that their children had been right proper pains etc, they might not want the rest of the world to know. Unfortunately because we know our friends, it is often easy to work out which children or parents negative comments might refer to and this could result in, at worst, a breach of confidentiality.

The parent also said that they had considered sending their child to this childminder but in light of the comments the childminder often made on facebook, from a professional point of view, they were glad they'd chosen me instead.

Add to this the fact that many people have pretty low security on their facebook accounts, allowing friends of friends etc to view things it can mean that negative comments can have a much wider audience than they were initially intended.

So please people please be careful what you post on facebook...it may impact on peoples' professional opinion of you, which could in turn impact on word of mouth recommendations.

Registered Childminder since
    jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I sometimes want a rant I would never put anything about my childminding on there!

You are right, you never know who will see it and it is unprofessional, imo.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my husband thinks facebook is the route of all evil, and hates it, but it doesnt stop him from being nosey on my friends and our families status

I tend to only post jokes or play the really addictive farm games

Some peoples comments are best kept to themselves

Becky

feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my status today was.... i am in here under the eyfs folders... please send chocolate and coffee!! this is as much as a childminding thing i would do, i know a few childminders in my area who post photo's of the children in their care i would leave this to a parent even though i have permission forms i would never dream of doing this!!!!! i am friends with all my parents on FB and this is their request! we do private message as well as e-mail but we encript everything! maybe a little over the top but thats me!!!!

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i rarely write anything about childminding on fb, if i do then its never negative things and i wont be friends with mindees parents, not until they leave then its a nice way to keep in touch.

what i am having trouble with at the moment is hiding posts of my news feeds! i am friends with quite a few teenagers (children i used to nanny for) but the problem is they often write offensive posts with swearing in. i dont want my adult friends to see these posts but at the moment it wont let me hide them ive tried hiding posts by clicking on the x in the top right and it says they are hidden but when i refresh the page they are back again, it even does it if i click hide all thier posts!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

The most I write is things like 'ahh lovely, all three children asleep, time for a tea break'

I once had a parent go crazy because i'd made a comment that she very wrongly thought was about her child. Totally her insecurity but made me think twice about what I write as people can easily read things, even the most innocent things, in the wrong way.

TheBTeam Guest

Me too I dont really write anything childminding related on it.

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamiebec2000 View Post
    my husband thinks facebook is the route of all evil, and hates it, but it doesnt stop him from being nosey on my friends and our families status

Becky
    same as my hubby...

if i do say anything about minding its usually what weve been doing or how fab the day has been never anything negative fo the hope of getting more business

if i have anything negative i come here for a moan bu teven then its not very often...thank goodness

xx
    Jennie x x

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Becky
    It must be a man thing! My hubby hates it too!
    I go on facebook so I can see what my kids are up too It is sometimes easier to contact the 15 yo on chat than to try and shout over her music My eldest is at uni now, so I can see what she is up to (sometimes wish I didn't! )

I never post anything too personal, and try to get my kids not to aswell - easier said than done. I am addicted to 'Bejewelled Blitz'

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love facebook but i wouldn't dream of putting anything on there to do with childminding.
    One of my old mindees parent is on my friends but i never put any photo's comments or anything about the kids or my day.
    I think the only comment i ever put on there was "i am surrounded by paperwork need coffee lol lol"

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Apart from my business page which advertises my childminding and what we're doing (topics, not what we're actually doing lol) I never write about anything childminding related on my actual facebook page. In fact, more recently I can't even be bothered to update my status

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

My OH hates it too!!!!

But, I never, ever post anything about cming on there, and I wouldn't be facebook friends with any of my parents, cos frankly, I dont want to know what they get up to on their days off, and I dont want them knowing my business either!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marnie x

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i never write anything negative about the children, normally moans about doing accounts/paperwork or what a fab days we've had

i DO post pics of the children on fb, i have an album on there thats specifically for the mindees parents who have asked me to post the pics so they can show family, parents are tagged in the photos and Ofsted were totally fine with it
    I do have 2 sets of parents who dont want their kids photos posted so even the ones with their kids in the background DONT get posted, i show them the photos online so they know their children are not in them and they are also perfectly happy with this.

i also have a fb page for my business
    IS BACK

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont post about minding except nice stuff. Personally I dont want everyone to know I am a childminder, those that know are the ones closest to me.

I dont post photos of any children, even friends ones, as I wouldnt want my DS on there without my permission. I do sometimes send pics to one of my mums via blackberry messaging and have said they are for her only and please dont post on FB unless its just her son in it.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think people should be really careful when using facebook. I never ever make any reference to any of the children.

One thing that really concerns me about facebook is that often people discuss their holidays and how many sleeps etc until they go off to xyz for so many nights, or that they are off out for the day. Great advert for anyone wanting to break in and steal your wordly goods, as someone commented earlier you just don't know who is friends with who and who is reading what you post.

Cx

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I only post positive things about minding. Only negative things I ever put are about having to get up at 630 and cant wait for a lie in at wk end. Lol. But my parents also put the same on theirs . In general its never anything to do with minding and more about 'going to see chipmunk this week' woo woo lol

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I see lots of people moaning (in fairness, I have lots of forum friends on facebook, but never seen anything ). And have a parent on facbook which make sme laugh as all she does is say, arghhhhh when are the kids going back to E, E lied she said the kids were good ect ect

Hubby dislikes facbook, but does have a page to stalk everyone funny enough

sept 2006
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have stopped using facebook thanks to another childminder make a nasty comment to me when i was having a bad day.
    and to tell you the truth i don't miss it one it.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Becky
    so do i , i havent even got a fb account.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnieb View Post
    I wouldn't be facebook friends with any of my parents, cos frankly, I dont want to know what they get up to on their days off, and I dont want them knowing my business either!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I gave in to one parent who kept sending me requests so I accepted. I am more guarded about what I write but it's worked in my favour as she always posts when her kids are ill and if she didn't post there I wouldn't know!!! A few times she's posted that the kids have been sick/feverish etc and I've messaged her to remind her not to bring them to me the next day Otherwise they would get sent to me dosed up on calpol in the hope I wouldn't notice.

I usually say stuff like I'm up to my eyes in paperwork/study etc etc - doesn't hurt to let them know how much work I'm doing when I'm not working lol!! I've only ever posted one picture of a mindee - with the parent's permission - because she wanted to see a pic of him meeting father christmas and share it on her page for family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast