OMG kids can get us in SO much trouble...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMG kids can get us in SO much trouble...

It has just dawned on me how vulnerable we are...

My 2 year old mindee just said to me "you smacked me on Friday".

What the?!

I've made a note of it and will tell his mum when she picks him up but I have to say I'm panicking a little...

Any ideas?

Penny1959 Guest

Not as serious as your mindees comment but My mindee said while visiting a childminding friend 'I don't have soap before' (when washing hands) She meant she hadn't had WHITE soap before (mine is blue)

Penny

Pipsqueak Guest

I think you are doing the right thing - record it and mention to parents - just reiterate that cannot and never smack a child etc and that you have recorded it - actually get them to sign it as good measure that you have informed them. If they query it or try to dismiss it - just point out that its good practice as we are in such a vulnerable position.

Then I think we need to have little chats about 'stories' etc.

It is a rather innocent remark from a young child - she could have been smacked by parent or someone else and has gotten mixed up.

My little P age 3 (mindee) tells me all the time mum/dad smacked me...... you don't smack me do you...... are you going to smack me.......

Mar 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I was informed by one of my parents that her 6 year old daughter had informed her that I tied naughty children to the chairs!! Luckily I also had her 7 year old, much more sensible sister, who told mum it was a load of rubbish. Thankfully, mum new me quite well and was able to see the funny side of it, but we did have to have quite a long chat about telling tales and people (me ) getting into trouble when we tell them.
    I hope mum can see that it is just toddler talk.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

it is scary what they say (and what we don't even know they say about us). deal with it as a recorded incident and speak with mum and reassure her.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

He He - I had one last week that said to daddy - "she refused to feed me"!! This was after she had scoffed spag bol and jelly and icecream!! Luckily she said it in front of me so I soon put him straight!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How funny this thread has come up - I had this on Friday!

My full timer threw an almighty tantrum and as he threw himself on the floor he twisted his foot funny. I checked it out, made sure he could move it ok and there was no swelling or anything but he was limping a bit.

I wrote out an accident form for mum and while she was signing it she said in a jokey way to him "what have been doing to yourself this time then 'I'?" and he replied "nothing Georgie did it!"

My face must have been a picture but mum laughed and said "oh don't worry - he tells us all sorts about you! Mostly how you never give him dinner!"

And apparantly at Christmas he swore at the dinner table and when his nan asked who had taught him language like that he told her I did!!!!!

How mortified was I?!?!?!?
    Georgina x

jumpinjen Guest

I had this recently and was advised to write it up and ask parents to sign it. then record any other incidents of comments being made so that you haver documentation if anything did come of it (unlikely),

jen x

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're anything like me, you'll still worry even though there's no truth in it. Just a chat with parents should sort it.
    I had one who had told her Mum I had put her on the naughty step
    It was evident I hadn't as I don't have and never use a naughty step so would never have said it let alone done it.
    I explained to Mum that as per my behaviour management policy on extreme occasions I use time out, and that if I had used it I would inform parents (as I had done before), so she realised it was lo getting mixed up as they used the naughty step at home.
    Ali xx

Post Thanks / Like

I had a mindee who finished her meal then her sister(also mindee) gave her her chicken drumstick she had not touched.When mum came to collect she told mum she had been given leftover food to eat.
    i also had another mindee who i had all day parents working late.
    we spent the day out at activity centre came home afternoon and we did some planned activites at 7.30pm i thought she can have a little time out as poor thing looked exhausted so i said she could watch tv for a 20 minutes (she had school the following day).Dad came to collect at 8pm he asked her what she had been doing today she told him she had been watching tv all day!!!

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just had a nightmare with this sort of situation..... my full-time mindee M (3) apparently told her mum that my ds (8) said he was going to kill her and guess what?? mum believed her and I know 100% that this wasn't true I told mum this but she wasn't having any of it!!
    Hence I do not mind M anymore

But she used to tell me some stories what mum and dad get up to rather tall stories if you ask me!!!! x
    Is it Friday yet?

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank god I've not come across this! I do read the cautionary tales though - Don't Tell Lies Lucy is always a favourite. Maybe they take notice?!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

one almost 3yrold mindee of mine tripped over my foot in the hall and banged her head and as we were walking to a friends she looked at me and said,, you hurt my head i told my friend (another minder) who then asked the child what happend and child said i tripped over and banged my head but i still told mum what she said who thankfylly just laughed
    this thread does worry me tho as i look after a 5yrold mindee who lies lots and she could probably go home telling mum alsorts,, she has told mum i shout and i dont but we got to the bottom of it,, mum dosent raise her voice and i said to child infront of mum is this voice my shouting voice (it was a 'dont do that' in stern not shouting voice) and she said yes,, mum she raised her eyes!

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2 yr old who is always saying things, he cannot get his head round doing a clapping game, he always tells everyone that I keep hitting him when we play it, luckily mum witnessed it when we showed her the game. He still insisted I was hitting him, I dread to think what could happen if he told the wrong person as it is one of his favourite games.
    Teacake2

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

had to laugh at this thread.........my almost 2 yr old mindee started smacking his hand and saying "smack! smack! smack!"
    I had to explain to his mum we had been pretending to be crocodiles with arms outstretched, clapping palms together going "snap! snap! snap!" When she asked him what crocodiles did...............he went "smack, smack, smack!"......so relieved
    Last edited by sonia ann; 31-01-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my mindees 10yrs old tells me EVERY day that either her cat has been run over, had a stroke, fainted, collapsed or has died. Every day I wait for a new story She once told me her grandma had died that weekend. I sat with her while she spoke about her, we read a bereavement book together so imagine my complete shock when grandma collected her the next day

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mummyof3 View Post
    One of my mindees 10yrs old tells me EVERY day that either her cat has been run over, had a stroke, fainted, collapsed or has died. Every day I wait for a new story She once told me her grandma had died that weekend. I sat with her while she spoke about her, we read a bereavement book together so imagine my complete shock when grandma collected her the next day
    Ooo another lo with a morbid curiosity then.

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

one of my mindees said to me yesterday "I'm going to tell my mummy you hurt me". I have, and never will, hurt any child - minded or my own! I'm going to mention it to her this morning. He's known for telling lies, and I keep telling him how important it is to tell the truth, cos if someone DOES hurt him, nobody is going to believe him.

Hels xx

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

He he! Have to say some of these made me chuckle! I spoke to mum about it and she explained why it was (won't go into details but it was completely innocent) so all okay.

They're little monkeys aren't they!?

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an occasion when I first started minding in 2008 summer holidays when the 4 year old i was minding told me that her mum had said I was like Nanny Mcfee and if she is not good I will come round and lock her in a dungeon!! I was seething especially when she would just come out and say it for no reason "S, I don't want you to lock me in a dungeon!"
    Mum denyed it of course

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast