Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hi need some advise have i got right all advise appreciated

Hi
    looking for some advise on my plans

thinking of setting up a home child minding service mainly as im out of work and 2 daughters require full time child care aged 1year 10months
    my question is this
    i can look after and be paid to child mind my grandchildren providing im registered and able to look after other children is this correct?

they would get tax credits to pay me

if im right what stops me just being expensive so nobody else comes to me

the way i understand it, is that i would be acting within all the rules is that correct

advise appreciated
    regards

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: hi need some advise have i got right all advise appreciated

We are discussing this in another thread and its a bit unclear at the moment about the tax credit situation. You would be best to check with the tax credit people directly on that one.

You will need to find out what other childminder's are charging in your area to remain competitive. Get your daughter to ask around other mum's to see what other childminders and nursery's are charging them, she is well placed to get this information for you. Once you are registered and get to know other local childminder then it is something you ask each other from time to time.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matty199 View Post
    Hi
    looking for some advise on my plans

thinking of setting up a home child minding service mainly as im out of work and 2 daughters require full time child care aged 1year 10months
    my question is this
    i can look after and be paid to child mind my grandchildren providing im registered and able to look after other children is this correct?

they would get tax credits to pay me

if im right what stops me just being expensive so nobody else comes to me

the way i understand it, is that i would be acting within all the rules is that correct

advise appreciated
    regards
    If I understand you correctly, then you are trying to find a loophole in the law, no?

You have to be inspected and graded by Ofsted within 6 months of reg'ing and then every 3 yrs. Ofsted to not allow relations to be included as mindees for the purposes of an inspection and this may be where you come unstuck.
    Last edited by Minstrel; 05-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted about this on the other thread, the tax credits say that parent's can claim the tax credits as long as the relative who is caring for their children is doing the childcare in their own home and is registered.
    I suppose if you advertise yourself as a childminder it's up to you which children you take on to look after so Ofsted can't prove that you're doing this just so your daughters can claim tax credits. You'd only be allowed to look after 3 x under 5year olds anyway so you'd only have 1 space free which may be difficult to fill anyway with so many childminders having a quiet spell atm.

wrt the ofsted inspection, I think if you can prove that the children are with you long term and you have all the relevant paperwork and you haven't just got them that day for the inspection it should be fine but obviously you'd have to check with ofsted.

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default its not a loop hole

im not looking for a loophole in the law
    if my research is correct and please inform me if you think im wrong the following is correcr and legal and working within the frame work laid down

1.register as childminder ect
    2.childmind full time my 2 young grandchildren taking payment from my daughters
    3.they can claim assistance through working tax credits(if they qualify)
    4.any spaces left i have im within my rights to charge what i like(otherwise it would be a cartel and illegal)
    5.please advise what is wrong with that it seems legal with the guidlines from tax credits
    6.sure i not the only person here thinking of doing childminding full time for grandchildren and getting paid
    appreciate any views

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it all sounds fine to me. You will be doing a job and earning money and your family will be helped too. As a self employed business you can take on whatever business you want to regardless of your charges - just because you have a space you don't have to fill it.

I would speak to Ofsted and take it from there - good luck
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, it looks like you've answered your own questions there and don't really need our help at all
    Last edited by Bridey; 05-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default just wondered if anybody else is looking after granchildren as a childminder

would be interested in others considering getting paid to look after grandchildren

regards

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem is you can't be inspected with relatives and I'm not sure how long your reg will be valid without an inspection, you definately need to clarify this with ofsted.

Everything else is fully legal as far as I can tell
    what doesnt kill me makes me stronger!

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds as though you would be absolutely fine doing what you have suggested, but I wonder if you are aware of all the work involved in being a childminder?

If your grandchildren are under 5 you will have to work within the EYFS framework, meaning planning, observations and assessments will need to be done regularly. You will need to show that the activities etc you provide can support children's development and reference them to the EYFS. You will have to attend introductory training, first aid training too. Your house may need to be modified to comply with welfare regulations.
    Despite the children being your grandchildren, contracts will have to be written, policies devised and risk assessments done.
    You will need public liability insurance, house insurance that covers you for childminding (and relevant car insurance).
    You will need to register as being self employed, completing tax returns etc.

It isn't as simple as just registering to look after children, it really is a very involved process and can take several months just to become accepted by ofsted, and that's before you've even started the job.

Not intending to put you off, just letting you know what a serious commitment it actually is. Oh, and you don't need to price yourself out of the market, you can take on what children you choose and as many as you choose (within ofsted's approval numbers), so you can just take on your grandchildren if you wish.
    Tracey x

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what about ofsted

somebody said when you are inspected you cant have relatives
    is that right?
    what if you cant get anybody else would they remove your abaility to be a childminder
    seems a bit wrong to me

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been asked to childmind my sisters children so done a bit of research and found a document published my HMRC and on it it says

the relative must be a registered childminder and the childminder must care for at least one other child that is not a related to them

Hope this is of some help to you

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kel1983 View Post
    the relative must be a registered childminder and the childminder must care for at least one other child that is not a related to them
    I was just about to say that. But it doesn't have to be at the same time ... you could do a school drop off or pick up one day a week for example.

WRT inspections I have seen some reports of childminders who only had family members at the time of inspection. It just said couldn't be graded due to childminder looking after family only and given satisfactory. I think they went through paperwork and checked it tho.

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

oops... apologies... seems I gave wrong information. Didn't realise you had to look after others if caring for relatives.
    Tracey x

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a grandma who is a registered childminder. She told me that Ofsted had said she must care for at least one other child who isn't a family member or she would lose her registration.This was last year so unless things have changed this may be the case. Surely worth a phone call to ask Ofsted?
    Good luck with it all

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i know someone who minds her grandchildren and a none related child, on the day of her inspection her mindee was off ill so she just had her grandchild, she just didn't tell the inspector that and got graded good.

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i no someone who registered as a childminder just to have her 2 grandchildren so her daughter could get help with her child care, she has registered but she didnt expect to have to do eyfs etc ofsted have said she has to so bare that in mind she can have 1 other lo or older kids but doesnt want them. as for being expensive what you charge is up to you but tax credit will still only pay out so much so if you charge ie £40 a day instead of£30 she probably not get as much help???????

VINASOL Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    i know someone who minds her grandchildren and a none related child, on the day of her inspection her mindee was off ill so she just had her grandchild, she just didn't tell the inspector that and got graded good.
    I'm sorry but that is just unfair...(and YES I would report her) from someone who has just had her inspection today...and the work and effort that has gone into not only looking after these children but the courses, training and sheer hard work that goes into that.

Am I the only one slightly perturbed by the original post? (no offence intended).

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

No you're not.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No you're not! I'm glad these Ofsted rules are in place to try and retain the integrity of those of us who are professional and dedicated childcarers and not just trying to work the system.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast