Malicious complaints
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pipsqueak Guest

Default Malicious complaints

Its got me thinking (not always a good thing ) in light of the horrendous experiences some people have with malicious and false complaints, parents telling lies about us (meaning our business etc)

what could be done to support us more?
    what could we do to protect ourselves better?
    could NCMA do anything/put something into place to protect us better?

of course Ofsted have to investigate complaints but could they do anything differently?

is this something that we should be raising with NCMA?

thoughts???? discuss..........

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Malicious complaints

I agree that parents seem to think that if they don't want to pay up they can just make up some fictional complaint and get Ofsted round and we will let them off!!! But as to what can be done about it ???????????????? like you say Ofsted have to investigate, and to be honest they must get fed up of sending inspectors round to investigate a complaint only to discover its a complete fabrication Just not sure what the answer is

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

some penalty against the parent if complaint is unfounded and is only made to get out of paying.
    karen

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    some penalty against the parent if complaint is unfounded and is only made to get out of paying.
    but how/what though?

blacklisted perhaps????? again not really viable though

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a toughy...the problem is that a lot of the time complaints get intermingled with Child Protection issues...as you say OFSTED have to investigate...on top of this people have the right to complain annonymously & even if they do give their name - you don't find out (unless someone along the line messes up / or the nature of the complaint makes it so that you know who it was via details of the complaint - but even then this won't be confirmed IYSWIM!

Yes things shouldn't be as they are (Having been on the end of malicious complaints from other CM's & a parent not wanting to pay up)...but when you take CP into account it's hard to see a way around it!

Then there's the flip side of complaint investigations not showing up what they should - I know a CM who hurt a child in front of a witness - then lied to the parent about what happened, not knowing that the witness knew the parent - who then reported her to OFSTED...they investigated by letter - & because she didn't fill out an accident report at the time - said it never happened & OFSTED let the whole thing go!

As i said, it's a toughy!
    Blaze x

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously you all know we have just had to deal with this.

And I want something to be done about this, something has to be in place to protect us!
    Tomorrow I will be calling ncma, and ofsted to see what their stance is on this as mrs O IMHO offered no compasion or advice regarding these issues.

I'm going to call mm also as I want to prosicute the parent for the distress and time wasted, why shouldn't we as childminders be compensated and vindicated.

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the only thing we can do is have CCTV in every room but even then it wont really protect childminders and yes i do think something should be done to show parents that malicious complaints can come back on them
    IS BACK

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pinky33 View Post
    Obviously you all know we have just had to deal with this.

And I want something to be done about this, something has to be in place to protect us!
    Tomorrow I will be calling ncma, and ofsted to see what their stance is on this as mrs O IMHO offered no compasion or advice regarding these issues.

I'm going to call mm also as I want to prosicute the parent for the distress and time wasted, why shouldn't we as childminders be compensated and vindicated.

let us know what they say won't you Pinky.

I do believe myself that we should have some form of protection. I understand exactly what Blaze is saying but when allegations and complaints are blatently false, inaccurate and attempts to not pay/cause the minder max distress..... there needs to be some way of redressing this.

Perhaps its Ofsted who need to prosecute for waste of time.

Perhaps it should be warned to parents/other minders that this is what can happen.
    again i understand what Blaze is saying - i have reported a minder TWICE because of what she does to the children - with her adult daughter TELLING me whats happened. Even a senior CDO has witnessed and reported and Ofsted could find no evidence..... because the minder lied through her back teeth, refused to answer the door etc.

I know we could pursue legal action for defamatory/libellous/slanderous behaviour/remarks but does NCMA / MM support us in this.
    Could we sue for distress caused or loss of business/earnings (if that is what has happened) - especially if OFSTED find teh allegations unfounded.
    Again would NcMA support this?

Would NCMA/MM send a letter to the parent/minder saying cease this behaviour otherwise this action could be taken?

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure will report back

why are there not workshops on this subject? And never been covered in who minds mag or similar mags that I'm aware of.

I might call the mag editor see if it's something that interest them.

Got to be something collectively we canbdo

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Aside from 'one-off' complaints - i think if we all get parents to complete regular feedback forms we have a way of saying 'well you didn't think that 2 months ago' etc.... (I don't do this - but I think i will! )
    Blessed Be!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    Aside from 'one-off' complaints - i think if we all get parents to complete regular feedback forms we have a way of saying 'well you didn't think that 2 months ago' etc.... (I don't do this - but I think i will! )
    Actually thats not a bad idea - I confess to sending out questionnairs very rarely, and would like ot think that if parents had a problem they would let me know, but who knows??????????????????

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    I do this every 3 months x
    IS BACK

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    Actually thats not a bad idea - I confess to sending out questionnairs very rarely, and would like ot think that if parents had a problem they would let me know, but who knows??????????????????
    Its not about them being able to talk to you its about you being able to prove it should a parent leave and try to make a malicious complaint to get out of paying the notice period x
    IS BACK

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Its got me thinking (not always a good thing ) in light of the horrendous experiences some people have with malicious and false complaints, parents telling lies about us (meaning our business etc)

what could be done to support us more?
    what could we do to protect ourselves better?
    could NCMA do anything/put something into place to protect us better?
    of course Ofsted have to investigate complaints but could they do anything differently?

is this something that we should be raising with NCMA?

thoughts???? discuss..........
    We could suggest this for a forum topic, I think it would follow on from the topic that is coming up at the next forums (whistleblowing!)

Christine

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    We could suggest this for a forum topic, I think it would follow on from the topic that is coming up at the next forums (whistleblowing!)

Christine
    Just what I was thinking, sometimes there is a fine line between the subjects and as you say would follow on quite nicely.I'm sure the"blue boy" would love to raise this at the next NPF meeting. He's on a school run at the moment,but I'm sure he will be along later.

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this is something that we can fully be protected from. Many allegations that are made can't be proven one way or another - often their word against ours - so unless we can can proove beyond any doubt that we haven't done what we've been accused of, well, we're stuck.

What we can do is to try to help ourselves a bit more. Make sure that our policies are as airtight as they can be, contracts are properly completed, everything put in writing and kept professional - so any complaints made via text are responded to in writing with a professional (and not emtional) response with reference to policies, procedures, diary entries etc as our supporting evidence.
    We often end up 'getting tough' on policies etc when it's too late. We do it as a response to problems rather than having them sorted in the first place.
    I learnt the hard way when I previously childminded and had a parent leave without notice and then make up allegations of bad practice against me to get out of paying.

We are very vulnerable working alone. We often have nobody to support us as a witness when allegations are made and so can't proove that the allegations are false. It would be interesting to hear from the likes of the NCMA and MM to see if they can come up with any other options.
    Tracey x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
    Its not about them being able to talk to you its about you being able to prove it should a parent leave and try to make a malicious complaint to get out of paying the notice period x
    True - hadn't thought about it that way Will look at sending them out more regularly

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

don't forget it's not only parents that make malicious complaints against us

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by the happy house View Post
    Many allegations that are made can't be proven one way or another

Thing is mud sticks doesn't it, not to mention the stress it can cause - not just for the minder but for the whole family

What we can do is to try to help ourselves a bit more.

Thats true but its not always that easy
    Make sure that our policies are as airtight as they can be,
    but with each of us writing our own policies - without professional guidance - unless they are written into the contract - are they actually worth anything? For instance your sickness policy....... HOW many times has it been told that a parent has fibbed about their child not being ill..... they weren't sick last night....... and then lo and behold your whoel family comes down with same sick bug - and you loose income........ all because one client.

contracts are properly completed,
    thats true again but even when you follow advice to the letter you can still be stung

everything put in writing and kept professional - so any complaints made via text are responded to in writing with a professional (and not emtional)

can't argue with that

response with reference to policies, procedures, diary entries etc as our supporting evidence.

We are very vulnerable working alone. We often have nobody to support us as a witness when allegations are made and so can't proove that the allegations are false. It would be interesting to hear from the likes of the NCMA and MM to see if they can come up with any other options.

i agree - it would be interesting to see what NCMA have to say about this.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    don't forget it's not only parents that make malicious complaints against us
    Agreed and that is awful - a systematic assasination by another early years group/setting/organisation etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast