Chickenpox advice please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chickenpox advice please

Mum of mindee who I have on Thurs and Fri rang today to inform me that her eldest child (who I don't look after) has chickenpox. The spots appeared yesterday and so far mindee has not developed any spots and seems well. She wants to know whether I will be able to have mindee as normal on Thurs and Fri or whether he should stay at home just in case.
    She is phoning me tomorrow evening to let me know if mindee has any spots but if he is fine will it be ok to have him?
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chickenpox advice please

If the mindee is showing no signs of chicken pox then I would have as normal. I can't see any reason to exclude.
    The incubation period is around 14 days so plenty of time for spots to appear!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep 10-14 days to incubate! Chicken pox is contagious for only 1 day before spots appear and until they are all scabbed over, children can be irritable a day or two before spots appear(although not true of all children, of course!) DD1 is immuno-compromised and takes regular meds, so I assume this info is the right info as its what kings in london have said!
    I would have LO as usual unless he is showing any signs because although he'll probably get it, he may not. It quite often passes children by no matter how hard you try for them to catch it, sometimes more than once! DS and DD1 came into strong contact with it 2 years running before they finally got it the third year-when we were moving house!!

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

its most infectious 2 days before and for 5 days after the first spots appear. The recomendation is also exclusion for 5 days , its no longer thought necessary that they have to scab over. Schools also should accept 5 days after if the child is well.