Following on from the thread about digital photos and paying a yearly fee...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Following on from the thread about digital photos and paying a yearly fee...

I have decided that since i could barely scrape together this years Ofsted fees and still havent managed to pay for this years NCMA membership, there is no way that i am going to stress out over finding money for the fees to take and store digital photos!
    My digital camera is broken anyway so have been looking to replace it. I have decided to get a polaroid camera instead and wondered if it would be alright? Does anyone know where to get them from at a decent price? (maybe graham could get hold of some to sell in the forum shop for those of us that refuse to pay the yearly subscription for digipics?)

just a thought

What's for you, wont pass by you

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Following on from the thread about digital photos and paying a yearly fee...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinglesnark View Post
    I have decided that since i could barely scrape together this years Ofsted fees and still havent managed to pay for this years NCMA membership, there is no way that i am going to stress out over finding money for the fees to take and store digital photos!
    My digital camera is broken anyway so have been looking to replace it. I have decided to get a polaroid camera instead and wondered if it would be alright? Does anyone know where to get them from at a decent price? (maybe graham could get hold of some to sell in the forum shop for those of us that refuse to pay the yearly subscription for digipics?)

just a thought

Do you have any info regarding your mindees on your computer? Letters about holidays, invoices, do you do your accounts on your computer? If you do you I'm afraid will still have to register with the ICO. Its not just about Digital Photos.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Following on from the thread about digital photos and paying a yearly fee...

A friend of mine looked at doing it this way but she worked out that by the time she had paid for the camera, processing, films and rubbish photos she then had to throw away it would be cheaper for her to replace her digital.

The other problem is she was told that if she even used her computer to write letters or newsletters or anything related to work that involved a parents' name or child's details then she had to pay the registration fee anyway... the ICO told her this.

So reluctantly she paid it. She was inspected about a month later and it was something the inspector asked her if she had in place.

Hth

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

oh dear....

that kinda scuppers that

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hon, i'm afraid I agree with Sarah. It's not worth the risk of not being covered. Even if you keep only paper copies of everything you need to adhere to DP rules so it's worth paying it to ensure you're safe.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i see your point folks....it is pretty much an essential isnt it?

pfft....

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i see your point folks....it is pretty much an essential isnt it?

pfft....
    and expense that you could well do with out ?

Angel xx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe from my research it is just one of those things that has to be done. I am in no doubt that with the records I keep and the photos I take that it is absolutely necessary for me to register. Yes I could do without paying but then I could also do without paying for my car tax or my tv licence fee. But I do cos it's the law

Personally I couldn't work without using a digital camera. It is on my person all day and I would hate to think of the expense of printing all the photos I take just to get the perfect one for a child's dairy!

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I think polaroids are about £1 a photo (or they were when I had one) so really not worth the expense IMO.
    Blessed Be!

jun 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have decided to get a polaroid camera instead and wondered if it would be alright? Does anyone know where to get them from at a decent price? (maybe graham could get hold of some to sell in the forum shop for those of us that refuse to pay the yearly subscription for digipics?)

just a thought

I have added a Pogo Camera Two to the forum shop it is a camera with an integrated printer if that is any good.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/childmind...ail/B002PMDBZ2

I will have a look for some more polaroids too.

jun 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a true instant polaroid camera which doesn't store pictures.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/childmind...ail/B003B2ITI4
    Graham
    Assistant to d' ex boss

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Polaroids are very expensive, the films are in the region of £20. I will say though, don't be pressured into registering with the ICO if you do not store data electronically, it is perfectly possible to run this business without placing children's names, or images or details on electronic devices. And it is cheaper to use wet film than register if you are not planning on taking 100's of photo's which you will never use. The photographs taken are to provide evidence, not to go into a modelling portfolio, and there is no reason why anyone would consistently take useless snaps - even those of you without a photographic qualification should be able to point a camera at a child performing some accomplishment and get a picture of said child performing said task. (although I have seen some of my mums pics headless kids galore)
    However, if you prefer to take many pics, and chose a couple of perfect ones to print out then it will be cheaper in the long run to register with the ico, or if you write the children's names in newsletters or store their details on your computer etc.
    I am still unsure how the £35 a year ensures that the children's information is safe though? Could someone please enlighten me - is it so that the ICO can monitor your internet usage, or do they provide you with training or resources to help with security?

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im so fed up with this that i emailed ofsted saying that as it an ofsted requirement that I keep these records, maybe they should pay some if not all of the fee for us. Needless to say they have not had the decency to reply!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to pay for this soon and I am not happy about it but I think it must be done just for my own peace of mind, when it's sone it's done. But it is still daft! raaaahhhh!

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

i hate all this paying out when im not bringing anything in! ive been reg over a year and still no steady work - i have to keep asking dp to pay for things and although he is happy to it really gets to me! grrr!

sorry!

thanks for the replies - you are all right - better to be safe than sorry eh?

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive not registered for this and wondered how you do so x

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me if this applies in scotland? I've never heard it mentioned by the cc or other local childminders here and am wondering if it is needed how exactly am I meant to know lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have registered - reluctantly But what I'm not sure about is how does it protect us????? If someone pinches my laptop for instance (which has photos on but nothing to identify the children), how does me being registered with the ICO help

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not registered, can some tell me more about doing so, and what I get for my money.
    Sandy
    xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    I am still unsure how the £35 a year ensures that the children's information is safe though? Could someone please enlighten me - is it so that the ICO can monitor your internet usage, or do they provide you with training or resources to help with security?
    I have been wondering this myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast