Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When will be the right time?

I am in the unusual position that I am a childminder without any children of my own - yet! I am getting so broody and finally feel ready to start my own family and always thought that doing it this way round would enable me to continue working and stay at home - always wanted to work in childcare but was never the right time to leave the security of my safe office job.

I started minding in January and have a full house! I am earning so much more than before and have a good relationship with the parents and children.

My partner and I have been talking about starting a family soon (he is so eager) but I have just found out 1 of my full timers mums is expecting and although plans to reduce her days want me to have the baby as well. This is great financially (when she returns from her mat leave) and the little boys is adorable and would not want to lose him but now I worry that due to numbers extra that my own family will get put on hold. I worry that there will never be a good time to have a family of my own.

Sorry for the essay - but I am a born worrier and I think I try and plan things way to much but just wanted some advice on what you would do in my situation as I have not got the first clue about maternity leave entittlement etc!
    CANT GRASP EYFS - BUT I WILL GRASP IT IF ITS THE LAST THING I DO!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When will be the right time?

I think you are worrying far too much and trying to plan too much. Anything can happen with mindees, they can leave at anytime so you dont know where you will be with that in a years time. You dont know how long it will take to concieve so from that point of view cant plan when baby will arrive.

Stop panicking and GO FOR IT!!!!!!! xxxxx
    Lou xx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I say go for it!
    I'm like you in that i'm a total worrier and wanted to plan everything as much as possible. When it came to it we were very lucky and it only took us 3 months to get pregnant. But actually being pregnant and having a baby has taught me that life cannot be planned. Sometimes you have to go with the flow.
    In the nicest way possible- there is never a good time to have a baby! There will always be a reason to wait a bit longer....not enough money, house not big enough, haven't travelled where you wanted to, job going too well to take time out....but ultimately none of those mean a thing compared to having a child.

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that you should think about what you want - a family - and go for it. Everything else will just work out. If we all sat down and thought about the "right" time for a family I reckon the human race wouldve died out by now

I can't really advise you about maternity entitlement - I know legally you have to have two weeks off after giving birth but I don't know about money or anything. Hopefully someone wise will know!

Dont stress about it and definitely don't put off having a family to accommodate others!!

Take care xx

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

id say go for it as someone else has said you don't know how long it will take you to conceive took us 6 years... so start practising now
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Post Thanks / Like

I would also say go for it!!! We tried for 5 years before having to have IVF for my boys and had been married for 9 years by the time they came along. If you want a family of your own I wouldn't worry about childminding it will work out!!! Good luck - look forward to the announcement on the forum babies section.....................................soon hopefully

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else, go for it, the childminding will have to work around your family, not the other way round!

Sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say go for it also!! It will be the best and the hardest thing you do, and like the others say, there will never be a 'right time' for starting a family... who knows when you will fall pregnant.. what happens with your mindees etc.. etc..

Go for it!! Have fun 'making' the baby hehehe!
    Happy days

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're ready go for it, you'll never regret it!
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just do it!

I had no children when i started minding and it also took 2 yrs and medication for me to concieve.

As for entitlement as long as you have been paying your NI you are entitled to 9 months on statutory pay which is £120 per week
    PRINCESS DAISY FLOWER