Is double time too much to ask?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    phoebe-alice Guest

Default Is double time too much to ask?

A parent requested one off Sunday work for a few hours for a toddler christmas party, while I have the older child, is double time too much to ask?
    I usually charge £3.00 as they have been given a sibling discount but just wanted some more peoples views on if that was fair to ask double time for the Sunday as that is my day off and I have never worked it unless really needed?
    My partner and family said it was fair but I can't help but feel guilty?
    Ideas please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is double time too much to ask?

It is up to you hun, your business so your rules.

I personally would never work a Sunday, so think double time is more than fair, but she might think you would just do it as a favour!!!

You say whatever price you think, if she doesnt want to pay it, she can look after her own child!!!
    Lou xx

Registered Childminder since
    Jan-10
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the occasional Sunday and Bank Holiday and charge double time (I also charge £3.00 an hour normally).

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats in your policy/contract for out of hours charges??? Go by that, its an agreed and signed document!
    Jo -Rain or Shine CM

phoebe-alice Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    It is up to you hun, your business so your rules.

I personally would never work a Sunday, so think double time is more than fair, but she might think you would just do it as a favour!!!

You say whatever price you think, if she doesnt want to pay it, she can look after her own child!!!
    Yeah I never normally work Sunday's as they are family time but at the moment I could really be doing with the money.
    She did say it would be a big favour but as I explained in my text I just sent that has always been my day off and family time, I don't know why I get so nervus awaiting reply! Its a bit stomach churning with all the trouble that has gone on in the past, plus a terrible day failed my first attemp driving test after some idiot pulled out in front of me.
    Tomorrow has to be better! Thank you for your advise though at least I know someone else at least agrees with me.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd charge double for a Sunday....any less and she might start asking all the time!

Lady Haha Guest

I worked yesterday as a favour to one of my mums and I charged my unsocial hours fee of £5.00 ph (my usual is £3.70ph). I would say £6.00 ph is reasonable for a Sunday though!

Penny1959 Guest

I agree to - £6 is reasonable - and you are doing her a favour by offering to work on your day off.

It is up to her if she pays or not - if not happy to pay she can always take older child with her or find someone else to look after older child.

Penny

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

£6 is very reasonable,, I charge £5 for saturdays and if anyone asked i would charge £10 for sundays cause I really dont want to work them as its my only day off and i spend it with my children,,

Sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your double charge is totally fair and would not mind to pay it if I was the parent. It's sunday afterall... so I'm sure they will understand
    Happy days

Post Thanks / Like

I agree £6 sounds fair to me, and if its only for a few hours anyway its not going to cost her a fortune, and you have got to make it worth your while giving your day off up!!!

Good luck with speaking to mum

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

assuming you only have 1 child you are only just making minumum wage there so very fair

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I work Sundays and charge double time - Mum is more than happy to pay that.
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

phoebe-alice Guest

In the end the mum decided to buy the older child an adults ticket to the toddler christmas party, as aparently it was only one child ticket per adult which was weird to me. I would of thought it would be encouraged that siblings would go too. And don't know what a mum would do if she had 2 the same age, just choose one to go and one not to haha?
    I cant believe she thought that was too much to pay for me to give up my only day off though, I thought that was reasonable. But oh well at least I get a chance to put my feet up and have some family time with my partner.
    Thanks for all your advise though think I'll put it in stone now that a Sunday will be double time then at least its worth giving up my day off!