what are your themes for bonfire night
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what are your themes for bonfire night

would love some ideas thinking of doing a picture and some sort of cooking or any arts and crafts thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what are your themes for bonfire night

Post Thanks / Like

We're making rockets (******), firework splatter pictures; chocolate apples - that's as far as I've got!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Mindees all one year old so something simple.....i'll probably get them to paint a cardboard tube and stick strips of tissue paper on the end, then I can stick a cone shape on top to make it look like a rocket firework. And maybe make a bonfire, sticking lots of bits of red/ orange/ yellow tissue on to card in a bonfire shape....they could make one big one together.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We're making sparklers....kebab sticks with tinsel on the end
    Also going to make a guy as well for the community bonfire that one of my mums is organising.
    We'll be having bangers and mash for tea that night (followed by indian sweets cos its diwali as well the same day!)
    I also have some bonfire related colouring sheets as well for them to colour in so that I can stick them into their LJs.

Nov02
    Post Thanks / Like

For cookery what about a packet of chocolate fingers and add hundreds and thousands on the ends using hot water to make it stick - gives the impression of a sparkler! Also you can use the basic fairy cake mixtures (3oz sr flour, 2 oz of caster sugar and 2 oz of margarine with one egg) and then decorate the top using icing sugar with water and a bit of orange colouring with chocolate flake on top to give the impression of a bonfire!! Of course you could buy basic fairy cakes and decorate the tops!

FEB 01
    Post Thanks / Like

we are painting on back card, with different paints and we are using feathers for paint brushes, so the look like fireworks,

good luck

jumpinjen Guest

I'm making catherine wheels with paper plates tomorow and a split pin in the centre to allow the parts to spin (made from diff shaped pieces of card) - and bonfires wednesday with twigs then crinkly paper for the flames - a bit spontaneous as the after schoolies want to do it so I'm scrambling to keep up! Will plan properly another year!

jen x

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    We're making rockets (******), firework splatter pictures; chocolate apples - that's as far as I've got!

Miffy xx
    what are your firework splatter pics gonna be like? I have 3 under 1s so maybe that would work for them??

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

We're launching into a little theme of light and dark following Bonfire Night.
    -Going to put mini tent up, close curtains and put a torch or two in tent - especially in evenings.
    -Get a shoe box and put a hole in top to peek through and side to shine torch through. Inside box put reflective things as well as different colours (lighter colours are more easily visible).
    -Wax crayons colouring on a sheet of paper, black paint over top, then scratch off paints with end of brush in fire work patterns and the coloured crayons shine through.
    -Look out for reflective gear when out and about (bikes, workers high vis jackets) and relate to dark evenings / safety
    -diwali of course: story of Rama and Sita and how people lit lights in their windows to show them the way home. Acting out story with shadow puppets.
    -looking at shadows on sunny afternoons (long at this time of year)
    -books: Dr Zeus, What Was I Afraid of?, The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark, Can't you sleep, Little Bear, Non-Fiction Books
    -Space, stars, etc
    -Christmas lights, sparkly decorations, etc

Of course, I'll go with the children's interests and pan it if they much prefer to do something else. And it's all very basic exploratory stuff, not in depth knowledge, adapted for different age levels (21months - 9 years!)

may 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am doing a mixture of Diwali and bonfire night. Yesterday we watched a clip from Let's Celebrate on Diwali and they had fireworks. My mindees are 2 and under so none of them knew what fireworks were it was nice to be able to show them on TV. I used black paper, lots of sequins and glitter to do our own pictures. They all looked really effective. Today we are doing bonfire pictures with brown funky foam cut into strips and lots of red, orange and coloured paper. I am also doing bread sticks the ends dipped in choc with sprinkles as sparklers. (this came from one of the magazines) I will show them a sparkler tomorrow when my husband is off and can help supervise but as they are all 2 and under they won't be having their own. x

Post Thanks / Like

My girls are wanting to do glitter firework pictures, my boys are going..."oh no do we have to" LOL

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We did glitter firework pics lastnight, it was fun. My 3yr old Dd and my 7 yr old mindee made some gorgeous pictures BUT my 10mth old just wanted to eat the glitter and glue.... Im really stuck as to what activities to do with them. baby just wants to eat anything he gets hold of so not much I can do with him really as food is really strict too unless its healthy stuff so no cake baking and decoarting either. Anyone else have this issue with wanting to eat everything?

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I helped a nearly 4 year old make a firework with paper tube, glitter, strips of crepe paper at end.

Then the 18 month and two year old (and nearly 4 year old) spent afternoon in garden sweeping all the old leaves together to make a "bonfire" and chalked all over my patio making fireworks!

Tomorrow I'm doing some diwali bits as the 18 month old is Indian. Will prob just trace her hand and make a diwali card and then do tealight playdough things for older ones.

Just got over doing halloween!

Soon be Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
    what are your firework splatter pics gonna be like? I have 3 under 1s so maybe that would work for them??
    We used toothbrushes dipped in watered down paint and then flicked at black paper - kept them entertained for ages. Think it might be a bit ambitious for under 1's.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeanneC View Post
    We did glitter firework pics lastnight, it was fun. My 3yr old Dd and my 7 yr old mindee made some gorgeous pictures BUT my 10mth old just wanted to eat the glitter and glue.... Im really stuck as to what activities to do with them. baby just wants to eat anything he gets hold of so not much I can do with him really as food is really strict too unless its healthy stuff so no cake baking and decoarting either. Anyone else have this issue with wanting to eat everything?
    Yes!! All mine are under 1 so I really struggle for ideas! I did think about putting different colour paints on trays, and getting LOs to dip their hands in and then go mad with some black paper, to see if it might resemble fireworks!! Might try this tomorrow so will let you know how it turns out! But i'll have to be ready just in case hands go in mouths which is very likely!

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    We used toothbrushes dipped in watered down paint and then flicked at black paper - kept them entertained for ages. Think it might be a bit ambitious for under 1's.

Miffy xx
    ooh sounds good! but yeah i think you'r eright - bit too ambitious!

sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We went to the c/c last week and they had cut an A4 frame out of coloured card stuck it onto a black piece of card and gave the children cotton buds to paint with, my 2 year old did one and it looks just like fireworks, very effective, would put a picture on but have no idea how to xx