Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Leaving a child home alone

Hello there,

One of my parents has requested that when I take her child to rainbows I leave the 11 year old sibling (who has just started secondary school) behind at my home alone, so he can complete his homework. The child in question is very sensible and very trustworthy.

But what would you do? As there is no legal age restriction any guidance would be appreciated. Would a permission slip suffice or would Ofsted frown on her request?

Pleeeeaaase help, I'm at a loss as to what is deemed appropriate!

April06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leaving a child home alone

Hiya!!! I wouldn't take any chances, god forbid anything happened it would be on your head!!! ring Ofsted for peace of mind xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think it would be a big NO! As the child would be in your house and your responsibility. A permission form from the parents would not stand up in court if anything happened.
    Do you have to stay at Rainbows, how long does it take to get there and back?

Could the older child not take the homework with him if you have to stay with the youngest?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldnt. But obviously every one may have a different view on this.
    I would still take the child with me if they are in my care. I have some secondary school age children and while Im happy for them to arrive independantly (with permissions), I would not consider leaving them in my house for any length of time. If they attend my setting then Im responsible for them and I cannot safeguard them if I cannot hear or see them.
    Im not sure what the legal/Ofsted perspective is, maybe soemone else may come along soon with some more info

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't leave any minded child alone in my home even if they were 18! They are your responsibility. I would take him and the homework with me or not take to Rainbows. Could one of mums friends collect and take the little one to Rainbows?

Pipsqueak Guest

No no no no.

There is no law on leaving children 'home alone' - it just states that the child needs to be mature enough to cope with an emergency. That is such a grey area.
    You are also childminding them and are subject to Ofsted, insurances etc etc.

No no no

Not to mention i don't want to leave other children alone in MY home.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    No no no no.

There is no law on leaving children 'home alone' - it just states that the child needs to be mature enough to cope with an emergency. That is such a grey area.
    You are also childminding them and are subject to Ofsted, insurances etc etc.

No no no

Not to mention i don't want to leave other children alone in MY home.
    Totally agreed. I would say a big no to this.
    Georgina x

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst there is no age limit governing leaving a child home alone in your own home, the child in question would be under your care, a totally different scenario.
    I doubt your insurance would cover any accident/incident that may happen and I'm sure OFSTED would hold you responsible for any incident/accident that happened whilst a child was left unattended in your setting.
    Come back David....

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i would leave my own children at that age but neva a minded child,,

it has happened and a parent went mad although the person in question had no choice (very very long story)... insurance would not cover you if you left a child so always think the worse and safeguard YOURSELF XX

onceinabluemoon Guest

Some excellent advice already. I'd tell Mum no too - I think Ofsted would have a field day with you leaving the child at home alone

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[I wouldnt leave my own at 11 , never mind a mindee!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    Some excellent advice already. I'd tell Mum no too - I think Ofsted would have a field day with you leaving the child at home alone
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

aly Guest

after having a MINOR fire at home today with me there, I dread to think what would happen if I didnt notice and went out without a mindee.

for me it would be to ignore her request....if you are worried abotu saying no tell her your insurance wouldnt allow it.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Another NO WAY! It is my understanding that although you can leave a child (your own) if anything happens then you can be prosecuted for neglect. I would imagine your insurance would say no, thats probably the least confrontational way to turn mum down.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be tempted! You have no control over what happens whilst you're not there.

I'm sure your insurance wouldn't cover you

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not registered yet but have spoke to SS about this issue previously-even though there is no law regarding leaving yours or any other children home alone at a certain age, IF the child was to have an accident it would be classed as neglect and investigated as such.

Def not worth the risk HTH

Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

I am yet again shocked at the attitude of some parents. How could she possibly even think of putting you in the position of even having to answer this request.
    Absolutely no.

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAWI View Post
    Personally I wouldnt. But obviously every one may have a different view on this.
    I would still take the child with me if they are in my care. I have some secondary school age children and while Im happy for them to arrive independantly (with permissions), I would not consider leaving them in my house for any length of time. If they attend my setting then Im responsible for them and I cannot safeguard them if I cannot hear or see them.
    Im not sure what the legal/Ofsted perspective is, maybe soemone else may come along soon with some more info
    this is my policy also and how i deal with my 11 yr old mindee. xx

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally have left my own 11 year old at home while dropping his sister to guides etc and when she started high school I did the same BUT they were my children and I am entitled to make those decisions.

When it comes to mindees no matter what age they are they go where I go - I'm being paid to care for them and that is what I do care for them - As far as I'm concerned his homework won't suffer for the sake of the 10-20 minutes it will take to drop his sister off. If mum wants you to care for him she must respect your policies etc and that is that.
    Celest

Mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot everyone for your prompt replies. No it is then!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast