Advice, not sure what I can do
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice, not sure what I can do

Further to my previous post about my new after schooler, I'm having more issues! I decided in the end that despite the hours having changed from before and after school everyday to just after school on 3 days I would give it a go and see what happened.

So last week was her first week with me and she seems very nice which made me feel better, then wed came this week and she didn't show. I called mum who was very vague and said she'd try and find her, long story short it turns out she'd ran away to a friends house and the police brought her home at 11pm! Thur she came and was fine, the upside being she is very nice, chats away to me and gets on with the other mindees.

I gave her a letter yesterday for her mum asking what hours if any were required over the oct holidays (she'd been vague about holiday care at the first meeting). She called today to say yes she would need holiday cover and was thinking she could come to me 12-1 and have lunch then come back 4-5 for dinner Well first off I explained I don't do dinner at that time we have dinner as a family when everyone else has gone home, so she said ok well just 12-1. I explained as nicely and calmly as I could that really that wasn't ok, it would mean I had to stay home every day for the sake of one hour, the compromise reached was 12-3 but to be honest I'm really not happy. What can I do? My other schoolie is term time only so won't be here so it'll just be my own two and on 2 days a 7m old mindee and on some of the other days a 3.5y, I might even have a day or two off with my girls if it wasn;t for this one.

I'm not sure where I stand though? The contract states 4 weeks notice, but the hours have changed completely since it was signed and she only started on the 22nd sept. It's an scma contract does anyone know if they have a settling period built in (not at home so can't check yet).

Thanks very much for reading if you've got this far x

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: Advice, not sure what I can do

Have you got a written agreement that the 12-3 was confirmed?
    I would tell the parent that you have reconsidered and feel that this will not work and that you cannot offer holiday care for those hours.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Have you got a written agreement that the 12-3 was confirmed?
    I would tell the parent that you have reconsidered and feel that this will not work and that you cannot offer holiday care for those hours.
    Nope nothing in writing, contract just states mon-fri 7-9 and after school.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhazy View Post
    Nope nothing in writing, contract just states mon-fri 7-9 and after school.
    so its just been arranged verbally over the last couple of days?

I would ring her back giving your apologies but you feel you cannot commit to that.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    so its just been arranged verbally over the last couple of days?

I would ring her back giving your apologies but you feel you cannot commit to that.
    Yes, she just called me this morning to confirm cos I had asked her to let me know if and when she required holiday care. The thing is she is at uni so apart from 12-3 with me the child will be on her own anyway. I get the impression mum is using me as a drop in/check up service to make sure she can't go far from home.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell her it is a full day or you wont be prepared to do it, as you tend to be out and about in holidays.

She has to fit in with your routine, not you alter your routine to suit her.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

mar 03
    Post Thanks / Like

If she wanted you 12 - 1 then 4 - 5pm she does not want a drop and check , she wants a dinner lady! Sounds to me she would only be comin to be fed.
    Id advise as per contract your hours are as agreed. If she chooses to only send her those 3 hours then the full day fee still applies.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i would agree to the 12-1 and 4-5 and then tell her you will be charging the full day as she is in effect taking up a 'space' (no matter how old the child we all have limits on how many we would take on) for the whole day. i think she would soon get something else sorted. :-)

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She called today to say yes she would need holiday cover and was thinking she could come to me 12-1 and have lunch then come back 4-5 for dinner

what a ridiculous thing to do. surely that will inconvenience HER as much as you. What she's trying to do, save on her food bill???