Walking the school run in all weather?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: Walking the school run in all weather?

i walk but then I live 5 minutes from the school

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Right then...decision made.... I WILL be walking to school as long as the rain is not torrential....I will need to buy myself some waterproof trousers this wkend oh yes and some wellies. Then I can join in with the puddle jumping

Just hope my LO who is 3 doesn't come in his canvas pumps he had on Wed then insisted on jumping in every puddle from the car to the classroom and was soaked up to his waist then refusing to get changed

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We walk whatever the weather, too many to fit in the car and it's only half a mile to school. I have spare coats and wellies for the pre-schoolers and the older ones soon learn to remember their coats and umbrellas. When older children first start here they're often amazed and horrified that we walk to school, and will ask what happens if it rains. The other children will cheerfully tell them that they'll get wet

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

we have no choice and have to walk , I have wellies and a buggy brolly which is fab but need a totally waterproof coat, I have encouraged parents to provide suitable clothing, as opposed to fashion items, one family have tried to find some the other family likes their children to wear the latest trends, so I do offer children the use of my waterproofs if they wish. Its not to bad on the home journey cos we can have hot chocolate when we get it and warm towels to dry off, the going to school bit is the hardest if the kids get wet, fortunately the local school has spare clothes. the EYFS states that children should have opportunities to be outside in all weathers so I think my mindees are getting that

Post Thanks / Like

We walk everywhere in all weathers I do drive but by the time we have waited for everyone to come out we are soaked through anyway, 2 days this week I had my flip flops on in the pouring rain...I refuse to wear winter shoes yet

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I am too far away from the school to walk and then to get in time to the nursery we would have to be running....fast!!....

I am thinking now though of trying to do some of the school pick ups on foot if the weather is not too bad. I will have to see how it goes because of the distance. My dd is 2 1/2 and a good walker and hasnt been in a push chair in a year. other mindee with additional needs is nearly 5...to big to be pushed but can't manage really long distances on a regular basis either.

When I first started out cm'ing and I didnt have a car. I had parents turn down a place when they found out their kids (5+8) would have to walk to a school that is 20 minutes away...and there was no talk yet about bad weather.

I think it is ok to walk as much as possible but I would hate to have to do it in torrential downpours and gailforce winds.....
    Nicole xx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a 40 minute walk at the last place and I always walked regardless of the weather. If I have an under 1 then we put the rain cover on, children older than that in the buggy wrap up warm with a fleece blanket over them, and older kids wear wellies and coats. I took spare clothes for the kids to change into once we arrived if they had gotten wet. I did keep a supply of cheap wet weather gear and thrift shop clothes for wearing in the rain so any precious suede boots/coats didn't get water damaged.
    As soon as we got back home (another 40 mintues walk) we got changed up and dried off, then we had a nice warm snack.
    No worries.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fluffyemma22 View Post
    We walk everywhere in all weathers I do drive but by the time we have waited for everyone to come out we are soaked through anyway, 2 days this week I had my flip flops on in the pouring rain...I refuse to wear winter shoes yet
    i wear my crocs in the rain! (and sun, and fog, and snow, ...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12