Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default childminding to playgroup

I did post earlier in the summer about possibly changing from childminding to playgroup. I just wanted you to know that I have today received a job offer for the position of Leader of a new playgroup starting in my local area in November.

I am in shell shock at present as had tried earlier on for the simple position of Early Years Assistant at another playgroup and didn't even get an interview!

Now the worst part - I have to inform my mindees mum. I have only twins at the moment 3 days a week and this is one of the reasons why I am giving up - the hours are long (8 to 6) and it is difficult for me to get time for my own daughter completing homeworks, after schools activities etc. Mum has only just returned to work after chemo for cancer and I really feel I am letting them down.

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: childminding to playgroup

Congratulations on your new job

Can you perhaps give her some names of other cm's with vancancies...sften the blow a little?

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps when the twins are old enough she will send them to your playgroup. people leave jobs all the time, you are only doing the same, i'm sure she'll be pleased for you.
    Well done on the job, thats fab xx

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats great congratulations!!!

The only thing you can do is offer names of other cm's in the area who could take them on. Don't feel bad you're doing it for your family. The parents have enough time to sort out something else. I'm a little jealous lol x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

well done you! why don't you try to find her someone you would be happy with them going to then you can give mum some bad and some good news at the same time.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nov02
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Have texted mum to say I would like to see her - feel it would be better to do it face to face and get it all over with today if possible!

Unfortunately I cannot really offer her any other names of childminders - mainly because of the hours, the fact that there are 2 and many have only spaces for 1. I did do a ring around but this is what I am hearing!! At least she has a month to sort something out but boy do I feel really guilty!

Pipsqueak Guest

Congratulations, thats fantastic.

Perhaps you can encourage the mum to use the playgroup!!! lol
    i am sure she will find someone else though

Nov02
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I told mum but she wasn't very pleased. I think she is starting to realise what I have actually been doing for her. I keep the kids for 3 days a week from 8 am to 6 pm. I give them 3 meals every day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. I take them home to dad as mum doesn't actually get in until 7 pm and with dad driving either a van or a lorry he cannot transport them. She is thinking of a nursery placement but the question will be who can collect them at 6 and take them home. I take the kids out 2 mornings to toddlers and 1 to soft play. I tried childminders but either they preferred a full time ie 8.30 to 5.30 at the most 5 days a week, not many wanted that extra half hour either side nor the need to provide meals as many times each day. Also the reward is not ideal - I only get £4 an hour for both boys at present. I have tried most of the childminders I personally know but there are no spaces for both only for 1 - most were saying that they probably would need either another child to make up the money or else they feel twins could be quite intensive and it would be hard going!!

I feel really awful for mum but have to think of myself at present. Financially I couldn't keep them on and was scared of taking another child on for the safety aspect and also I am always very tired after working with them all day.

I am going to a new job that is 10 hours less and slightly more money, with only working mornings so putting that in perspective I think I am doing the right thing.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    Congratulations !
    Sounds to me like you are doing exactly the right thing. You and your family are just as important as anyone else's. Good luck with the new job

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

shame that mum is not happy hon, but you need to do what's best for you. At the end of the day mum could've given notice next week.

Would none of the childminders' you spoke to drop the childrne home at 5.30 maybe. What time is Dad home? Or can't he walk???

TheBTeam Guest

Hi, i definitely think it sounds like the right thing for your family, i personally would never have done so much for that money!

Nov02
    Post Thanks / Like

Well mum left off the children today and said she had got a Surestart nursery to take them from 1 to 6 each afternoon but it is not the afternoons she currently works - she may be able to change her days to suit this though. She wondered if I could find a childminder who would be prepared to take the children to the nursery but I don't think this would work as not many would be prepared to do it. She also has thought of her mum looking after them in the morning and she would take them to the nursery although is doubtful whether she would continue to get tax credits. My feeling is that she might eventually get a full time place in the nursery so would run with it and surely being in a registered nursery would still be entitled to get her tax credit.

I am hoping that this nursery will take the twins fairly quickly as want to devote myself to new job and have time to put my ideas into action. The playgroup opens to the children on 1 November so really would need time to set the actual playgroup and put together policies and procedures etc.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to give her the date you are stopping and then let her get on with it. She sounds like she will have you doing everything for her to find more care. At the end of day you can help her but its not up to you to find someone that will have them. Dont let her make you feel guilty hun!!
    what doesnt kill me makes me stronger!

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LisaMcNally09 View Post
    I think you need to give her the date you are stopping and then let her get on with it. She sounds like she will have you doing everything for her to find more care. At the end of day you can help her but its not up to you to find someone that will have them. Dont let her make you feel guilty hun!!
    Totally agree with this, congratulations on the job aswell. What a great posistion, let us know how it all go's!

June 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

congratulations hun, u are doing what is right for your family, she will have to sort out her own arrangements as already said she could have come in next wk nd gave u notice,

enjoy ur new job
    Michelle x:current loss to date - 100lb clapping:

Nov02
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to update this thread. I am in Northern Ireland so we are governed not by Ofsted but by our local Health Care Trust.

The letter of offer I received from the playgroup was conditional on vetting, criminal checks, references, medical checks and a Fit Assessment interview conducted by the Health Trust.

I was able to give notice to my mindees parents who organised care with another local childminder and a private nursery and they finished last night.

I received a letter asking me to attend the Fit Assessment interview on Wednesday last, nearly 5 weeks from the date of the first interview. Nothing could have prepared me for this interview and it left me humiliated, emotionally upset, distressed and not sure if I even have a job offer now.

The interview lasted 1 1/2 hours and consisted of questions about my existing experience, the new playgroup and its policies and procedures, caring for children, approach to parents etc.

I felt that I answered the questions to the best of my ability but was constantly prodded by the interviewer with the words "I don't think you fully understand the question or have answered the question sufficiently" "would you like to add anything to that answer" "you might like to consider" "you need to really think about that question more full" etc.

To say the whole experience was horrific is an understatement and even now 2 days later I am totally shell shocked.

I am left in a real quandary as I have given up my mindees, do not know whether I will have a new job or when the new job will start.

I was given the impression at the interview that the Care Trust will have the ultimate say in the regulation, setting up and employees of the playgroup. I was told at the end that "you have demonstrated a knowledge of care of children through your childminding experience" - just felt there was a little but below the surface though! The interviewer reiterated that this was a conditional letter of offer - was there a hint that I was totally unsuitable and the Trust could determine my future for this job?

I contacted my prospective new employers asking if there was any indication of a start date and the reply came back that the person in the Trust was now on leave until 8/11, there was a panel meeting to decide all matters relating to the playgroup to be held by the Trust at the end of November but there was no guarantee that it would be discussed at this meeting.

I am in a no win situation as cannot move forward or back but rather have to wait and see. I suppose I could fall back on childminding but at present cannot take on new children as it may be temporary!!

Post Thanks / Like

What an awful situation to find yourself in - it's a pity they didn't make clear to you all the protocol they had to go through before you gave notice to your mindees.

The interview sounds dreadful - no wonder you're shell shocked. I just hope it all gets sorted the way you want it to.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov02
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Felt like informing the playgroup I was not going to take up the offer but then hubby said "would that not feel like you are giving in to the pressure of the interviewer as she is maybe taking out on you her grievances with the playgroup in not playing things the way she wants them?"

I knew at the initial interview that this second interview would have to take place but I had no preparation for the questions being asked nor do I think the interviewer had any clear guidance as to the answers they were looking for - she was drawing on her own expert opinion.

My hubby cannot understand why the job was advertised in the first place with no registration completed and secondly why they were not present at the initial interview to see the applicants and be included with the decision making process.

I just do not know what power this Care Trust has in deciding who is employed by an individual group.

This interviewer was aware that I had no previous knowledge of playgroup workings and therefore would be unable to answer appropriately.

Going over and over it is no use and I think the best thing I can do is put it down to experience and move on - if only in January next year! Here's to 2 months without any income!

FEB 01
    Post Thanks / Like

FIRSTLY, you sound over qualified for the job, so HOLD your head high and if they dont grab you then its there loss.

You did what you thought was right, and I would have done the same, anyone would,

You did so much for the parent, some childminders wouldnt drop off anyone, I dont have a car so couldnt, im sure other minders are thinking that, the mum knew this and tried to keep you, if you dont get the job, i would let her know they didnt explaine things and you are available to mind her children half days, or advertise for new ones,
    anyway well done, and hope you get what you want.
    well done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast