Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas Opening Times

Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this to be honest. And I know I will be shot down in flames as it is only August .......... But has anyone thought about their festive opening times? I have been asked by one of my mindees parents to stay open on Christmas Eve & the days between Boxing Day & New Year.

Would any of you charge extra for this. I am willing to stay open until 13:00 Christmas Eve but no later

Scully x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Christmas Opening Times

I've already given my Christmas Holiday info out to parents. I am closed from the 23rd Dec and re-open on 4th Jan. I need some time out to spend just with my kids and family.

Personally I would say no to the parents but IF I did do it I would def be charging extra.

xxxxxx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm closed christmas eve and christmas day, open the rest inc new years day if needed
    IS BACK

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scully View Post
    Hi,

I'm not really sure where to post this to be honest. And I know I will be shot down in flames as it is only August .......... But has anyone thought about their festive opening times? I have been asked by one of my mindees parents to stay open on Christmas Eve & the days between Boxing Day & New Year.

Would any of you charge extra for this. I am willing to stay open until 13:00 Christmas Eve but no later

Scully x
    I will never as long as I live childmind on Christmas Eve again. I did it one year and hated, not being able to psych my own kids up and get organised for a massive family Christmas. I also take a week off after Christmas as I do every year.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about this too

This year Im thinking of being closed christmas eve and opening back up on the 4th Jan. (My 2yr old daughters bday on the 3rd.)

I just think I never have any time off, probably 2 weeks in the whole yr and thats including the christmas break! I have two young children of my own a soon to be 5yr old and a 2yr old and it will be nice to have some quality time with them!

If you do decide to open make sure you charge extra!

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

up until last yr i use to work right through xmas apart from xmas day boxing day and new yr day and charged normal rate through rest of hols but now i finish day before xmas day until after new yrs day and its so good to be off with my own 2 lo and thats the way it will stay lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My last working day is always 23rd Dec and I reopen on the first working day of the new year (2nd Jan onwards).

I now refuse to work between Christmas and New Year and all parents know this when they sign up to me - I found it got very 'here and there' when I did work it so I would be doing everything and just having a child an odd day which I didnt enjoy and wanted to be with my own family. I did once agree to have one child... but then they were ill so I didnt have them either

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year I worked through the season... except for the week btwn Christmas and NY. This year I'll be in SA for a month over Christmas so I'll be c.l.o.s.e.d.
    Jen

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twinkletime View Post
    I have been thinking about this too

This year Im thinking of being closed christmas eve and opening back up on the 4th Jan. (My 2yr old daughters bday on the 3rd.)

timeve anyI just think I never ha off, probably 2 weeks in the whole yr and thats including the christmas break! I have two young children of my own a soon to be 5yr old and a 2yr old and it will be nice to have some quality time with them!

If you do decide to open make sure you charge extra!

Why? You should have written into your contracts that you have a min of 4 weeks off a year and don't feel in the slightest guilty. The min holiday an employed person has is 25 days a year. As a childminder you work physically hard and the job is mentally demanding. You, like your parents need time off and time with your family to wind down and re-charge your batteries.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scully View Post
    Hi,

Scully x

When my children were little I always had the time off between Christmas and New Year. They are now 15 and 17 and for the last 10 years I have offered parents the option to use me between Christmas and New Year because I remember when I was working I liked to go in at this time because it is often quiet and I could catch up on work.

I don't charge any extra because it is normal work time, I only charge more if they want me to work a Bank holiday.

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely never work between Christmas and new year, and as I havent had a summer holiday this year I will be finishing the same day as the schools (19th ) and back on 2nd. It's so nice to have all my decorations and Christmassy bits and pieces out knowing the place wont be trashed. I'll do lots of Christmasssy things with the children leading up to the break, but then its my time. We really need it. I also found that when my own children were younger I didnt want them to have to take all their new toys up to their bedroom so soon after Christmas.
    Julie X X

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

just asked hubby his thoughts for xmas as i need to decide closing times and his reply was.....christmas has been cancelled its too expensive

xx
    Jennie x x

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what to do. I am closed from the 24th, I don't work Fridays anyway. I wont work the 27th or the 28th, but am not sure whether to go back on the Wed, or to take Wed and Thurs off, and open on the following Tues.
    I am tempted to take the whole week off. I have young children, I just worry about losing money.
    Hmmmm?????

sep 90
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have young children then I would without question have Christmas to after New Year off - I dont have little kids and I dont work it, never ever have and have already made it clear to everyone that I do not work.
    Sometimes you have to put money aside and have family time and your home to yourself for once

The more people I meet the more I love my dog

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I take 2 weeks in august and 2 weeks at christmas to coincide with school hols. I explain this at the start and write it into my contracts so there are no misunderstandings, I also put that any change to this will be confirmed in writing with notice given.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that Monday 27th counts as a bank holiday this year, in lieu of Boxing day. (Eg boxing day is usually a bank hol but as it's on a Sunday the bank hol is moved forward a day.)
    My partner has to work up until Xmas eve (only half day) so i'll probably make the 23rd Dec my last day. Then ideally open again on 3rd Jan- think i'll see what the chances are of parents needing me in between. Don't think i mind working one day.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will close from Christmas Even to the start of the January term.

I recently confirmed with parents that I would not be working Christmas Eve and they were quite happy with that.

I think you are absolutely right to consider it in advance then everyone knows where they stand

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We are having 2 full weeks this year, so finish on the friday before and don't start again until 4th Jan

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year i worked it all, as two of the parents are nurses. i even worked nyd , this year i am going to take a week off i think as i need some quality time off with my daughter

I will be doing a newsletter in september when they all start back x

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I never work inbetween Christmas and New Year. I don't work Fridays so will be off on Christmas Eve anyway I will start back on the 3rd Jan

I don't have a summer hol so need a break by Christmas and will have family staying too
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast