Advice needed on letting someone go
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice needed on letting someone go

Hi, I currently (for the last year) look after 2 girls (sisters) on a mon - wed afternoon from school till 6.30pm, I have 2 kids of my own under 5.

I have been asked to have 3 kids from Oct on a mon - weds 9am - 5pm, 1 all day and 2 after school all siblings, I have requested a varriation for the afternoons etc.

But in order to take on the new family of 3 I have to let go of the 2 girls as you cannot have 7 children under 8 (the oldest is 6) so the questoin is,.. how on earth do I tell them I can't have them from October? What do I say? I want to end the contract on the best terms possible but I will be getting more money and I will be finishing at 5pm and doing no dinners etc. its a perfect senario for me but I dont want to let the other family down they may think I am out of order as I was looking after their girls 1st? what do you think?

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice needed on letting someone go

this is a hard one. Can you not get a variation to have 7 or is this not an option.

I was going to say you could say you're not doing schoolies anymore but it's likely the original mum will work out you've replaced her 2 with a 2 more schoolies. I understand why you are doing it, to take on the full=timer but I would hesitate myself to do this.

Could you not take on full-timer and ask mum if these new siblings could go to after school club whilst you apply for a variation to increase your 5-8's numbers or do you not want to?

I am assuming that you would have 4 over 5's, the new mindee and your own two as your 3 under 5's?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There isn't really a nice way to end it especially if you are on good terms. Think Mum will be upset whatever you say.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    Can you not get a variation to have 7
    Ofsted will not allow you to look after more than 6 children under 8, so no that's not an option.

I can't see that you will be able to end this on friendly terms - I expect the mum who's being given notice will be very upset.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

ok so no one thinks this will end well! I have to do this as its double the money and earlier finish which benifits my family a lot and my family comes before my work, to be honest I am finding half 6 far too late for us anyway, do you think I should be honest then and say this is the reasons ? I suppose I will have to wont i ....

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

just tell her the truth, no easy way round it really, be honest and hope she sees you have no choice.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    ok so no one thinks this will end well! I have to do this as its double the money and earlier finish which benifits my family a lot and my family comes before my work, to be honest I am finding half 6 far too late for us anyway, do you think I should be honest then and say this is the reasons ? I suppose I will have to wont i ....
    I would not mention a new family but say that due to a detrimental effect on your own family you have to have any earlier finish so will have to let them go. You then run the risk that she might agree to an early finish and you might be stuck with them though. You would have to weigh up the chances of this happening??
    Good Luck

xxxxx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

just say

due to personal reasons, if she asks say you'd rather not discuss it as it is quite private (finanaces are )
    IS BACK

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

what about this "now that i am working more and more I have decided to shorten my opening times to 9am to 5pm as early starts and late finishes is leaving me little time to spend with my family, I have decided not to do this until October to give as much notice as possible as I realise you may want to seek alternative childcare"? what else should i say?