NVQ....was it hard ?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    nov 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NVQ....was it hard ?

We haven't done the NVQ 3 yet down this end, but been told by 2012 it all has to be done.

Some childminders here are saying they will not do it.

Just wondering by all your comments..... is it really as hard as you all say, how long has it taken to complete and what dose it in-tail .

x x

jun 79
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstandingb
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NVQ....was it hard ?

I started to do mine back in April , and now all funding for NVQs across the board has been withdrawn !!!! ( obviously just in this area?) so unless i want to pay £650 to continue i have to wait until Sept to see if funding is avaiable for the new one that is replacing NVQ.

Its not something i really wanted to do to be honest , after 30 yr childminding its not going to be of use to further my career, but i now cannot do sponsored childcare for SS unless i have this qualifcation and as really enjoy that side of my work and have no plans to retire yet !!!!!! i decided to go for it . I will admit i was finding it difficult in places ,but don't think it was the right time fo me to start as i have health problems at the moment and the stress was not good .

There is a lot of helpful info on here (and other sites,) i have to say a big thank you to several ladies on here who were really kind and generous with their help . I can't really help you with your other questions as i did not get far .
    I'm sure you will be fine , Good Luck
    Sue x

Post Thanks / Like

I did my NVQ3 a few years ago and from my experience and reading what others have put on here I think a lot depends on how good your assessor is. Mine wasn't that good and I felt I had to do too much written work when a lot of things could have been covered by observations had the assessor had the time to come out and see what I was doing.

I found it more frustrating than anything but you do have to give up some time to get through it.

I was lucky mine was fully funded - I couldn't have afforded to pay for it myself

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I did my NVQ3 a few years ago and from my experience and reading what others have put on here I think a lot depends on how good your assessor is. Mine wasn't that good and I felt I had to do too much written work when a lot of things could have been covered by observations had the assessor had the time to come out and see what I was doing.

I found it more frustrating than anything but you do have to give up some time to get through it.

I was lucky mine was fully funded - I couldn't have afforded to pay for it myself

Miffy xx
    I agree! Luckily my assessor was fab. Wherever possible she would take my evidence from my policies and procedures, observations and professional questions. I hardly had to write anything. She came out to see me as often as I wanted and it was all done in about 8 months. I was happy at the time with not having to write much but looking back having to do a few essays may have prepared me a little better for degree level academic writing. Which was a huge shock

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I did mine a few years ago, I had to pay for it myself and it was a lot of money.

At the time it was a 2yr course and I completed in 17mths.

It varies from person to person on how difficult you find it.

I found the first few months hard, mainly because I wasn't sure how much information was required -dont go into reams of explainations or it wont get read, I wasn't sure how to log - that took a bit to get my head round.

We didn't have mentors then but I think most colleges have them now.

They do cater more for cm's now which is good.

I did find that once I'd completed my nvq other courses were a doddle.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Blue Boy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post

Miffy xx
    Totally agree. We finnished our NVQ in May having started it in Sept 2008. From what others on the forum have said we appeared to have to do a lot more written work.

April04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a fantastic assessor too so the written work was kept to a minimum Most of the evidence was found through observations, my paperwork and professional discussions. I completed mine in 5 months and it was (fortunately) fully funded: I actually quite enjoyed doing it too!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was lucky too-my assesor was FAB! I managed to do alot of it verbally(she had a voice recorder on her laptop) and much of it was thru obsevations and looking at the paperwork i had. She then linked quite a bit of what we covered to more than one area in the NVQ so I did not have to repeat things. Some of it was hard but if you can find a C/M buddy thats doing it too then maybe you can help each other? I finished mine in less than 18m.

Ali x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nannysue View Post
    I started to do mine back in April , and now all funding for NVQs across the board has been withdrawn !!!! ( obviously just in this area?) so unless i want to pay £650 to continue i have to wait until Sept to see if funding is avaiable for the new one that is replacing NVQ.

Its not something i really wanted to do to be honest , after 30 yr childminding its not going to be of use to further my career, but i now cannot do sponsored childcare for SS unless i have this qualifcation and as really enjoy that side of my work and have no plans to retire yet !!!!!! i decided to go for it . I will admit i was finding it difficult in places ,but don't think it was the right time fo me to start as i have health problems at the moment and the stress was not good .

There is a lot of helpful info on here (and other sites,) i have to say a big thank you to several ladies on here who were really kind and generous with their help . I can't really help you with your other questions as i did not get far .
    I'm sure you will be fine , Good Luck
    that's awful nanny, they should at least honour the funding for those who have started!

june 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive just done mine, i got 80 % funding for it, it took me 6 months to complete it and i found it quite easy.

I got my certificate today