Do you leave mindees in the car?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you leave mindees in the car?

I'm just wondering, this will never be an issue for me probably, since I live next door to the school and can't drive. But living here I see all the kids being dropped off and picked up and have noticed 2 of the other childminders regularly leave one or two kids in the car while they go in to drop off or pick up. This seems a bit odd to, I could sort of understand if it was pouring with rain but they seem to do it regardless of weather. Yesterday one got out the car with the 2 mindees she drops at preschool and left another about the same age, so about 3/4yr sitting in the car. We have to take them into preschool, change their shoes and then take them to their room so it takes a few mins not just a case of dropping them at the door, just seems odd to me and I wondered what everyone else done.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you leave mindees in the car?

NEVER NEVER NEVER!

I know someone who got in trouble with ofsted for just that.
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt do it, not even with my own son. I can see how it would be easier than getting them all out but its certainly not safe!
    The only time it happens is when im putting them in the car- the car is on the driveway and the LOs are in the hallway, and i can obviously only carry one to the car at a time. But i am literally a few metres away. Same when im moving them out of the car and in to the house- i pop one on the floor in the hallway and go back for the next.

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I do but it I arrive at the school 20 minutes before pick up so that I can park right opposite the gates. The only parking at the school is on the opposite side of the road and traffic is really bad at that time of day. I literally get out of the car as the children come out of school and I leave the two babies strapped in the car. I only go as far as the gate across the road so I can see the babies at all times. It is far safer than trying to get across the road with two lo's in my arms and a 4 yr old tagging along with all his bags etc. Mums are aware and are happy too. If I only have 1 baby I get her out. Its all about risk assesment really. I am only about 10 feet away from them at all times. And I have discussed this with my inspector too, and we went into what I would do if I had to go further etc. In that case I would go back for the babies. I have to take the car even though the school is just around the corner because I have another pick up 2 miles away.
    Last edited by brightstar; 09-06-2010 at 10:30 AM.

~Chelle~ Guest

I wouldnt leave my own kids in the car, never mind anyone elses!

I would either confront them and tell them that they are not allowed to leave children unattended in the car or if you dont feel that you could approach them then I would report them to Ofsted.

Anything could happen to them, it doesnt bear thinking about

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
    I do but it I arrive at the school 20 minutes before pick up so that I can park right opposite the gates. The only parking at the school is on the opposite side of the road and traffic is really bad at that time of day. I literally get out of the car as the children come out of school and I leave the two babies strapped in the car. I only go as far as the gate across the road so I can see the babies at all times. It is far safer than trying to get across the road with two lo's in my arms and a 4 yr old tagging along with all his bags etc. Mums are aware and are happy too. If I only have 1 baby I get her out. Its all about risk assesment really. I have to take the car even though the school is just around the corner because I have another pick up 2 miles away.
    If you get out of the car and get run over, how are people to know that you have children in your car??

I am sorry but I would get them out, put them into a double buggy. You said that you get to the school 20 minutes early so there is no excuse really is there??

You said that it is all about "risk assement" obviously you havent thought about the other risks involved. What if another car crashed into your car?? Doesnt bear thinking about does it?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Chelle~ View Post
    If you get out of the car and get run over, how are people to know that you have children in your car??

I am sorry but I would get them out, put them into a double buggy. You said that you get to the school 20 minutes early so there is no excuse really is there??

You said that it is all about "risk assement" obviously you havent thought about the other risks involved. What if another car crashed into your car?? Doesnt bear thinking about does it?
    I agree with the above. It is an absolute NO NO. It might even invalidate your insurance if something happened and you were over the road.

I go to a Pre-School, in fact I am just about to go. I will park on the road opposite the entrance where I can see the car and with windows left open, hear the los. I never leave them in the car, I always get them out rain, shine or snow and take them with me. Several of us reported a local childminder who left children in the car at school pick up to Ofsted. Ofsted investigated and she doesn't do it any more.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

You should never leave a minded child in a car, even at a petrol forecourt as anyway you should not get petrol whilst minding and should get it the evening before if possible.
    One parent at the school leaves her 2yr old in the car for ages (up to half an hour) but always takes her baby out.
    The boy in the car gets up to alsorts as although he is strapped in, she gives him food and a can of red bull (no kidding), to keep him quiet and he does so enjoy, pushing bits of food down the window gap in the door and pouring the drink in as well
    Well if you don't keep an eye on them, they will get into trouble.
    It's in a large car park where everyone is squashed in, so no moving cars to hit, but even so.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Chelle~ View Post
    My car is sign written and I have many friends at the school. I am just as likely to get run over with the lo's in my arms as i am on my own. And I'd rather it was just me injured!

There are cars parked in front of and behind mine ( i am never first there), so the risk is low. Unless you know the whole set up its unfair to criticise. I have thought about the risks and discussed them with my CSSIW inspector and the parents. My car is sign written and I have many friends at the school. I am just as likely to get run over with the lo's in my arms as i am on my own. And I'd rather it was just me injured!

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheeky monkey, I can see what you're saying and I tend to think since you can see them it's not so bad, obviously you've discussed it with the parents etc. You say you get there 20mins early, is this quite common too? I've noticed this here sometimes and find it odd, do parents not mind there children being in the car for longer than necessary?

Here the childminder in question parks outside my house (which is double yellows but that's another grumble lol), I think I might understand more if it was a baby who was sleeping but the child is at least 3, in a high back booster so not like a lot of trouble to get them out.

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
    There are cars parked in front of and behind mine ( i am never first there), so the risk is low. Unless you know the whole set up its unfair to criticise. I have thought about the risks and discussed them with my CSSIW inspector and the parents. My car is sign written and I have many friends at the school. I am just as likely to get run over with the lo's in my arms as i am on my own. And I'd rather it was just me injured!
    Anything can happen, you have NO control over other cars, whether cars are parked in front of you or not. A car can crash in other vehicles which can then, in turn, crash into your car.

My friend had just gotten out of her car in a car park and put her daughter in her buggy. As she was walking away from her car another car crashed into it with such force that her car was sandwiched in between two cars and was written off. She has always said how lucky she feels that they were not in the car at the time as her daughters seat was crushed!

I would love to see you try and explain this to an Ofsted Inspector, they will tell you that there is NO excuse about leaving children in cars unattended!

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it with my own or minded kid's - a locked car with security measures can be broken into, started & driven away in 10-30 seconds depending on which measures /make / model of car & it happens with kids in the back - far more than people realise. If the OP is in England than i would report to OFSTED. As far as anywhere else goes I am unsure of the rules - but as I said if it were me (regardless of the conuntry I lived I wouldn't for reasons previously stated).
    Blaze x

Post Thanks / Like

A while ago i read a story in a newspaper about a woman who left her baby in the car whilst she went to collect her daughter from the school.

She said she was only gone 5 minutes but when she returned her car was gone and obviously so was the baby.

The car was later found with the baby dead inside it was a roasting hot day and all the windows were shut when they found the car.

I would never leave a child in a car by themselves. Even when i get petrol if i cant pay at the pump i take my son out and take him with me to pay.

Sept 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

a big no no ,i wouldnt leave my dog in the car never mind a child regardless of whether you can get permission from parent,if you cant manage getting out of car in all weathers you shouldnt be looking after so many children or walking,this is something i have and would again report a childminder to ofsted and police for ,its a huge safety issue,i wouldnt like being locked in car and left.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I was wondering this as I drop my LO off at nursery and have a baby and my DS who's 9 with me also. I park about 2metres alongside the door of the nursery so I can see straight through the glass in the door to my car through the car window IYSWIM I then take my daughter through the door hang bag up, kiss bye and then straight back out (a minute and half at very most).

What do you think?

I am never more than 3metres away from the car but would never do it if I couldn't see the LO's. Don't suppose OFSTED would like this either would they?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clio0602 View Post
    Hi I was wondering this as I drop my LO off at nursery and have a baby and my DS who's 9 with me also. I park about 2metres alongside the door of the nursery so I can see straight through the glass in the door to my car through the car window IYSWIM I then take my daughter through the door hang bag up, kiss bye and then straight back out (a minute and half at very most).

What do you think?

I am never more than 3metres away from the car but would never do it if I couldn't see the LO's. Don't suppose OFSTED would like this either would they?
    Short answer is no, Ofsted wouldn't like it and you could quite easily be reported for it.

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clio0602 View Post

What do you think?

they were a little hazy on this as i asked them years ago about this very same thing

i used to take a boy to nursery and had 3 other little ones, i parked outside the gates and ran him in and asked ofsted if it was ok as i could see them at all time, the inspector ummed and aahed and in the end said prob not in case the car ignited ( i have been drinving for 25 years and this has never happened but i see her point) it may be worth asking but to be honest i think the rules are that we DO NOT leave children in the car unattended ever

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

that is really shocking. What if the child got out of the car themselve and walked into the road. No, no, no

I'd have a quiet word and if they keep doing it I'd report them.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    i used to take a boy to nursery and had 3 other little ones, i parked outside the gates and ran him in and asked ofsted if it was ok as i could see them at all time, the inspector ummed and aahed and in the end said prob not in case the car ignited ( i have been drinving for 25 years and this has never happened but i see her point) i
    Our car did catch fire whilst driving along at night down a country lane, it was extremely frightening especially as my DD (13 at the time) went running off with our baby in her arms in panic

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is their own children then it is okay but if children of childminders then a definate NO - against Ofsted Safeguarding Children rules
    Debbie

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast