Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tandem Bathing

Registered Childminder since
    June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tandem Bathing

I provided respite care for a child who was on the at risk register some of it was overnight and I used to bath her and Social Services were more than happy with that they knw everything I did with that child I would tell them over the phone and then would send a written report - so if it fine for such a child why is it not fine for us to bath a child from a stable, happy home if necessary - not sure about bathing children from different families naked or having them running around the gaden naked as you don't know who could be looking out their windows at them when in the garden and when no witnesses around it can leave you wide open to all sorts of allegations and complaints - I'd keep their pants/nappies on too - I think its sad that we have to think this way though
    Celest

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't bath mindees at all. I also don't have paddling pools because I just think it's safer not too.
    BUT.................................I've just read this thread and a thought occured to me. If a parent is leaving their child in your care for 10 hours a day, anything could happen during that time couldn't it? If you think about this logically, you are no more leaving yourself open to allegations by bathing/washing the children than if you are changing nappies are you?
    I've just become sooo paranoid doing this job and tie myself up in knots everyday.
    I was at the children's centre yesterday and the lady who runs it has just re vamped the garden. It' wonderful, brilliant for the children with loads of great resources. She's made a lovely sensory garden but was stressing that she hadn't put non slip stuff on the little bridge.
    I pointed out that anything could happen at any time, the children could put stones in their mouths,they could fall down the hill. You could go on for ever.
    I have decided that I'm going to try not to stress about the whole safeguarding thing soooooo much as it's driving me barmy.
    If we carry on like this,there will come a time when we are calling the parents to clean/change their children. It has to stop somewhere.

Oct 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Tandem Bathing

I have signed permission from all the parents to bath children in the event of bad nappies or muddy play. I have bathed them together with no clothes on, twice, I think. OFSTED was happy with the signed permission.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amandavin View Post
    I have signed permission from all the parents to bath children in the event of bad nappies or muddy play. I have bathed them together with no clothes on, twice, I think. OFSTED was happy with the signed permission.
    I also have it in my permissions, I had to do one LO a long time ago as he had a rather bad nappy and it was everywhere. his mum was fine with it. If it had been my child I would have been happy that he was clean and comfy.

I just feel things have got totally out of hand, although do understand that we have to protect ourselves. Its just a shame that society as a whole have made us be so wary of doing something so normal such as bathing a messy child

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

When 'THEY' say I have to wear a mask over my eyes to change a nappy then I am definitely giving up!!
    it is so sad that we have to 'protect' ourselves from allegations..... what a world we have made.....

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Am worried by this thread as I do bath a 12 month old mindee (on request of parents) I have as I have him for very long hours and get him ready for bed for mum. As someone said above, what difference is it to changing nappies - I have him for 12 hours a day. What do people who provide overnight care do, do they not bath children who have been wearing nappies all day before they put them to bed?

Does anyone know if Ofsted issue guidelines that we shouldn't bath children?

Apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for all your replies on this subject. I too am very sad that the world has got to this state where a carer has to choose wipes over a good old bath to protect yourself and the child. But hey ho!

I have been doing a little bit of 'asking' regarding whether you can bath or not bath.

I think bathing mindees 'together' is out of the question, for all the right reasons you all have suggested above.

I also agree that if it is not an emergency you should just wipe up as best you can. But on those days when the mud has got the better of them, or the paint pot found its way over their head or their poo decided to venture all the way up their back, this is what Ofsted have said....

I am replying to your email about whether you can bath minded children.

There is nothing in the EYFS to prevent you from bathing children, in
    the same way that you would provide intimate and personal care for any
    child in your care, if required.
    You need to conduct a risk assessment, ensure parents are aware and are
    happy for you to bathe their child and under what circumstances you
    would do this. Written parental permission would cover this.

I hope this answers your query. Please do not hesitate to contact the
    help desk again if you require any further information.

Maureen

Maureen Sinclair
    Quality Assurance Manager
    Quality Assurance National Team
    On behalf of Ann Tallboys HMI
    Divisional Manager

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I had my pre-reg visit, I asked to have my upstairs bathroom registered. One to allow older mindees who were upstairs to use the toilet in there but also to wash down mindees if they had been terribly sick/had diarrhoea everywhere etc. My inspector said that should be ok but to phone parents first to check.

I dont think bathing them poses any more risk of safeguarding issues than nappy changing etc.
    Helen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12