What would you charge
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you charge

Hi, I will be picking up 2 children from school monday to friday. They finish school at 3pm and their mum will collect them at 3.45pm. What would you charge a day.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

sept 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would you charge

I would charge what I normally charge for a school pick up. They are taking up two places. I would point out to the parent that they have until your finish time to pick up their children, you wont feel too guilty then

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on ages, if they are over 8 I wouldn't be too worried but if they are taking up spaces for 2 longer stopping children I would have to think very hard about what to charge.

Do you have a minimum charge? If so stick to it. I had a £10 minimum charge per session, you could charge £10/£15 for both for the hour but if they are under 8 they will really take up places, unless they are just a bonus ontop of your day time lo's.
    Come back David....

Pipsqueak Guest

I charge a minimum of 2hrs per day and my schoolies charges are £4.50ph (and thats about average for my area).
    My schools i actually have in my care for total of 1hr per day but I collect from home - school...... school - home

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: What would you charge

Hmmm... tricky one.
    Do you know what is usual for childminders in your area?

I have one little boy after school mon to fri, till anytime between 4 and 6 and some weeks with morning drop off, but other weeks without. I came to an agreement with parents where I charge for 16 hours a week (this is the maximum they need from a potential 25) whether they use them up or not but reduced the hourly rate by 50p to ease the blow a bit. I find most parents do find it quite hard to see they are taking up a potential space and only want to pay for actual time used: minutes in some cases, lol.

I also have a minimum of 6 hours for after schoolers usually but recently relaxed this for a particularly nice parent who just needs 2 hours a week. I charged her £6 per drop off/collection rather than my usual hourly rate of £3.75.
    She was happy with this and would probably have paid the 6 hours amount but I didn't ask for it as I'm doing ok at the moment, so not desperately needing to use the space he's infringeing on and the contract is only until May anyway.
    if its going to be long term, make sure you charge something you'll still be happy with further down the line...

good luck with it

bws,
    Wendy
    Last edited by Goatgirl; 03-02-2010 at 01:28 PM.

TheBTeam Guest

I have just started two for an hour in the morning and i charge them £6 and drop them to school, they have breakfast before they come.