Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New mindee still screaming. Help!

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my new mindee who screamed all day.

Well I have had the baby 5 times since then and have had screaming all day. I have tried musical instruments, pots and pans with wooden spoons, lots of cuddles but nothing works. I have had to be cruel to be kind today and put baby in the cot to scream as it is upsetting my other 2 mindees.

Baby is still being breast fed by mum and I do feel sorry for her as she is obviously really missing mum. However the screaming is now a temper scream and it gets worse when she is put down. I can't hold her all day. Do you think I'm being mean putting her in the cot for a while? if I don't I have 3screaming children to deal with. It was so bad yesterday I had to resort to a glass of wine when all the kids have gone!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New mindee still screaming. Help!

I really feel for you

I have a screamer that still screams after 3 years - and I am not kidding

Does the child have brothers / sisters or an only child ?

Depends also what the parents do at home - they could be making your job harder if they pick the baby up all the time
    Does baby stop crying when picked up ?

I do not think it will hurt baby to cry for a bit when you are doing other things but sometimes that can be really stressful for you and the kids to hear the crying - it goes on and on dont you think ?

I think you need to work together with the parents ask what they do at home
    Is baby like it at home or just with you?
    Depends on how much they want to support you it could go a long way in helping you though

If though you try everything and you are still struggling with this then you have to think of your own family and your own sanity - you might have to give notice in the end?

Let us know how it goes

Good luck

Angel xx

Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Angel. She is an only child and mum is very young. I don't think she has been away from mum much. She is nearly 10 months old which I think is a clingy age for some children.

Amazingly I can shut off from the screaming when it is not in the same room, I'm just wondering what the neighbours will be thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
    Thanks Angel. She is an only child and mum is very young. I don't think she has been away from mum much. She is nearly 10 months old which I think is a clingy age for some children.

Amazingly I can shut off from the screaming when it is not in the same room, I'm just wondering what the neighbours will be thinking.
    Ask the neighbours to come and help

Maybe you can point mom in the right direction in a gentle sort of way and ask her to start leaving the baby for short periods if she is crying at home

You need to work together for it to have any affect on the baby really

Good luck

xxx

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twiggy View Post

I'm having exactly the same problem. Have had new mindee for 5 weeks now 4 days a week; lo is 8months and screams constantly; can't leave the room without her screaming or even make one step away from her (it's that bad that even if the cat leaves the room she screams!). Lo shows no interest in toys (I have to sit on the floor with her at all times as she cries - I say 'cry', there are no tears it's all in temper). Affecting my other mindee who says he 'hates it' when lo here I've spoken to mum but she says lo will 'get better evenutally' which I don't doubt but it does wear you down!