Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Selective Mutism Documentary

Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    I have a lot of the Tory Hayden books - really interesting and inspirational - what a woman!
    I agree!

I've read all of Torey Hayden's books, although my favourites have to be Ghost Girl and Silent Boy, I actually cried reading these.

July 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarpleJollytots View Post
    When i was doing my NNEB a girl in my class had this problem,after a couple of weeks she really took to me,i had bumped into her in a bakers shop one saturday when she was with her Gran,i had just bought myself a Ginger bread man and i got her one too.As i gave it too her i did a funny voice as if the Ginger bread man was talking and this big grin appeared on her face.I wasnt in school that week after that i was back at college,but mum had told school she had been telling her dolly all about the talking Ginger bread man that week.(She always spoke to Dolly but only if she thought no one was listening)When i found out on return to school myself and the teacher went out at lunch time and bought a big box of mini Ginger bread men.For the next two weeks i would take her to do some one to one reading in another class ,i never spoke to her during that time the ginger bread man did !!!!On my last day of placement i did reading with her and Ginger bread man exsplained i was going back to college and then to work in another school.Walking back to the class she just looked up at me and said "Can i keep the Ginger bread men "? (We had an endless supply of them in the class)I went back to the class in tears trying not to let her see,i told the teacher and she burst into tears.She never spoke again after that for a long time, tho i still went up to the school on a monday morning as i wasnt in college on Mondays.She didnt start talking untill year 2 at school.I still think about her all the time.
    Thats a lovely story, gave me goosebumps.
    I have read all the Tory Hayden Books they are great. I was physically and mentally abused by my parents as a child and this caused me not to speak to anyone except my brother (Dont think my parents ever noticed! )

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Selective Mutism Documentary ***BREAKTHROUGH!***

Sorry - Just have to share with you all ... it may seem really trivial to those who don't understand but ...

My sons teacher is in contact with myself and my son who is 7 via email. Somedays my son will ask to email the teacher, just to let her know that he's read his reading book to me. Well after watching the Documentary that was on a few weeks ago, he asked me today if he could call her mobile and leave a message. So I pre-warned her via sms and then we called ..... I was almost in tears at the end. I then received a text from her saying that she was almost in tears and she was delighted that he had done it. She has since emailed my son, saying that she was delighted with the message, and as she is off with an injury can he let her know how a certain class goes tomorrow. My son turned round to me and said can I call her and leave a message on her mobile tomorrow to tell her ...... I am so hoping that from this we will get the breakthrough we are after. What do you think?

Dread to think what we will be like when and if he does actually talk to her ... think she'll call me in tears!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Thats great. Let us know how it goes. I was in tears watching the documentary. I have also read Torey Haydens books and have found them very interesting.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

i've just cried reading about your son! well done him!

(hormones!!! )

july 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Selective Mutism Documentary ***BREAKTHROUGH!***

Quote Originally Posted by Carpet Monkeys View Post
    Sorry - Just have to share with you all ... it may seem really trivial to those who don't understand but ...

My sons teacher is in contact with myself and my son who is 7 via email. Somedays my son will ask to email the teacher, just to let her know that he's read his reading book to me. Well after watching the Documentary that was on a few weeks ago, he asked me today if he could call her mobile and leave a message. So I pre-warned her via sms and then we called ..... I was almost in tears at the end. I then received a text from her saying that she was almost in tears and she was delighted that he had done it. She has since emailed my son, saying that she was delighted with the message, and as she is off with an injury can he let her know how a certain class goes tomorrow. My son turned round to me and said can I call her and leave a message on her mobile tomorrow to tell her ...... I am so hoping that from this we will get the breakthrough we are after. What do you think?

Dread to think what we will be like when and if he does actually talk to her ... think she'll call me in tears!
    thats amazing

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

I read one of her books called One child made me cry lots
    One life live it

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kindertime View Post
    Thats a lovely story, gave me goosebumps.
    I have read all the Tory Hayden Books they are great. I was physically and mentally abused by my parents as a child and this caused me not to speak to anyone except my brother (Dont think my parents ever noticed! )
    oh hon, I never knew, that's dreadful

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    i've just cried reading about your son! well done him!

(hormones!!! )
    Bless you .... well he's done it again today, here's a tissue!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh bless him!

My son is having 'issues' at school too. He's a very emotional child anyway and acadmically very bright but socially he struggles at times. He's always been a confident boy but since school its slide right down. A teacher friend of mine has suggested giving him a book to write things down as he doesn't seem to want to tell anyone. I hope he doesn't develope this selective mutism as i bet it is so worrying.

Hugs to you both xxx

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Selective Mutism Documentary ** Another Update **

Well .....following on advice given to me by the speech therapist that appeared on the Selective Mutism documentary, myself and the teacher upped the anti a bit today. Having a whole week of him leaving jokes and chat about what happened that day at school on her voicemail we took it that one step further .... she listened to him reading his book to me on the phone just before he went to bed this evening. He was totally aware that she was on the end of the phone as I had discussed with him what was going to happen and at the end she spoke to him and said how proud she was of him and he was beaming! To celebrate myself, son and daughter all done the conga round the house!!

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i am crying for you here....well done all of you xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12