Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Collecting Minded Kids from School

OK, just a thought, can someone please clarify if this is permitted.

SCENARIO: DH (he is CRB checked) is on his way home from work and as he drives right past my kids school, he says will get our kids and minded kids and bring them home, while I stay at home with no other kids.

Another SCENARIO: It's raining (pelting it down), I'm at home with DH and say 2 minded kids, to save me getting them wet too, I leave DH with the 2 minded kids for about 15 mins while I nip round to the school to collect my kids and minded kids.

I just want to make it clear, that I'm not even registered yet, these are just scenarios that could potentially happen and I just want to get it clear in my head what I can and cannot do!

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Collecting Minded Kids from School

You cant do either of those. You can't leave DH in charge of the children unless he is your assistant (and meets the conditions) or registered in his own right

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

shes right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lkl_fawcett View Post
    OK, just a thought, can someone please clarify if this is permitted.

SCENARIO: DH (he is CRB checked) is on his way home from work and as he drives right past my kids school, he says will get our kids and minded kids and bring them home, while I stay at home with no other kids.

Another SCENARIO: It's raining (pelting it down), I'm at home with DH and say 2 minded kids, to save me getting them wet too, I leave DH with the 2 minded kids for about 15 mins while I nip round to the school to collect my kids and minded kids.

I just want to make it clear, that I'm not even registered yet, these are just scenarios that could potentially happen and I just want to get it clear in my head what I can and cannot do!
    SCENARIO 3 - buy some REALLY good waterproofs. splashsuits for the kids and def. something good for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    SCENARIO 3 - buy some REALLY good waterproofs. splashsuits for the kids and def. something good for you.
    or see about getting your hubby registered too!

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post

Great advice

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i was told by my do that hubby crb checked could have them up to 2 hrs .

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaytravis View Post
    i was told by my do that hubby crb checked could have them up to 2 hrs .
    If the children are contracted to you then you are ultimately responsible for them. It would affect your insurance and possibly your registration if Ofsted ever found out.

Its also a safeguarding issue - for the children AND for the adult - its about sensibly protecting everyone involved.

sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!
    Post Thanks / Like

you cant leave anyone with minded children unless they are registered, not even for a short amount of time

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

just to clarify that even if he is regeistered as your assistant you still cant leave children in his care without you being there unless he has a first aid certificate even if you have written permision. my friend has just had her inspection and her partner is registered and this is what she was told.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a cm ( not working anymore) that used to leave mindees with her hubbby - crb but not an assistant - to go and do her shopping!

she said that she had permission from the parents so it was ok.

Also i remember being told that it was ok to leave mindees with another person for up to half an hour. Im in Scotland maybe its different here.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    just to clarify that even if he is regeistered as your assistant you still cant leave children in his care without you being there unless he has a first aid certificate even if you have written permision. my friend has just had her inspection and her partner is registered and this is what she was told.
    What is the point of having an assistant then? obviously you can take on more kids but if the assistant isnt allowed to be on their own with the mindees does it not defeat the purpose?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little chickee View Post
    What is the point of having an assistant then? obviously you can take on more kids but if the assistant isnt allowed to be on their own with the mindees does it not defeat the purpose?
    You may be able to take on an extra child or two if you have an assistant - but there's really not much point in having one unless they do their first aid and can help out for school runs.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

But i thought they could not help on school runs because they cannot pick up or be left at home with mindees either.

Jan 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi this fact sheet http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home...nguage)/eng-GB covers what you need to know.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little chickee View Post
    this is what i thought when i heard, my partner was orginaly my assistant just so he could help out at home or sit in the garden with them whilst i was cooking dinner in the kitchen and whilst he could have done this with his crb check only i just wanted him to be offical, my son had a hosipital appointment couple of months ago and i possibly wasnt going to be back in time for the school run, the parent was happy for him to pick up child and signed a consent form, luckily i was back in time and so it didnt matter but like you i am now wondering whats the point.

sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So am i right in thinking that if your assistant is registered as your assistant and has done first aid course, you can leave children with them for a short amount of time eg school run, appointment . so long as you have parental permission.

If they havnt done first aid you cannot leave them at all???

Post Thanks / Like

. "If we agree, you can leave children in the early years age group alone with an assistant on the childminding premises, but we cannot allow this for children on the Childcare Register. You can only let the assistants care for the children on their own when they are off the premises and with older children."

So an assistant can be left alone with the children on the early years register in the house (with Ofsted permission), but has to leave the house to be on their own with older children? Typical Ofsted - ambiguous rubbish as always!!

to the op - my husband collects children from school sometimes when he is collecting our own two. They are over 8's though and would otherwise be walking to my house on their own. And I am always at home waiting for them.

JUN 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I are both registered childminders and work together. I am almost 15 weeks pregnant so I'm just thinking ahead to when I go on maternity leave but dh will still be minding. Can dh still leave a couple of the younger mindees with me (as I will still be registered and insured but on maternity leave) when he does the school run?
    Last edited by Sadie's Mum; 11-12-2009 at 11:58 AM.