What else do you include in your fees?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Registered Childminder since
    mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What else do you include in your fees?

    I just wondered what other childminders include in their hourly fee.

    I include:

    Nappies/Wipes
    All food and snacks including dinner
    Outings and toddler groups (unless the parent specifically wants me to take their child to somewhere like tumble tots where its paid termly for instance.

    Iam increasing my fees as from Jan as i realise my fee is actually quite cheap compare to others who charge an hourly fee and charge for meals and outings too on top.

    Thanks Ladies /Men for your input?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    far, far, away...
    Posts
    7,520
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammykins View Post
    I just wondered what other childminders include in their hourly fee.

    I include:

    Nappies/Wipes
    All food and snacks including dinner
    Outings and toddler groups (unless the parent specifically wants me to take their child to somewhere like tumble tots where its paid termly for instance.

    Iam increasing my fees as from Jan as i realise my fee is actually quite cheap compare to others who charge an hourly fee and charge for meals and outings too on top.

    Thanks Ladies /Men for your input?
    I don't include nappies/wipes - I ask parents to provide these - but I do keep spares & also have wipes for the setting in general IYSWIM.

    • I charge a fee for food & snacks - or parents can provide there own.
    • Toddler groups & outings I pay for & class as an expense - but for really big outings I ask parents to pay...say for example if I was travelling up to the London Aquarium.


    It's your business - you need to decide your charges, being careful not to out price yourself, whilst not under-pricing yourself either...it is a fine line.

    THT
    Blaze x

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    943
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    I don't include nappies wipes etc but do include food. I pay for toddler group (which I attend) but parents pay for pre school group if they want child to attend but I pick up drop off.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    12,122
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    I have never included nappies/wipes but am going to charge for food after xmas - I think!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    488
    Registered Childminder since
    June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    I don't include nappies, wipes, creams, I pay for toddler groups and claim on expenses, I include lunch and snacks, evening meal is £1.50 if needed.

    Straws xx

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In LaLa Land
    Posts
    3,598
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammykins View Post
    I just wondered what other childminders include in their hourly fee.

    I include:

    Nappies/Wipes
    All food and snacks including dinner
    Outings and toddler groups (unless the parent specifically wants me to take their child to somewhere like tumble tots where its paid termly for instance.

    Iam increasing my fees as from Jan as i realise my fee is actually quite cheap compare to others who charge an hourly fee and charge for meals and outings too on top.

    Thanks Ladies /Men for your input?
    Hi
    I'm the same as you. I include everything in my hourly rates. Meals, snacks, nappies, wipes, outings etc etc. All the parents have to bring each day is their child .
    I think my rates are OK, they are inline with others in the area and I'm happy with what I earn so I won't be changing them for a while yet.

    xxxxx

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,399
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    Hi
    I'm the same as you. I include everything in my hourly rates. Meals, snacks, nappies, wipes, outings etc etc. All the parents have to bring each day is their child .
    I think my rates are OK, they are inline with others in the area and I'm happy with what I earn so I won't be changing them for a while yet.

    xxxxx
    Me too. For full time kids I also just charge a daily rate, to make the maths at the end of the month easier.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Lanarkshire
    Posts
    1,829
    Registered Childminder since
    May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    I include all outings even bigger ones as it is up to me if I want to take them there or not and dont want to not be able to go if one set of parents doesnt want to go.

    I include snacks, breakfast if required (starting before 9am) and lunch.
    I charge extra for dinner

    I ask parents to provide formula milk should LO still need it and nappies and wipes

    I do have spare nappies and wipes as well though ...

    It is very hard for a new minder to charge the right amount and I alwasy get angry...some cm's get upset if you under-cut them or if you are new and still charge more than them...but hardly anyone is willing to share their fees so how exactly one can be in line with other local cm's is a mystery I still havent managed to solve. I know we all run our own business and can do what we want...but there should be still a better guide out there when you start up..I think anyways
    Nicole xx

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    805
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    I include everything except nappies, formula milk and baby food. When babies are weaning I get parents to send homemade baby foods or jars.
    I have always taken the stance that parents pay for me to care for their child in my home. If I choose to entertain their child by taking them elsewhere then I should not expect the parent to cough up any extra. However in the summer holidays when I've taken the big kids (over 8's) to theme parks etc my parents have usually offered to contribute (and I always manage to get 1/2 price entry anyway via some offer) and parents provide any 'spends' the children may need. Also when we go out in the hols and need a packed lunch I ask parents to make it, that way they can each carry their own rather than me making one big picnic hamper that I have to carry
    In cloud cuckoo land somewhere

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    520
    Non childminder member
    Ex Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    Breakfast, drinks and snacks are included. Any costs for outings (say to a toddler group) I would claim as an expense. I charge £1.50 for an evening meal (which would normally be something like meat and two veg).

    I don't supply nappies or wipes as standard (although I have wipes in the house for my own kids and for messy play etc) and baby food/milk for those under 1 I don't supply either.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In LaLa Land
    Posts
    3,598
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
    I include all outings even bigger ones as it is up to me if I want to take them there or not and dont want to not be able to go if one set of parents doesnt want to go.

    I include snacks, breakfast if required (starting before 9am) and lunch.
    I charge extra for dinner

    I ask parents to provide formula milk should LO still need it and nappies and wipes

    I do have spare nappies and wipes as well though ...

    It is very hard for a new minder to charge the right amount and I alwasy get angry...some cm's get upset if you under-cut them or if you are new and still charge more than them...but hardly anyone is willing to share their fees so how exactly one can be in line with other local cm's is a mystery I still havent managed to solve. I know we all run our own business and can do what we want...but there should be still a better guide out there when you start up..I think anyways
    The old FIS website was great as listed all the CM's and they usually put their hourly rates on there, this is where I got my info from before I actually started. Now though the DirectGov website is worse than useless at the moment so can't get any info from that at the mo Don't even think I'm listed or at least if I am it'll probably say I live 20 miles away from where I do!!!

    xxxx

    xxxx

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,052
    Registered Childminder since
    0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    I don't supply nappies, wipes or meals, I do supply snacks, but most parents when packing the packed lunch also add extra for snacks.
    I do pay toddler groups as taking 3 children only costs 2.50 out of my £12 per hour so can't complain really and the children centre is free.
    My only big expense which I don't charge for is petrol which probably costs me £20 a week going to the groups.
    I do have spare wipes in the house and just bought a 6 pack for £3 in boots on offer so that should last a while.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,102
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    I do charge for toddler groups atc. its only £2.50 but as ive only started part way through this year and so wont earn enough to pay tax it wouldnt benefit me to put it through as expenses. I dont include formula milk or nappies , but do include wipes etc. snacks and lunch are included but i wish i hadnt offered lunch and asked all parents to provide it. It really is a steep learning curve isnt it?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    98
    Registered Childminder since
    1996
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    Only my care is included in fee's, everything else is supplied by parents including pocket money for outings, my fees are in line with this area and my books full all parents happy with this.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    673
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 02
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    I ask parents to provide food/nappies/wipes for their child. I do pay for toddler groups and soft play and this is inline with most other childminders in my area.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,753
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrs c View Post
    I ask parents to provide food/nappies/wipes for their child. I do pay for toddler groups and soft play and this is inline with most other childminders in my area.
    I'm the same - except I will provide food if required at an extra cost. Prefer them to bring their own though and all but one do
    Cazz x

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    in pixie land mostly
    Posts
    1,599
    Registered Childminder since
    registe
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    The only thing included in my hourly rate is me

    By the time you take off all the odds and sods I cannot afford to include anything but my time

    As Blaze says, each to their own

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,653
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    me! and all my toys/resources/experience!

    all outings etc to toddler groups, soft play etc. i was going to charge for big trips in the holidays, but irather than ruin a whole planned day out, by one parent saying no, i have decided to include it! ( but may charge a little more for whole day care in holidays? haven't decided yet! )

    parents supply nappies & wipes, but i have plenty of spare nappies & wipes!

    i charge for meals. parents supply babies food/milk. i don't charge for snacks.

    x

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Registered Childminder since
    mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    ok thats good to know, thanks.

    I just wondered as alot of c/m in my area dont include nappies and wipes and charge for meals and outings, and i was just seeing the difference in fees, as i like to think i give a good deal and i like to justify my fees (to myself), i feel my hourly fee sounds a little higher than others but then with what i include and they dont sounds about fine to me.

    So i will go ahead and increase my fees for an extra 50p an hour as from jan, as i havnt increased my fees in 2 years with the same parent.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    away with the fairies...
    Posts
    358
    Registered Childminder since
    2009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What else do you include in your fees?

    Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    me! and all my toys/resources/experience!

    all outings etc to toddler groups, soft play etc. i was going to charge for big trips in the holidays, but irather than ruin a whole planned day out, by one parent saying no, i have decided to include it! ( but may charge a little more for whole day care in holidays? haven't decided yet! )

    parents supply nappies & wipes, but i have plenty of spare nappies & wipes!

    i charge for meals. parents supply babies food/milk. i don't charge for snacks.

    x
    This is the same as me now....although I do charge for snacks

    really useful to hear what others do - love this forum! x
    a mummy to a new puppy! My lovely King Charlie!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
What else do you include in your fees? What else do you include in your fees? What else do you include in your fees?

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk